Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual Void

XenoFish

27 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yep... your problem is a lack of empathy... you live in Wales= a lovely place. Now go type the word: 'poverty' in Google & click on "images'

compare yourself & what you have to what you see- enjoy

Idk if you understand depression and alcoholism very well 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

do you feel that's what your doctor will do?

yeah good question... i can only wonder why you feel the need to spill your heart out in a place like this? what you say is one thing= where you say it is another.. you should be saying all this to your doctor as suggested more than once.

so now now what? are you going to carry on having a go at me or are you going to be logical & start to have a go at yourself??? hmmm, interesting, init;)

Thing is, I'm aware of what I should be doing but again I do actually find it hard. If I sound pathetic and stupid (I know you didn't say that) then maybe I am. Sometimes talking to strangers does help. In this case Xeno offered advice.

It may come across as me having a go but I'm not. I'm being defensive. To me it feels like you're being hostile towards me, I may have misread or misinterpreted what you said but its what it feels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

To me it feels like you're being hostile towards me

your feelings are correct.. i am being hostile towards you!! because sometimes a kick up the bum works

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

your feelings are correct.. i am being hostile towards you!! because sometimes a kick up the bum works

In that case, that suggests to me you're trying to help. So I appreciate it. Honestly.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

In that case, that suggests to me you're trying to help. So I appreciate it. Honestly.

yes. I had extreme anxiety (etc) problems!  Worse than any physical pain!

I got myself out of it within 3/ 4 hours by looking at shapes in the wallpaper & making nice things in my mind from them.

What I would suggest is:

as suggested earlier= type poverty into Google, or even better youtube & watch the crap other people have to suffer.

Watch it constantly for hours on end picturing yourself in there & suffering. Go deep- Do this for days on end if necessary until the Serotonin kicks in. You'll feel it... kinda like having a really bad toothache & then for some reason it's just gone= oh joy

Serotonin is the brain's natural happy drug & it is possible to force it to start pumping again.

The lack of Serotonin is why people get depressed... & cocaine etc boosts it, but drains it hence the comedown.. this is just my opinion after 62 years on this planet;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 2

What's the title of this thread again?

Fill the void with something spiritual. You can't google them to look up what they are. But there is a way to confront them.

It's known as Self-Forgetfulness 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Will do said:

Fill the void with something spiritual.

in the real world this wont help.. unfortunately many believe it will= hence the problem in the first place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Funnily enough, I'm aware my life is much better than most people in the world, I agree. As I said, we all have our own problems.

Well I hope you're aware that your a polite interesting and friendly individual. You're reflection on what you said to customer shows that you have morals and ethics. You'd be surprised how few people actually have that. I don't know you very well but what I do know is good. 

Now you go and have a good day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Will do said:

Fill the void with something spiritual. You can't google them to look up what they are. But there is a way to confront them.

Or chocolate.

In fact just chocolate. That fills most voids best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

There are two or more claims, all scientifically proven.

I didn't change the goal posts. maybe you  got confused and kicked to the wrong end :)  

Just going to church(any religion with a positive spin)  once a week, can add up to 10 years of life (and a t least 2-4) It also adds quality of physical and emotional life in old age. 

Second, not going to church, but having a positive spiritual faith can have very similar effects

Such effects include less of many diseases, faster recovery times and remissions for illnesses diseases and even physical wounds and trauma

It protects against a whole range of issues and problems from  heart disease to depression 

Third if your beliefs or attendance alter your lifestyle, the effect is maximised and that where the greatest benefits can come.

It can mean less STDs lower alcohol consumption less use of cigarettes and drugs, more exercise, a healthier diet.

Combined, these have a very  significant effect on life and mortality/life expectancy   

If you  truly  fact checked them you could not help but find that the y held up, unless you were blinded by bias.  So far, in over a decade, you have shown not a single factual source to disprove the claims

Question: Can you outline the 3 most important ways to assess a scientific study? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dejarma said:

no one gets the purpose or the content of your posts.. the fact that after 33+ thousand posts you still haven't worked it out kinda sums you up= bless your cotton socksB) still, you enjoy posting it seems so have fun my friend= who's to say you can't;)

lol That's their problem more than mine.

Plenty of people both get them and appreciate them :)  Some people don't like hearing them, to the point where it annoys them. 

Yep i enjoy posting, and i enjoy almost all of the conversations and debates on UM  

3 hours ago, Will do said:

?

4 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Thing is, I'm aware of what I should be doing but again I do actually find it hard. If I sound pathetic and stupid (I know you didn't say that) then maybe I am. Sometimes talking to strangers does help. In this case Xeno offered advice.

It may come across as me having a go but I'm not. I'm being defensive. To me it feels like you're being hostile towards me, I may have misread or misinterpreted what you said but its what it feels.

There is nothing wrong with having feelings and talking about them. Kudos.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

When have you ever taken anyone else's mere 'word for it' in disagreements here?  That would be never.

Correction, I make assumptions about you based on evidence.  You make assumptions about people here all the time, almost always ultimately insulting.  How many times have you whipped out the excuse, 'you don't believe me because my ideas challenge your worldview which you are so attached to that you find it uncomfortable', has anyone who has interacted with you been spared that offensive assumption about their emotional constitution?  Every time you try to defend your lack of English composition skills in your posts by noting that you have to simplify your arguments because they are just so darned complex, you are partly claiming that people here aren't smart enough to understand them.  Which is indeed funny.

That's not true, a ton of what you write about yourself is not relevant to the post.  And you have no explanation why you are the only one who does it to the degree you do.  People talking about themselves here so you can 'respect' them and know where they are coming from is fine, but that's not what I was referring to.  We have an unexplained evidence point:  no one here (/everyone here combined) does not post self-congratulatory comments about themselves to the volume you do, not by a long shot.  Thus your psychology is the outlier.  Why would someone make these kind of comments to this ridiculous degree?  One possible explanation is that they are inflating their own ego because that's what's necessary to prevent discomfort, that would explain this evidence if it were true; we wouldn't be surprised if someone who had this ego-inflating need made comments just like yours and to the degree you do, that is consistent I'm sure with what your decades of psychological training have shown you.  There are of course other psychological explanations, but none of them are that positive either.  So what's the better explanation for the evidence?  Forget about what you think is ultimately true or not; what is wrong with this evidence-based argument, outside of it not being absolutely conclusive (which again has never prevented you from coming to these kind of assumptions about others here)?

Okay, that's fine.  At what point do you then get to, 'and thus I must constantly let everyone know how trained and skilled and smart I am on a daily basis'.  Doing that is actually not evidence of strong self-esteem, it implies the opposite.

I'm not trying to harass you, you make claims about the nature of the arguments and conversations here that aren't accurate so I'm just correcting them, you are of course always a seeker of truth.

I take a great deal of what people say here "on faith" I  generally believe what people say about their offline lives (or a t least i dont disbelieve them)

Facts i tend to check 

Most posts here i dont reply to because i have no argument with them.

You don't have any"EVIDENCES"  about me You only have the perceptions your mind constructs from  what i post . Those perceptions are based on your own experiences, beliefs, values etc. 

Indeed some dont believe because my ideas challenge their world view.

Some don't believe because they have no experiences in their lives which would justify belief.

Some are natural skeptics.

Explain, though, how sherapy can claim the sources i provided were not scientific  when all she had to do was check the qualifications of the authors and the institutions involved 

Well a number of people say the y find my posts too;long and complex. Many years ago  i was asked to use shorter sentences and paragraphs  so I have done so

Others clearly dont comprehend the arguments and views expressed 

So given all that is the case, indeed many dont understand my pov.

Others lack the background in history politics or or other disciplines to  really follow an argument 

How many people here completed a 4 year university             education including how to write deconstruct analyse etc . How many people have spent 40 years teaching those things to university entrance standard?  

Some for sure, and i have less trouble with them following my posts.  The y might disagree with my points but at least they get them.

I am sorry you dont get the relevance but its critical

In an argument about values beliefs etc rather than facts  its critical that both sides understand the background of the other and how the y formed those beliefs values etc 

An uneducated opinion, or one based without practical experience is not valueless but is not as valuable as one from  an educated and experienced person in tha t area Thus if a neurosurgeon posted about brain damage effects on cognition I would take more notice than if a bricklayer did  But likewise I would listen to a bricklayers advice on repairing my house more  than i would a brain surgeons 

My experiences are the outlier 

Ths my explanations and narratives around those experiences  are the outlier 

"Extraordinary experiences"  require extraordinary "supporting narratives" :) 

You can construct what hypotheses you like But so far they have been totally wrong 

I dont have any discomfort in my life 

My whole life i have been loved respected and productive.

I have been happy fulfilled and content

I would like to see others enjoy the same in life. 

Me repeating my qualifications is not a lack of self esteem.

it maybe a response to being constantly challenged  or it might be just to explain How I have come to somuchexperince and knowledge 

Eg i can shear a sheep, with both hand clippers and  mechanical shears 

That is irrelevant on this forum but it would be relevant if i was in a discussion on some forum about  farming 

Also i am highly competitive in matters of the mind although competition in  matters of the body doesnt interest me so much 

Thus i play hard on debates like this, but i play fair and honestly 

i didnt feel harassed  I actually enjoy these discussions.

it is a wet saturday afternoon. My other choice is reading a book or watching a movie   (already walked the dogs, done my domestic chores, done the shopping  spent an hour at the library  and visited the elderly ) :) 

4 hours ago, Dejarma said:

you come across as someone who only cares about what YOU feel.

maybe get some advice on how to 'get through life' from the five year old Indian girl who breaks rocks for a living!!? what do you think?

Hey hey that is a bit too close to "toughen up, ***** cat," for comfort

mental illness from anxiety to more serious forms is a medical condition like any other.

Help should be sought and taken without fear of how people will judge you.  

It is hard to change yourself from  within. 

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

yes. I had extreme anxiety (etc) problems!  Worse than any physical pain!

I got myself out of it within 3/ 4 hours by looking at shapes in the wallpaper & making nice things in my mind from them.

What I would suggest is:

as suggested earlier= type poverty into Google, or even better youtube & watch the crap other people have to suffer.

Watch it constantly for hours on end picturing yourself in there & suffering. Go deep- Do this for days on end if necessary until the Serotonin kicks in. You'll feel it... kinda like having a really bad toothache & then for some reason it's just gone= oh joy

Serotonin is the brain's natural happy drug & it is possible to force it to start pumping again.

The lack of Serotonin is why people get depressed... & cocaine etc boosts it, but drains it hence the comedown.. this is just my opinion after 62 years on this planet;)

(general advice not aimed at you) Or just maybe get some professional help from someone you are comfortable with, OR even (heaven forbid) use an internet forum to express your feelings to total strangers :)  Whatever works. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Question: Can you outline the 3 most important ways to assess a scientific study? 

yep, but why bother? You never listen to a word i say, and only ask these questions in the hope i will say something you disagree with  :) 

Ps there are a lot more than 3, and the answer depends on what form of assessment you are undertaking, and what you are seeking to find

eg one answer might be; reliability, external validity and internal validity .(that is used a lot in psychology )

In science, another model would be. 

Credible Contributory Communicable  and Conforming

Apart from  using internal measurements of validity, a first step would be to check the external elements, such as the authors' qualifications, expertise and experience, the reputation of the institutions  involved, and the source of any funding provided for the study.   It is actually quite difficult to find a universal definition of what describes good  scientific practice 

The lack of widely acknowledged quality standards for research practice is somewhat surprising. A consequence of it is that judges of the quality of research – university boards, scholars, funding agencies, journal editors and journal reviewers – apply the values and standards of their own minds, fields or disciplines. To apply one's own values is part of the evaluation process, but having generally acknowledged quality standards, instead of developing idiosyncratic ones, is likely to make it easier to make fair evaluations. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048733315001845

if you  wish to question the validity of the studies i quoted, or the author's expertise, then  do so, but be brave enough to do it directly,  and clever enough to  find some evidence to support your criticisms   

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

?

Selfishness or unselfishness?

It's the choice that may or may not fill the spiritual void. 

Which one does your heart desire?

Edited by Will do
  • Like 1

I'm unselfishly selfish, except for when I'm selfishly unselfish. I've yet to encounter a spiritual void, but I have encountered people devoid of spirituality. I have known holy men who were not priests, or preachers and have known priests and preachers who were far from being holy men. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unselfishly selfish or selfishly unselfish, without being self-forgetfull you'll still need to contend with that inescapable self that incessantly rings a bell for recognition and honor. 

In other words, in the chance that there may be a spiritual void in life, it might not be that something needs to be put into it, but rather (in a paradoxical way) something needs to be taken out.

Edited by Will do

7 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Hi Dejarma

I agree in my worst moments in life when I looked at the world around me I saw people that were in far worst circumstances than myself and was/is thankful that my life did not tip as far or that I had to face the resolution that they had on their plate. Most people think that I am unaffected by things because I generally do not publicly display empathy, my resolve lives inside not outside of myself but when sheet hits the fan I usually know where the switch is. Thanks for being frank. :tu:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Dejarma

I agree in my worst moments in life when I looked at the world around me I saw people that were in far worst circumstances than myself and was/is thankful that my life did not tip as far or that I had to face the resolution that they had on their plate. Most people think that I am unaffected by things because I generally do not publicly display empathy, my resolve lives inside not outside of myself but when sheet hits the fan I usually know where the switch is. Thanks for being frank. :tu:

jmccr8

My mum and dad used to say, if i complained about my conditions (which were pretty tough compared to modern days)  

"Ok We will swap you for an  ethiopian child for a year."

i knew they didn't mean it, but i got their point very powerfully.

My life was fantastic compared  to many children's all around the world. I never went hungry cold or unloved.

That  sense of good fortune, and  thus a duty to help others, never left me 

5 hours ago, Will do said:

Unselfishly selfish or selfishly unselfish, without being self-forgetfull you'll still need to contend with that inescapable self that incessantly rings a bell for recognition and honor. 

In other words, in the chance that there may be a spiritual void in life, it might not be that something needs to be put into it, but rather (in a paradoxical way) something needs to be taken out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvftz0eEpwxP_0gz9kFWF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Or chocolate.

In fact just chocolate. That fills most voids best. 

Myself, i like chocolate cake with chocolate chunks, with chocolate frosting, and chocolate sauce drizzed on top.

Talk about religious experience....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Myself, i like chocolate cake with chocolate chunks, with chocolate frosting, and chocolate sauce drizzed on top.

Talk about religious experience....

Cake is just bread with a pretty dress on, same for cupcakes. Now pie, pie is godly.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 4