Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

8 children drown in failed rescue attempt

Still Waters

Floods are wreaking havoc in China, an exceptionally wet year overall all over South Asia 

By Jeff Masters, Ph.D. | Friday, June 19, 2020
Torrential June downpours inundating southeast China have triggered destructive floods, leaving 63 people dead or missing and causing at least $2.9 billion in damage, according to the China Ministry of Emergency Management.4 days ago

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Sad 7

Jesus, seven children trying to rescue one child and they all end up dead. 

• Sad 7

Heartbreaking. I hope it's a wake up call. Children should be taught water safety from an early age. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Heartbreaking. I hope it's a wake up call. Children should be taught water safety from an early age. 

Our daughter is Chinese American.   We adopted her at six and when she took her first bath, her mom had to practically get in with her because she'd never been in one.  They had only showered at the orphanage.  By the time we took her to the Y the next year to be taught to swim, I STILL had to show her that submerging her head was safe.

Six years later, she was a swimming instructor at a different YMCA and still keeps her lifeguard certification up to date.

God, what a an awful thing for those parents...

• Like 9

heartbreaking......:(

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, and then said:

Our daughter is Chinese American.   We adopted her at six and when she took her first bath, her mom had to practically get in with her because she'd never been in one.  They had only showered at the orphanage.  By the time we took her to the Y the next year to be taught to swim, I STILL had to show her that submerging her head was safe.

Six years later, she was a swimming instructor at a different YMCA and still keeps her lifeguard certification up to date.

And that's exactly how it should be done. Well done on your daughter's part as well. What a sense of accomplishment that must have been for her.

• Like 4

this puts many of the other threads into perspective.

48 minutes ago, and then said:

That's awesome. Well done and good for you guys :)

That is just so heartbreaking and awful for everyone involved. I am so happy that back in the old country when I was a kid, swimming lessons were part of the curriculum in elementary schools. Every Wednesday afternoon our whole class went to the closest swimming pool for lessons. At the end of the school year there was this big test and to pass this test, you needed to be able to show the basic strokes (breast and back stroke and breast and back-crawl), be able to float, swim a length in shorts, T-shirt and shoes and swim under water through a gap in a tarpaulin. Once passed you earned a diploma. Dutch swimming pools require those without diplomas to wear arm bands (not popular with the bigger kids as you can imagine) and many kids’ parties are held at swimming pools so you can bet that there are not that many kids without a swimming diploma in the Netherlands because you don't want to be that only kid that still needs arm bands to swim safely. 

• Like 3