Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bubba Wallace noose incident

Knob Oddy

I found this interesting, but didn't want to comment until the full story came out. Look on the bright side, at least it's not a Jussie Smollett situation.

As heartwarming as the sight of NASCAR drivers and crews pushing Bubba Wallace onto the track after a noose was found in his stall was, his mother said auto racing hasn’t always been so welcoming.

“This is not his first incident,” Desiree Wallace said Monday on SiriusXM’s “Joe Madison Show.” 

She learned of the incident Sunday when her son told her in a FaceTime conversation, “There’s been a hate crime against me.” She grew concerned because of what she said was a defeated look on his face.

“I said, ‘Look, that was an act of fear.’ I said, ‘They’re more afraid of you than you are of them.’ I said, ‘It was a cowardly act,’” she said. “I said, ‘And, at the end of the day, you don’t allow them to strip away your character or your integrity.’ I said: ‘You go out there tomorrow and you kick some butt. That’s what you do.’ ”

washington post

But, the FBI has since completed an investigation which found.....View image on Twitter

So it wasn't a noose left in the garage, it was the garage door pull rope which had been tied in that way since at least October last year. Many other drivers must have used that garage as well without seeing it as a "threat". 

Is this another example of conditioning minorities to see transgressions when none exist? Thoughts?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I found this interesting, but didn't want to comment until the full story came out. Look on the bright side, at least it's not a Jussie Smollett situation.

washington post

But, the FBI has since completed an investigation which found.....View image on Twitter

So it wasn't a noose left in the garage, it was the garage door pull rope which had been tied in that way since at least October last year. Many other drivers must have used that garage as well without seeing it as a "threat". 

Is this another example of conditioning minorities to see transgressions when none exist? Thoughts?

Your link is a pay site. Got another? Not to mention that racism is at a high right now with extreme tension, so if you were black, wouldnt you think the worst? Lynching blacks was a common activity for a long time, no? I would think that almost qualifies as an ancestral fear memory that's carried by many African Americans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Your link is a pay site. Got another? Not to mention that racism is at a high right now with extreme tension, so if you were black, wouldnt you think the worst? Lynching blacks was a common activity for a long time, no? I would think that almost qualifies as an ancestral fear memory that's carried by many African Americans.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/noose-found-bubba-wallace-garage-221615427.html

my understanding is, Bubba did not find the noose and never saw it. One of his crew found it and reported it to NASCAR.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, micahc said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/noose-found-bubba-wallace-garage-221615427.html

my understanding is, Bubba did not find the noose and never saw it. One of his crew found it and reported it to NASCAR.  

I did not know that. Thank you. So the op is wrong, because he's intimating that Bubba was racially conditioned to fear the noose. Do you know if the person who found it was Black? It may have been a white crewmate who found it? 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

I did not know that. Thank you. So the op is wrong, because he's intimating that Bubba was racially conditioned to fear the noose. Do you know if the person who found it was Black? It may have been a white crewmate who found it? 

https://deadline.com/2020/06/bubba-wallace-reacts-noose-found-garage-nascar-investigating-1202965601/

"According to the sports network, Wallace never saw the noose; it was first seen by a member of his team, who alerted NASCAR. The incident happened at Talladega, which was scheduled to host a race Sunday."

It didn't say if the crew member is white. odds are they are. I think given the current climate, a noose would be interpreted as a threat by anybody.  I am sure bubba is getting lots of threats as it is by the confederate flag worshiping morons, so that played a role in the reaction.

Edited by micahc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't say you did. I apologize if it looks that way. I came to my own conclusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

Because of covid, there are very few people who have access to the inner track and garage areas. Like everywhere else on Earth, there are cameras. None of the drivers had access to the garage area. They went straight from their mobile homes to their vehicles on the track. The number of the crew allowed access was very limited and there was a list of which ones would be given access. They had to check in. Bubba never saw the noose. No Smollet here. Bubba drives for Richard Petty, a living legend in NASCAR, who was furious when he heard this. So were the drivers.

I found this article just now. No one knew this particular stall would be Wallace's until they were assigned.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34315/fbi-noose-found-in-bubba-wallaces-garage-was-a-door-pull-rope

Here's a picture of his pit crew in blue.

2020-06-23T215404Z_1_LYNXMPEG5M22Z_RTROPTP_4_MOTOR-NASCAR.jpg.jpg

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

With things the way they are today, anything that could be seen as a threat needs to be investigated. One was done and thankfully it turned out alright. I don't begrudge the man the investigation. A lot of people started yelling Smollet. That just goes to show how wrong what Smollet did really was.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's not better to me, that a garage pull, tied in a hangman's noose, was present for half a year before anyone said anything...

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

It's not better to me, that a garage pull, tied in a hangman's noose, was present for half a year before anyone said anything...

Because some white guy decided to send a message to... some other redneck NASCAR type?  I'm white.  Born and raised in the same town that Bubba Wallace was born in.  I've never attended or even cared to watch a single NASCAR event in my life.  I was more of a Formula One guy.  First driver that I considered a hero was Mario Andretti.  30 days in May, ya know?  

It will probably surprise you to learn that the average white person in the south today doesn't factor another person's race when interacting with them.  In fact, in many families, both races are represented equally.  We've gone from desegregation during the 50s to integration in the 60s to acceptance and increasingly, family ties that bind.  Are there still racists among us?  Absolutely.  If you look around your little piece of paradise you can find them there as well.  The question is whether you'll have the integrity to admit it.

Prejudices abound in this world and they don't ALL center on race relations, nor do they have geographic boundaries.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Ropes are tied like that for a lot of other reasons and uses you know. It doesn't necessarily mean it was ever supposed to represent a noose.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, and then said:

First driver that I considered a hero was Mario Andretti.  30 days in May, ya know?  

That's cool! I live in the same town as Mario. It's his hometown. His kids were born and raised here. Marco bought his dad Michael's house a few years ago and lives here too. I'm only about two miles or so away from them. 

NASCAR's next race is about 20 miles from me at Pocono Raceway, June 26-28.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, susieice said:

That's cool! I live in the same town as Mario. It's his hometown. His kids were born and raised here. Marco bought his dad Michael's house a few years ago and lives here too. I'm only about two miles or so away from them. 

NASCAR's next race is about 20 miles from me at Pocono Raceway, June 26-28.

His win was my first Indy race.  I was a kid and fell in love with the sport!  NASCAR, meh... :w00t:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, and then said:

His win was my first Indy race.  I was a kid and fell in love with the sport!  NASCAR, meh... :w00t:

I was a kid too when he won the Indy but was living in a neighboring town. We had a radio station downtown that would broadcast from a glass enclosed room in front of the studio that they called the window on the world. They did an interview with Mario there and half of town, including my mom and me, went to see him and wave to him. :lol:

• Thanks 1

Another case of people crying racism when none was there.  That was also not the only garage that had the pull rope tied in a loop.  

I now will fear for my life the next time I go camping.   The tent ropes that attach to the stakes are tied in a "noose".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I often see Garage Door pull ropes tied in a way that resembles a noose. If I was the person who reported it I would be embarrassed.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I often see Garage Door pull ropes tied in a way that resembles a noose. If I was the person who reported it I would be embarrassed.

yeah i can understand that. the loops around the make a better handle.  i am just wondering why this crew member couldn't tell it wasn't a noose, and again NASCAR officials didn't realize it was being used as a handle.  Perhaps someone had purposely tampered with it, pulling the lower rope expose the noose from this kind of knot. if it was a traditional hangman's noose knot, there should have been a handle or perhaps a piece of wood in the lower loop, which would make it obviously a handle. if someone removed that handle, and loosened the loop it would then be a noose. It would also be true it had been there for over a year, and the FBI could say, he wasn't targeted.  I would like  to see a photo of that noose.  

well I don't think  we are going to see it. Funny, if it was a true noose, then  who ever made it would have done it the first time Bubba Wallace  set foot in Nascar, not wait till now. Agree with the FBI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I think it's a perfect example of us being manipulated to see a reality that isn't real at all or is at best a shadow of reality.  We are all lab rats, advertising agencies proved that a LONG time ago.  If we don't grow up soon and remember the progress we've made as a culture, it is going to be taken from us in a flash of hate and misery.  The worst part of it is that those who are doing it to us, KNOW what they are doing and don't care who gets hurt.  I believe their goal is to bring this nation down and after the chaos and burning is over, they plan to rebuild it in their image.  

I'm a rigging carpenter and deal with ropes and knots day in and day out.

One does not pull a noose for standard rope pulls.  It's industry standard in my business (hollywood).

Tying a noose is grounds for immediate termination and has been since I entered the field 25 years ago.

If it wasn't a noose, then it was a mis-identifed pull knot.

But there is no confusing a real noose with another 'pull handle rope knot' among people who know knots.

Nooses are nooses.

Edited by quiXilver

12 hours ago, susieice said:

Ropes are tied like that for a lot of other reasons and uses you know. It doesn't necessarily mean it was ever supposed to represent a noose.

Pull handles yes.

Nooses, no.

The way the media handled this "disgusting show of hatred",was one of the most hysterically stupid displays i've ever seen...

The amount of energy they put into this "hate crime" and the flippant miniscule amount they put into saying "oh never mind" is the reason many find the media an absolute joke anymore.

I don't give a damn about Nascar and never have,a bunch of hicks watching other hicks race around in circles for hours on end just never appealed to me.

Nascar has been bleeding fans,money,and sponsors for the last 2 decades and they can't stop it!

Danica Patrick was their first attempt to grow their fanbase and i'm sure it got them a few hundred extra female fans (even though she never won ANYTHING) and now Bubba is their ploy for a few black fans.

It's not gonna matter,the worlds been awake for awhile...Nascar sucks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I don't give a damn about Nascar

The wrecks. That's about all that interest me. Now a demo derby, I like those.:tu:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

a bunch of hicks watching other hicks race around in circles for hours on end just never appealed to me.

All I know about NASCAR  is that it began with moonshine runners and the fans tend to have a real affection for the Confederate Battle flag.  I'll be curious to see if there's any push back on banning that flag.  My guess is that banning that emblem is going to do the same damage to NASCAR that kneeling caused the NFL.  Not that I care in either case.   

• Like 1