Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amish teen missing

Myles

I assume this will be an OK thread in this section.   Perhaps I'm too early to post it here as we don't know if it was a crime.   OK to move if needed Mods.

An Amish teenager was reported missing from rural Pennsylvania after failing to return home from church over the weekend, according to police and social media reports.

Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, was last seen around noon Sunday walking from a religious service in Bird-in-Hand in Lancaster County, according to a Facebook page dedicated to her disappearance. She was supposed to go to a meeting with her youth group, but never made it there, according to local FOX 43.

The woman's parents reported the disappearance to police on Monday morning and said it was unusual for her to take off without telling anyone, the outlet reported.

Linda Stoltzfoos (East Lampeter Township Police Department)

"She didn't indicate to anyone that she wanted to go take a trip," Hess said, "so it's very out of character for Linda to do this."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/amish-teenager-missing-rural-pennsylvania

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

32 minutes ago, susieice said:

She's all over the news here. I hope they find this young lady safe and soon.

Considering her age she might of did a clandestine Rumspringa with an outsider. 

This happened often in New Holland but never made the news. 

I hope whoever she's with is not a mental case and she wasn't taken against her will. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Considering her age she might of did a clandestine Rumspringa with an outsider. 

This happened often in New Holland but never made the news. 

I hope whoever she's with is not a mental case and she wasn't taken against her will. 

I thought about this. It's rare to see this in the news about the Amish. They're real to themselves when dealing with things within their communities. They made this public really quick as I was seeing it already early yesterday morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, susieice said:

I thought about this. It's rare to see this in the news about the Amish. They're real to themselves when dealing with things within their communities. They made this public really quick as I was seeing it already early yesterday morning. 

Some of the ones that hung out at the New Holland Auction so they can smoke weed and jam music would bail all the time. The Amish guy who named me "Piney" hopped on a stock truck at 15 from there, hit the cowboy trail and didn't return until he was in his late 30s. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Some of the ones that hung out at the New Holland Auction so they can smoke weed and jam music would bail all the time. The Amish guy who named me "Piney" hopped on a stock truck at 15 from there, hit the cowboy trail and didn't return until he was in his late 30s. 

I'm hoping she just  took a break from the Amish (loophole) lifestyle in order to check out the other side.   You would have thought maybe she would have at least called home once this became so public.

• Like 5

I think that's why the family expressed that she had shown no signs of wanting to travel. Rumspringa is a bit more common among males than females but it does happen. The Amish encourage it. I wonder why they raised the alarm so quickly here. I sure hope she's ok. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

https://www.foxnews.com/us/amish-teenager-missing-rural-pennsylvania

"Pennsylvania State Police are now assisting with the investigation and said Stoltzfoos is believed to be "at special risk of harm or injury.""

there must be something about her that makes it more than an 18 year old walking away. Of course the circumstances are worrisome, but it sounds more personal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm hoping she just  took a break from the Amish (loophole) lifestyle in order to check out the other side.   You would have thought maybe she would have at least called home once this became so public.

That's what a Rumspringa is! :lol:

3 minutes ago, micahc said:

there must be something about her that makes it more than an 18 year old walking away. Of course the circumstances are worrisome, but it sounds more personal. 

There is a lot of broken chromosome neurological disorders from inbreeding. 

The Stoltzfus / Stoltzfoos family is loaded with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

There is a lot of broken chromosome neurological disorders from inbreeding. 

The Stoltzfus / Stoltzfoos family is loaded with it. 

what are you saying Piney?  My great grandmother was mennonite from Lancaster...lol.  i can count on my twelve toes how many times i have heard that...lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, micahc said:

what are you saying Piney?  My great grandmother was mennonite from Lancaster...lol.  i can count on my twelve toes how many times i have heard that...lol

The New Jersey Lenape are just as bad.  *Inbred Jackson Whites* LOL!! 

I actually have a broken chromosome and I'm missing about 12 genes. I have the pointed ears, bent little fingers, the wonky heart, one kidney and I am on the autistic spectrum.

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

The New Jersey Lenape are just as bad.  *Inbred Jackson Whites* LOL!! 

I actually have a broken chromosome and I'm missing about 12 genes. I have the pointed ears, bent little fingers, the wonky heart, one kidney and I am on the autistic spectrum.

that is like the spanish royal family for centuries.  this girl is 18 so she cant run away only walk away or someone has taken her, or worse.  perhaps she has a boyfriend among the english or a boy friend on rumspringa who she finally left with. I mean if you are Amish, you probably don't have much to take with you anyway.  Nothing you have could be worth much. Leaving in just the clothes on her back, would not be much more than packing her entire possessions.  The reaction by the family and authorities make we think there is more to it though.

Edited by micahc
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, micahc said:

that is like the spanish royal family for centuries.  this girl is 18 so she cant run away only walk away or someone has taken her, or worse.  perhaps she has a boyfriend among the english or a boy friend on rumspringa who she finally left with. I mean if you are Amish, you probably don't have much to take with you anyway.  Nothing you have could be worth much. Leaving in just the clothes on her back, would not be much more than packing her entire possessions.  The reaction by the family and authorities make we think there is more to it though.

What's funny is I know several that returned but even though they live in the community. They aren't practicing Amish. 

The Amish are not like Jehovah's Witnesses or the ICOC where they are evil about people leaving the church. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

The FBI is now involved in the search. This is really unusual! I sure hope this young lady is alright.

https://www.fox43.com/article/news/community/fbi-assisting-in-search-for-linda-stoltzfoos/521-b8f0d3db-1b3a-47ff-a899-ddd8b41100d5

• Thanks 1

Hope she is found soon.

• Like 3

At one time the Amish wouldn’t allow their faces to be photographed because of the likeness to a ‘graven image’. Colorful clothes, such as the young woman’s yellow blouse, were usually worn only at weddings. Apparently the rules have changed, or perhaps Ms. Stoltzfoos has a somewhat rebellious personality.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 1:16 PM, simplybill said:

At one time the Amish wouldn’t allow their faces to be photographed because of the likeness to a ‘graven image’. Colorful clothes, such as the young woman’s yellow blouse, were usually worn only at weddings. Apparently the rules have changed, or perhaps Ms. Stoltzfoos has a somewhat rebellious personality.

Most still avoid photos.  Not allowed to take their picture for school.  Different sects are different and some are more open to newer things.  Most familys have cell phones, freezers and motorized vehicles.   They keep them at a non-Amish neighbors, but they own them.  

• Like 2

The search is still on and public notices of her case are widening to other states now. Police do not believe she just ran away. She had no access to social media or electronics which makes the search harder.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/search-widens-for-amish-teen-missing-in-lancaster-county/article_9f4db38c-bb3f-11ea-a7c4-63f30cc99361.html?fbclid=IwAR3HFbbByHEs4tmNq151x0ftG3KyoeQHUonxPyfAln2_eKcQZ1-PGUXnWZ4

• Sad 1

Oh boy.   I have to say that the odds of her turning up alive are not great.    Still holding out hopes.   

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Word is just coming out within the last half hour that a 34 yr old man has been charged with Linda's disappearance. I'll post when more info is available. Linda's whereabouts are still unknown. Investigators say there is reason to believe she was harmed after her abduction. They found articles of clothing they believe are hers buried in a wooded area. The article explains everything.

So sad :cry:

https://lancaster.crimewatchpa.com/da/11617/post/paradise-man-charged-kidnapping-18yo-linda-stoltzfoos-search-stoltzfoos-continues

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 3