Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fleeting universe

Damien99

So I think that this article just implied the end of the universe is fleeting (coming fast) 

If the universe is fleeting, how is all of the stuff that we do worth doing?

That’s a huge thing that I’ve wrestled with in the course of writing this book, and I don’t think I came to a solid conclusion. It’s different from a personal death, because people think about their own death and they think, well, I’ll live on in some way through my children or my great works, or just the impact I had on the people around me. There will be some legacy to my existence in some way. But if it’s the whole cosmos that’s ending, that is no longer true. I think there’s a point at which you did not matter. And I don’t think we have the emotional or philosophical tools to wrestle with that.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-will-the-universe-end-katie-mack-explains-20200622/

Fleeting is a relative term.

Your sentence "the end of the universe is fleeting" does not mean  the end of the universe is at hand.  It is a nonsense sentence.  You may have meant "the universe is fleeting" which would mean it doesn't last long, but something as old as the universe is now cannot be considered "fleeting" unless you are a being that is so old you remember when this universe did not exist and expect that in two of your eye blinks it will be gone. 

Why are you always so fixated on the end of everything?  You need to get outside and get some sunshine, talk to a real human face to face.  Play with a puppy or something.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

If the universe is fleeting, how is all of the stuff that we do worth doing?

Are you a member of a doomsday cult or something??????

23 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I think there’s a point at which you did not matter. And I don’t think we have the emotional or philosophical tools to wrestle with that.

I beg to differ! Although the Christian religion is a crutch to deal with such, as a Zen Buddhist I don't even think about it. 

Enjoy life. Do what you want to do and don't think about non-existence. I was born with a time bomb in my chest. My heart could short out and stop at anytime. It's been that way since birth. I don't even think about it. I just do what I want to do and achieve what I want to achieve. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Are you a member of a doomsday cult or something??????

I beg to differ! Although the Christian religion is a crutch to deal with such, as a Zen Buddhist I don't even think about it. 

Enjoy life. Do what you want to do and don't think about non-existence. I was born with a time bomb in my chest. My heart could short out and stop at anytime. It's been that way since birth. I don't even think about it. I just do what I want to do and achieve what I want to achieve. 

No not at all but it seems that that question just admitted it’s ending soon

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Fleeting is a relative term.

Your sentence "the end of the universe is fleeting" does not mean  the end of the universe is at hand.  It is a nonsense sentence.  You may have meant "the universe is fleeting" which would mean it doesn't last long, but something as old as the universe is now cannot be considered "fleeting" unless you are a being that is so old you remember when this universe did not exist and expect that in two of your eye blinks it will be gone. 

Why are you always so fixated on the end of everything?  You need to get outside and get some sunshine, talk to a real human face to face.  Play with a puppy or something.

I am just going by the question and answer in the interview. Is states the universe is fleeting, lasting for a very short time 

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

Nope, that's just your wishful thinking. 

You repeatedly quote articles you don't understand. 

You repeatedly make the false claim that article says the universe is about to end.

You repeatedly have it explained to you why you are wrong.

You repeatedly make a fool of yourself arguing about something that you are clueless about. 

Then you do it all again. 

Tell me Damien, do you think your behaviour is normal?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Nope, that's just your wishful thinking. 

You repeatedly quote articles you don't understand. 

You repeatedly make the false claim that article says the universe is about to end.

You repeatedly have it explained to you why you are wrong.

You repeatedly make a fool of yourself arguing about something that you are clueless about. 

Then you do it all again. 

Tell me Damien, do you think your behaviour is normal?

No it’s not normal, but how can you claim I am wrong with what was posted in the article 

Oy Vey. Again?

8 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

The Article says nothing about "soon". In fact it uses words like "ultimate future". I.e. far, far away from a human perspective. You won't be here to see the universe end. Your descendants won't be here to see it end. Most likely the human race won't be around to see it end, because life on Earth and the planet itself are  gonna end a whole lot sooner than the universe.
And even when the universe ends. There's a good chance it has happened before (perhpas even many times) and there will be a new universe. Hell, we don't even know whether this is the only universe. Existence and life will likely continue or rise again.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

I am just going by the question and answer in the interview. Is states the universe is fleeting, lasting for a very short time 

Based on whose perspective?  Did you get that part?  Who considers it fleeting and why?  Why do you keep finding and misunderstanding so  many doomsday links?  And trying to tun things that are not doomsday into that?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

No it’s not normal, but how can you claim I am wrong with what was posted in the article 

We have done it over and over by explaining that you are misunderstanding or misusing the words.

• Like 3

The article you have quoted gives three possible ends for the universe. Heat death, the big rip and vacuum decay.

Heat death and the big rip lat many, many billions of years in the future. 

As usual you have ignored the facts when it comes to vacuum decay, because the facts don't agree with your own, ignorance based, beliefs.

This is what you have ignored:

However, I would say that most physicists, although we take it very seriously, we mostly don’t believe it’s going to happen. 

So people that are experts don't believe it will happen. 

You, who has less knowledge of basic science than the average 7 year old do think it's going to happen. 

That should tell you something,  but it won't. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Based on whose perspective?  Did you get that part?  Who considers it fleeting and why?  Why do you keep finding and misunderstanding so  many doomsday links?  And trying to tun things that are not doomsday into that?

It was an interview with an astrophysicist 

9 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

No it’s not normal, 

Again that should tell you something. 

10 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

,but how can you claim I am wrong with what was posted in the article 

Simple, because I understand the article and you don't. 

Because I don't ignore large parts of the article and you do.

Because my behaviour regarding science is normal and yours, by your own admission, is not.

• Like 3

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Again that should tell you something. 

Simple, because I understand the article and you don't. 

Because I don't ignore large parts of the article and you do.

Because my behaviour regarding science is normal and yours, by your own admission, is not.

I read the whole article but that last question struck me 

3 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

It was an interview with an astrophysicist 

It was NOT a statement by the astrophysist, it was a question to him.

You can't even understand that much.

• Like 4

Just now, Damien99 said:

You may have read it all but you understood none of it.

Now you have been asked repeatedly to stop spamming the forum with multiple topics on this subject. This is the last time you will be asked politely. 

• Like 2

How old are you? 

1 minute ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It was NOT a statement by the astrophysist, it was a question to him.

You can't even understand that much.

Yes I read the question and the answer and they both imply it. Also the astrophysicist did not correct it 

22 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

The universe is waayyyyy to young for that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

So your saying the article and Katie Mack are lying then and what does my age have to do with anything 

Edited by Damien99

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

^This

The last time I read about the whole thing the univers is still going to exist for a long, long, long while in the way it does now. We are only in the beginning of the time period when rocky planets can form. Earth is a first generation one, of many more generations to come.
And after that there's still likely going to be entire stages int he life cycle of the universe before it winds down.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Damien99 said:

errrrrmmmm...

That's a good age for a existential crisis. I started fighting,and competing with a chainsaw again at 40. 

That's what it sounds like your having. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So your saying the article and Katie Mack are lying then

No, like Waspie said you misread it. 

• Like 2