Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual Void

XenoFish

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

You  are biased and prejudiced against the religious and can only perceive them through the dark lens of your own unfortunate life experience

are you religious? do you believe in god/s?

33 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'm not upset, not distressed, not angry, I'm just commenting. Any distress is on the other end. What does it actually matter to you? Considering anyone can have any type of belief why are you and the antireligious always stressing out about it on here? Someone comments on your comments, so what's the freakin' problem? 

I'm anti-religious when it comes to validating abusive behavior and clinging to outdated customs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

What names? I didn't call you Aunty Em. Is it only you that is permitted to be derogatory in this conversion as you were to me in your previous posts? I prefer being caustic, wry and witty, myself. I don't find you offensive, you're rather disarming when you see me in a better light. You make me smile when I get you're back, not laughing at you, just finding it endearing.

Describing someone "you are like a broken bottle..."  is not you reacting emotionally?  Really, you get nasty and then someone calls you on it and you claim you are being wry and witty.  There is nothing wry or witty about your posts.  You protest too much, like someone putting LOL at the end of an insult claiming it is a joke, very immature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm anti-religious when it comes to validating abusive behavior and clinging to outdated customs. 

are you religious generally?

40 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

are you religious? do you believe in god/s?

Why?

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Who gets to decide they're outdated?

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Why?

why what? I'm asking you a question! It's a simple question:

are you religious? Do you believe in god/s?

It's either yes or no, or is the question confusing for you? 

21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Describing someone "you are like a broken bottle..."  is not you reacting emotionally?  Really, you get nasty and then someone calls you on it and you claim you are being wry and witty.  There is nothing wry or witty about your posts.  You protest too much, like someone putting LOL at the end of an insult claiming it is a joke, very immature.

That's my honest cumulative perception of you, the gestlalt of all your posts on UM--someone whose heart is all sharp-edged angles, to be handled gingerly, lest one cut oneself. Rather disingenuous, you complain on the one hand and do the same to others from the other--all in the same post. You seem uncomfortable being stood up to and talked back to--welcome to UM.

18 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Who gets to decide they're outdated?

The individual that is examining an individual custom or idea.

You say it, (insert custom/idea) is not outdated.

I say it is.

Who is right?

Technically neither. It's totally subjective.

It's similar to asking if a movie is good or not. Some people think it's the greatest one ever made and some people walked out of the theater and demanded their money back. 

Another example

I completely understand why people "celebrate" holidays.

I don't. I don't really care what individual days mean to other people.

I don't just show my love and appreciation to my parents on Mother's Day and Father's Day. It's whenever I can and am able to for the rest of my life.

I don't believe people (in general) love or care about their parents any less or more than me based on which day(s) they show or think it.

I find no reason to set aside certain days for certain customs. Birthdays? Death Days? Don't care. Anniversaries? Don't care. St. Patrick's Day? Don't care.

I know plenty or people vehemently disagree with me and have their own justifications for having a certain custom.

I just agree to disagree.

Everybody has to be somebody. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I know plenty or people vehemently disagree with me and have their own justifications for having a certain custom.

well then they're idiots!!!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

no need for the insults.. Yeah OK I'm old & forget stuff.. So please enlighten me my friend because I've forgotten- sorry.

So can you do me the honour of answering the question please.. Nothing to do with being stupid because you & I know that's bollox- don't we, hammer me ol' mate

I believe in a directed universe - everything regarding it is subject to debate. I don't KNOW any great secrets or hidden knowledge. My beliefs are personal, original and I don't share them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I believe in a directed universe - everything regarding it is subject to debate. I don't KNOW any great secrets or hidden knowledge. My beliefs are personal, original and I don't share them.  

you didn't answer the question-

well technically you did because you typed something but you didn't answer the question:

Do you believe in god? Yes or no?

I'll ask the same question of me:

no i do not..

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

you didn't answer the question

That is my answer--and The only one you're going to get--there is no other 

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

That is my answer--and The only one you're going to get--there is no other 

do you believe in god???????????????? YES OR NO??

12 hours ago, lightly said:

I basically agree with all you said in that post..#450.   Except, in my life anyway, I see eating as more of a means of life ..than a purpose?  

and I'm not so sure life actually has any need for death at all....because ,as you say, life eats life.  A horse can't live by eating dead grass. ?

... Some forms of life live on sunlight.   No need of death for them to live.  ?      

and I'm not sure if a flower kills the nutrients it gets from the earth?   Are 'nutrients' alive??  (I dunno about that one.)  but I know the water and sunlight don't die when they contribute to the life of a flower.

Some plants may live with sunlight AND water.  These plants are the substructure of all life...the very beginning of the chain.

Horses can eat dead grass or live grass...but without the nutrients in the soil from dead life...there would be no grasses and consequently no horses.

Flowers are the fruit of plants.  They live off of dead animals who have provided nutrients to the soil.  The weeds and other plants are in competition with each other for nutrients and water.  Have you never seen a beautiful garden completely killed off by weeds?  

Nutrients are not alive.  Anymore than the air is alive. I never said all living things kill other living things to survive.  I said Life eats Life.   If no plants or animals died there would not be any nutrients.   Everything that lives dies.  Everything that lives eats...and what does it eat...the death of life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

See that is the thing right there...Nobody KNOWS any great secrets and there is no hidden knowledge..only knowledge we haven't discovered yet.

I'm not sure what a 'directed universe' is.  One might infer that you therefore do belief in a Director.  But you didn't say that.  I think the universe is directed as well...it is directed by a set of circumstances that no one has discovered and most likely never will.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, joc said:

See that is the thing right there...Nobody KNOWS any great secrets and there is no hidden knowledge..only knowledge we haven't discovered yet.

Any knowledge we don't know yet is hidden--and who's to say there isn't a universe of great secrets therein? You're just parsing words.

49 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm not sure what a 'directed universe' is.  One might infer that you therefore do belief in a Director.  But you didn't say that.  I think the universe is directed as well...it is directed by a set of circumstances that no one has discovered and most likely never will.

A directed universe didn't just happen--it was deliberately set in motion by the greatest of unknowns. For me, there's no walking around looking at existence and crying out like a delighted child: Oh, Happy Chance!!!!

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I have a good memory. You always have a pre prepared argument ready to post, contingent on the answer you expect to get. How's that working out for you?

answer the question 

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

answer the question 

Don't be a drongo, mate. You'll have to base you're bleedin' response on the answer given, so, started typing on your lappy. No wukkas, though, you're a fair dinkum composer, you'll make out.

Edited by Hammerclaw

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Don't be a drongo, mate. You'll have to base you're bleedin' response on the answer given, so, started typing on your lappy. No wukkas, though, you're a fair dinkum composer, you'll make out.

why will you not answer the question? =====do you believe in god? i'm not Australian BTW ...

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

why will you not answer the question? =====do you believe in god? i'm not Australian BTW ...

Which god?

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Which god?

do you believe in gods!? *snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

5 hours ago, Dejarma said:

do you believe in gods!?

I believe in a directed universe, a belief not founded on the Judeo-Christian Mythos. I haven't a clue what directed it and thus, can't nail down a belief for you. Were you raised by Christians?

47 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Any knowledge we don't know yet is hidden--and who's to say there isn't a universe of great secrets therein? You're just parsing words.

A directed universe didn't just happen--it was deliberately set in motion by the greatest of unknowns. For me, there's no walking around looking at existence and crying out like a delighted child: Oh, Happy Chance!!!!

Ah, the Master of Word Parsing accusing me of parsing words...I'm honored...really!  I said it damn it...were you not listening?

So then, Mr Parser...You do believe in God.  But you can't say it...interesting really...okay ...nothing you say is really that interesting...nonetheless....there is nothing ...absolutely nothing...original about believing that the universe was set into motion deliberately.  Deliberately is the defining word of your statement. Deliberately does not imply that there is a god...it demands that there is a god.  Deliberate means 'on purpose'.  With forethought...and of course how could there be forethought if there was no thought involved.

No, there is only walking around looking at existence and crying out like a lost sheep...baa, baa, baa...I don't haaaaaave to say I believe in god becaaaaause it isn't requiiiiired...baaaaaa.

You are nobody's fool ...only your own, all alone on the hill, just you and your massive  ego.   Guess what Mr. Parser...you can't take your ego with you when you go either.  Pfffffft...gone with the wind...and no one will know...and no one will care...   and no one will caaaaaaaare..

No Happy Chance Mistro!   More like, a repetition of creation, destruction, creation, destruction, until finally...even that motor dies and then...                 emptiness

1 hour ago, joc said:

Ah, the Master of Word Parsing accusing me of parsing words...I'm honored...really!  I said it damn it...were you not listening?

So then, Mr Parser...You do believe in God.  But you can't say it...interesting really...okay ...nothing you say is really that interesting...nonetheless....there is nothing ...absolutely nothing...original about believing that the universe was set into motion deliberately.  Deliberately is the defining word of your statement. Deliberately does not imply that there is a god...it demands that there is a god.  Deliberate means 'on purpose'.  With forethought...and of course how could there be forethought if there was no thought involved.

No, there is only walking around looking at existence and crying out like a lost sheep...baa, baa, baa...I don't haaaaaave to say I believe in god becaaaaause it isn't requiiiiired...baaaaaa.

You are nobody's fool ...only your own, all alone on the hill, just you and your massive  ego.   Guess what Mr. Parser...you can't take your ego with you when you go either.  Pfffffft...gone with the wind...and no one will know...and no one will care...   and no one will caaaaaaaare..

No Happy Chance Mistro!   More like, a repetition of creation, destruction, creation, destruction, until finally...even that motor dies and then...                 emptiness

You're just another kind of believer, because you can't prove any of that drivel, either. All you're doing is trying to whistle the loudest in the dark. Have a nice life, BELIEVER.:lol:

Edited by Hammerclaw