Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fleeting universe

Damien99

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

errrrrmmmm...

That's a good age for a existential crisis. I started fighting,and competing with a chainsaw again at 40. 

That's what it sounds like your having. 

I don’t understand crisis part and how did I misread the question pretty much states what I said explain how I am misreading it 

18 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

It was an interview with an astrophysicist 

Right, and as @Waspie_Dwarf & @Orphalesionpointed out the astrophysicist did not say the end was eminent, just speculated on how it could happen.  You keep reading speculation as if it is right now, when no one ever says it is.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, and as @Waspie_Dwarf & @Orphalesionpointed out the astrophysicist did not say the end was eminent, just speculated on how it could happen.  You keep reading speculation as if it is right now, when no one ever says it is.

That question implies it with the word fleeting 

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Journalistic sensationalism. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

But the ANSWER DID NOT!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

But the ANSWER DID NOT!!!

Calm down Rat.:unsure2:

Have some ginger tea. :o

• Haha 3

Just now, Piney said:

Calm down Rat.:unsure2:

Have some ginger tea. :o

I still think he should go play with the neighbor's puppy, get a fresh breath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

That's just a word that sound nice and dramatic in an article so that people will read iot and make noise about it. Modern Journalism 101.

Plus, it's relative. For a human a day is fleeting, for a mayfly it's their entire existence.
Form a human perspective the universe will still exist for an unfathomable amount of time. And even to talk about legacy in that context is quite silly. Because nothing about the human civilization is gonna last long enough to even see the beginning of the beginning of the beginning of the beginning (etc) of the end of the universe. Our whole world and all traces that humans ever were will long have been swallowed  up by deep time before out universe even starts to end.

But that doesn't mean that things are pointless or don't matter, because right now it's our time and our universe and who cares what happens in the far reaches of future eons?

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Piney said:

errrrrmmmm...

That's a good age for a existential crisis. I started fighting,and competing with a chainsaw again at 40. 

That's what it sounds like your having. 

I've never had an existential crisis, what's that???:whistle:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

That's just a word that sound nice and dramatic in an article so that people will read iot and make noise about it. Modern Journalism 101.

Plus, it's relative. For a human a day is fleeting, for a mayfly it's their entire existence.
Form a human perspective the universe will still exist for an unfathomable amount of time. And even to talk about legacy in that context is quite silly. Because nothing about the human civilization is gonna last long enough to even see the beginning of the beginning of the beginning of the beginning (etc) of the universe. Our whole world will long have been swallowed and all traces that humans ever were will long have been swallowed  up by deep time before out universe even starts to end.

But that doesn't mean that things are pointless or don't matter, because right now it's our time and our universe and who cares what happens in the far reaches of future eons?

Of course things are pointless and don't matter, it means you don't need to take everything so serious. Time is fleeting.....

• Like 3

Just now, XenoFish said:

Of course things are pointless and don't matter, it means you don't need to take everything so serious. Time is fleeting.....

Tmato To-mahto, I think we mean the same thing. Let's not take things serious and who cares what happens in trillions of years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Tmato To-mahto, I think we mean the same thing. Let's not take things serious and who cares what happens in trillions of years.

Focus on the little goals and become the kind of person you'd be proud of when you're on your death bed. Pretty much sums it up for me. I think the whole forum witness my existential crisis. Rage and all.

• Like 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

Focus on the little goals and become the kind of person you'd be proud of when you're on your death bed. Pretty much sums it up for me. .

Yeop I agree with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

Explain how it did not 

And in some sense this is the end of time?

From a physics perspective, if you define the arrow of time to be the direction of increasing entropy, once you reach the heat death, the arrow of time ceases to exist. And if there’s no arrow of time, I don’t know what the point of time is anymore.

If you read more carefully you can see that it didn't even answer the question, much less say "yes" in any way that could be construed.  Any time someone answers a "yes/no" question with a paragraph the answer will be No. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And in some sense this is the end of time?

From a physics perspective, if you define the arrow of time to be the direction of increasing entropy, once you reach the heat death, the arrow of time ceases to exist. And if there’s no arrow of time, I don’t know what the point of time is anymore.

If you read more carefully you can see that it didn't even answer the question, much less say "yes" in any way that could be construed.  Any time someone answers a "yes/no" question with a paragraph the answer will be No. 

That wasn’t the question I posted about 

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've never had an existential crisis, what's that???:whistle:

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

@Damien99

Do you think your life is pointless?

Are you struggling for meaning?

Why do you so deeply wish for the death of this universe?

No I am asking because I was under Impression universe will not end in our lifetime or son but the article question says different 

Just now, Damien99 said:

No I am asking because I was under Impression universe will not end in our lifetime or son but the article question says different 

What does it matter? Can you actually change it if it does? From what I can tell life is just a roll of the dice. You never truly know what'll happen. You seem very obsessed with this idea of everything ending. 

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

What does it matter? Can you actually change it if it does? From what I can tell life is just a roll of the dice. You never truly know what'll happen. You seem very obsessed with this idea of everything ending. 

So then it is true 

• Haha 1

Just now, Damien99 said:

So then it is true 

That the universe will end. Yeah, just like our lives. Now you've got a choice.

1)Keep worrying.

2)Live your life.

Fretting over this isn't productive. Won't lead you anywhere good. And is honestly a waste of time. I happen to agree with Piney, it sounds like you're going though either a mid life or existential crisis, maybe both. 

• Like 3

Okay, I've got a question. Does anyone else think the lady in the article looks like Weird Al?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Okay, I've got a question. Does anyone else think the lady in the article looks like Weird Al?

not to mention either the article is poorly put together or the interviewee doesn't answer questions that are asked.

• Like 4