Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

We vote like 13 year olds

Desertrat56

Hasan Minhaj nails it on this one about what is wrong with our elections.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The biggest reason Trump was elected was because of the "vindictive vote". Everybody wanted to screw Hillary.

I know Bernie Boys who voted for Trump just to be dicks and all my Marine friends hated him but voted "against Hillary". 

• Like 8

Just now, Eldorado said:

We vote like 13yr-olds?  I reckon that's an insult.

Kids avoid shady characters; adults hire them.

Kids tend to vote against someone they hate.  That is the point of the title.

• Like 5

I vote based on educating myself regarding the platform of positions held by those offering themselves up for the position being elected.

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

The biggest reason Trump was elected was because of the "vindictive vote". Everybody wanted to screw Hillary.

I know Bernie Boys who voted for Trump just to be dicks and all my Marine friends hated him but voted "against Hillary". 

Well when one side offers a bull **** candidate and the other offers a cow **** candidate...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Jarocal said:

Well when one side offers a bull **** candidate and the other offers a cow **** candidate...

I'll be the first to admit I wanted to see Trump beat Hillary just because it was Hillary. 

I just thought he'd be another Gerald Ford but  Gerald wasn't a traitor or a Fundy puppet.  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

My nephew voted that way too.  I told him, "you have 3 clowns and you have to choose one, why not choose the happy clown instead of one of the scary clowns."  That's the way I felt about it, even with a third choice it wasn't great but at least one of them was not trying to denegrate half the country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'll be the first to admit I wanted to see Trump beat Hillary just because it was Hillary. 

I just thought he'd be another Gerald Ford but  Gerald wasn't a traitor or a Fundy puppet.  

I was hoping enough Sanders's boys would defect to the green party and enough conservatives would go libertarian to ensure 4 podiums this cycle at the debates.

At the very least ot would have be a warning shot to both main parties to get their houses in order.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

All the people who voted that way could have voted for Gary and beat both reprobates.  You must never have watched Trump on television if you thought he would be like Ford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jarocal said:

I was hoping enough Sanders's boys would defect to the green party and enough conservatives would go libertarian to ensure 4 podiums this cycle at the debates.

At the very least ot would have be a warning shot to both main parties to get their houses in order.

You can't vote for the green party in all 50 states so what's the point in that?  If you want the green to be a viable 4th party help them get on the ballot in all 50 states.  So far they have not risen to the occassion.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Kids tend to vote against someone they hate.  That is the point of the title.

Kids are more genuine. They wouldn't re-elect folk who've robbed them.  Mostly cos they'd have lynched them.

Adults are the prize BSers.

Only 20% of the US Electorate trust polticians, yet the two most respected men in America are Obama and Trump.  lol

The land of make believe, for adults.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

All the people who voted that way could have voted for Gary and beat both reprobates.  You must never have watched Trump on television if you thought he would be like Ford.

I didn't. I just knew him from the meetings with various tribal chiefs and thought he was a bumbling fool. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I didn't. I just knew him from the meetings with various tribal chiefs and thought he was a bumbling fool. 

You never noticed he was an angry bumbling fool?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You can't vote for the green party in all 50 states so what's the point in that?  If you want the green to be a viable 4th party help them get on the ballot in all 50 states.  So far they have not risen to the occassion.

I only mentioned the  green party as I didn't have the inclination that Bernie boys would suddenly jump to the libertarian ticket. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jarocal said:

I only mentioned the  green party as I didn't have the inclination that Bernie boys would suddenly jump to the libertarian ticket. 

I have been hoping we could get the green party in the fray in all 50 states, but they seem to just be used to divide and conquer for the democrats like the libertatian does locally for the republicans.  I think we need more than 4 viable parties.

• Like 3

That's because most people have the emotional and intellectual maturity of a 13 year old. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I vote based on educating myself regarding the platform of positions held by those offering themselves up for the position being elected.

That becomes more difficult as platforms get more fuzzy and feel-good packaged.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Kids are more genuine. They wouldn't re-elect folk who've robbed them.  Mostly cos they'd have lynched them.

Adults are the prize BSers.

Only 20% of the US Electorate trust polticians, yet the two most respected men in America are Obama and Trump.  lol

The land of make believe, for adults.

Truly. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Did you watch the video?

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I have been hoping we could get the green party in the fray in all 50 states, but they seem to just be used to divide and conquer for the democrats like the libertatian does locally for the republicans.  I think we need more than 4 viable parties.

I think we need one election where a 3rd party is strong enough to force the House of representatives tie breaker and the resulting backlash on the two main parties by voters. Mid-term elections would become very interesting two years after.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Even so, the problem outlined in the video would hold true.   Under our system if there were four candidates running and the one who got the most votes got only 28%, that person would still win.

Just now, Jarocal said:

I think we need one election where a 3rd party is strong enough to force the House of representatives tie breaker and the resulting backlash on the two main parties by voters. Mid-term elections would become very interesting two years after.

No, we need ranked voting, like Hasan described.  It is working really well in Maine.  Any state can change to use that rather than primaries.  It would fix a lot of the problems we have with elections and campaigns that go on for 4 years instead of a reasonable 6 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1