Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Indochina Rock Ape or Wildman

Grim Reaper 6

indochinese Wild Man / Rock Ape  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a possiblity that a hominid Ape could exist in remote regions of Vietnam, Cambodia, and other location in Indochina

• Do you believe these Wild men exist in Indochina
    • I don't believe this Wild Men could exist
    • I am unsure by he current evidence that exists, that these Wild Men exist in Indochina
    • I believe their is a possibility that these Wild Men could exist in Indochina

The name Rock Ape was given to these Bipedal Apes by US Soldiers during the Vietnam War. However, they are also known as Wild Men by the local tribes living in the Central Highland of Vietnam and Cambodia. Stories of these of these so called Wild Men with tails go back almost 200 year, when European Missionaries  were told about them by Native Vietnamese, and by encounters some of these Missionaries had with the so called Wild Men themselve. The interesting part of this story is the description of the Creature, they are said to be around 6 ft tall, bipedal, covered with brown or reddish colored hair, with a face that appears humanoid, and with what appears to be a tail. The descriptions from over 100 years ago are a match for what US Soldiers have seen and described. US Soldiers gave them the name Rock Ape, because these creatures would throw rather large rocks into US Compounds located in the Central Highlands Region and also at Soldiers during patrols.

In few cases Soldiers were injured by being hit with rocks thought to be thrown by some of these creatures. Let me says this I am not a believer in Big Foot for the most obvious reason of all, according to fossil history there has never been a Great Ape at any time in the Past that was known to live in the Americas. While there have been and still are monkeys in South and Central America there has never been anything resembling a Great Ape found alive or fossilized anywhere in the Americas. However, this is not the case in Indochina where Great Apes are still found in this area, along with fossilized examples of the currently living Great Apes. In addition specimens of Great Apes that died out around 100,000 years ago such as Gigantopithecus. also inhabited these regions for many millions of years. The area where these Wild Men or so called Rock Apes were encountered, has never been mapped, or even really exploded by anyone other than possible by indigenous people who still live in the Area.

The Mountainous Regions of the Central Highlands are uninhabited to this day, the indigenous people living in this region today acknowledge the existence of these creatures, however, they do not travel into areas where these so called Wild Men are known to inhabit and this has been their policy far back into their tribal records. So is there a possibility that there is an unidentified hominid ape living in the mountainous regions of Vietnam, Cambodia, and other surrounding regions? In my opinion given what is known about the area, along with the fact that it has been inhabited by Great Apes going back more than a million years and still is, I think the possibility may exist. However, the reason I started this thread is to start a discussion on the subject and give others the opportunity to make up their own minds with the evidence I have found to present or with other evidence we may discover along the way.

Here is the best video available on this subject, this gentleman is very creditable and is certainly is not a crack pot: There were also investigations done by the same members of the finding Bigfoot Team, it is not creditable at all just like the finding Bigfoot TV series.

Here are some links to written articles on this subject if you are interested in learning more about this subject:

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=IxzODAAAQBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=indochinas+rock+apes&source=bl&ots=6p602T5FS4&sig=ACfU3U1w-r7wMqJ4boLLNqtHUzTX29pZKA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig4vOIppXqAhWKyIsBHeUKBeUQ6AEwCXoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=indochinas rock apes&f=false

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/rock-apes-not-a-70s-rock-band.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/sep/08/orang-pendek-sumatra-mystery-ape

Homo floresiensis is listed in the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis

Peace 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 8

Nope, I don't believe they exist and my stepfather and all his pals never encountered one 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The name Rock Ape was a racist term for the locals as I was told by my uncle who was conscripted to fight there.I never heard any stories from him about BF type creatures.

• Like 6

It's not strange that soldiers claimed to have seen Rock Apes in the Jungle the stress most likely made them see things.  I would say the Rock Apes exist but only in the human mind 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It's not strange that soldiers claimed to have seen Rock Apes in the Jungle the stress most likely made them see things.  I would say the Rock Apes exist but only in the human mind 

I would normally agree with you the reports go back almost 200 years, the first Europeans were Missionaries  and some of them had encounters with them, and they matched the description  of the Soldiers fighting in Vietnam

Peace, if you did not watch the video, please watch it..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, openozy said:

The name Rock Ape was a racist term for the locals as I was told by my uncle who was conscripted to fight there.I never heard any stories from him about BF type creatures.

In all the research I have done the Vietnamese, were never called Rock Apes, Soldiers had different names for Asians, if you didn't watch the video please watch it, it is really good and the guy who made the video  is not a crack pot

Peace 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

In all the research I have done the Vietnamese, were never called Rock Apes, Soldiers had different names for Asians, if you didn't watch the video please watch it, it is really good and the guy who mad  is not A CRACK POT/

Peace 

I'm just going on what my uncle told me on this,I'm not totally against the idea of a missing link surviving in remote jungles.

• Like 3

Well until recently, no one believed in the existence of hobbit-like human ancestors whose remains  was found on the island of Flores(Indonesia). Iguess, everything is possible..

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nope, I don't believe they exist and my stepfather and all his pals never encountered one 

Piney, I joined the Army in 1979, almost all the senior NCO's were Vietnam Vets,  my first unit was FT Stewart, Ga I was assigned to the HHC 2/21st Infantry. During the first field problem I went on, while in the TOC the SGM, my 1st Sergeant, and some senior NCO's who were all Vietnam Vets were talking about this very subject. It turns out the SGM was telling everyone  that he had seen one these things in1967 while on patrol, he said he was so freaked out by the dam thing he could not even shoot at it. All of them agreed that they heard about these creatures while in Vietnam. That is were I got the idea about this thread, for some reason I just thought about that night in the TOC this morning. Plus if you look at the area, this was happening it does make it possible.

Peace

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Well until recently, no one believed in the existence of hobbit-like human ancestors whose remains  was found on the island of Flores(Indonesia). Iguess, everything is possible..

It suspected they could be from the same species. I put a link about them above,

PEACE

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm just going on what my uncle told me on this,I'm not totally against the idea of a missing link surviving in remote jungles.

Sorry about the caps I hit cap lock and I didn't notice it,

Peace

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Piney, I joined the Army in 1979, almost all the senior NCO's were Vietnam Vets,  my first unit was FT Stewart, Ga I was assigned to the HHC 2/21st Infantry. During the first field problem I went on, while in the TOC the SGM, my 1st Sergeant, and some senior NCO's who were all Vietnam Vets were talking about this very subject. It turns out the SGM was telling everyone  that he had seen one these things in1967 while on patrol, he said he was so freaked out by the dam thing he could not even shoot at it. All of them agreed that they heard about these creatures while in Vietnam. That is were I got the idea about this thread, for some reason I just thought about that night in the TOC this morning. Plus if you look at the area, this was happening it does make it possible.

Peace

They heard stories. Especially among the hill tribes they hobnobbed with. When we saw the Minnesota Iceman in Kansas my father said he heard it was shot by a 11FOX in the Rangers. They just never encountered one. 

There were 3 other species of human interacting with H.S.Sapien. They could of been memories of any of one those.

• Like 5

Wasn't the infamous 'Minnesota Iceman' a human-like hominid killed in Danang Vietnam, and flown to the U.S later? ^_^

• Haha 2

@Manwon Lender

My class mates dad was in Nam his name was Leslie shaps remember him showing me pictures of his Platoon it was very sad cause not many of them survived the war anyways he did not speak of Rock Apes.

I am sort of ambivalent when it comes to this question cause it could be many things. Since it has been seen by both sides It' very plausible they mistook some sort of common animal for rock apes im not sure that this would be some kind of unknown speices but then again we still make new  discoveries. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 2

I joined the Marines in 75 and I never heard any stories of rock apes by the Marines that served in combat over there. But I'm sure there would've been a "Yeah OK" stigma attached to anyone that would've shared their story.

• Like 1

I voted: I believe their is a possibility that these Wild Men could exist in Indochina

I also believe in Bigfoot for which I am much more familiar. I am one that believes Bigfoot has attributes we would call paranormal such as the ability to become invisible to our normal plane of reality! Such things may be the case with this so-called Rack Ape but I have heard much less about it. 

I am also skeptical of the skeptics of the paranormal/alien/crypto in general. If it is too revolutionary their walls come up way too high. I believe from the quantity, quality and consistency of the evidence that there are vast realms of things beyond our current mainstream science. The quantity, quality and consistency of these Rock Ape claims has me leaning to the side that something unknown is really going on.

Ape or human or hybrid?? I think Bigfoot is most likely a mostly human hybrid (more human than ape).

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe these Rock Apes was/are something similiar to the mysterious Bill Apes that inhabit Bill forest in the Congo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bili_ape

340?cb=20150319040948

Lion Killers are just oversize chimps. They are known now.  Although they prove Edgar Rice Burroughs who portrayed them as Tarzan's buddies was right. 

It would have to be related to the orangutan or a hominid if it existed. 

Homo erectus and Denisovans both existed alongside of humans up until about 12,000 years ago. They also could of been a now extinct Negrito forest tribe who avoided the prehistoric Austroasiatic People . 

• Like 5

I have a question based on personal ignorance.

Could modern homo sapiens with stone age technology  be mistaken for a rock ape as described?  Even from recent centuries, wanderers through SE Asia, maybe originating in New Guinea, might be primitive, shy, malnourished and unkempt..not to mention justifiably terrified by predatory locals with better technology.   Encounters might frequently result in death after all. 

It is hard to maintain much technology or good health  when one is nearly alone, and on the move, maybe far from family and home territory. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

@Manwon Lender

My class mates dad was in Nam his name was Leslie shaps remember him showing me pictures of his Platoon it was very sad cause not many of them survived the war anyways he did not speak of Rock Apes.

I am sort of ambivalent when it comes to this question cause it could be many things. Since it has been seen by both sides It' very plausible they mistook some sort of common animal for rock apes im not sure that this would be some kind of unknown speices but then again we still make new  discoveries. 

As far as I know, rock ape was a slanderous term for villagers in Vietnam. They'd throw rocks at helicopters. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

As far as I know, rock ape was a slanderous term for villagers in Vietnam. They'd throw rocks at helicopters. 

@HandsomeGorilla

Look at the vid 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

If haven't watched the video, please watch it. The guy who made it isn't some nut trying to sell a story, it's a good video especially the way is was presented

Peace.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I have a question based on personal ignorance.

Could modern homo sapiens with stone age technology  be mistaken for a rock ape as described?  Even from recent centuries, wanderers through SE Asia, maybe originating in New Guinea, might be primitive, shy, malnourished and unkempt..not to mention justifiably terrified by predatory locals with better technology.   Encounters might frequently result in death after all. 

It is hard to maintain much technology or good health  when one is nearly alone, and on the move, maybe far from family and home territory. 

It's hard to say, but that could be possible, but the descriptions form hundreds of people don't really fit with that. If you didn't watch the video, please watch it.

Peace

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Lion Killers are just oversize chimps. They are known now.  Although they prove Edgar Rice Burroughs who portrayed them as Tarzan's buddies was right. 

It would have to be related to the orangutan or a hominid if it existed. 

Homo erectus and Denisovans both existed alongside of humans up until about 12,000 years ago. They also could of been a now extinct Negrito forest tribe who avoided the prehistoric Austroasiatic People . 

Homo Floresiensis, is a possible choice but accord to the fossil record for Flores, Indonesia  the remains that were found on the Island were first thought to be around 12,000 years old, however, more recent testing have push that date back to around 50,000 years old. But while they died out on the Island, it doesnt mean they also died out on the main land in extremely remote areas like the Central Highlands of Vietnam or even Cambodia

Peace Bro