Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberian heat wave alarms scientists

Still Waters

The Arctic is feverish and on fire—at least parts of it are. And that's got scientists worried about what it means for the rest of the world.

The thermometer hit a likely record of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit) in the Russian Arctic town of Verkhoyansk on Saturday, a temperature that would be a fever for a person—but this is Siberia, known for being frozen. The catastrophic oil spill from a collapsed storage tank last month near the Arctic city of Norilsk was partly blamed on melting permafrost. In 2011, part of a residential building in Yakutsk, the biggest city in the Sakha Republic, collapsed due to thawing and subsidence of the ground.

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-arctic-siberian-alarms-scientists.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We have already passed a tipping point.  The perma-frost melts releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing......  

There is a cockamamey plan to bring back mammoths to poop on the ground fertilizing more plant life to insulate the ground and reverse things but, I mean, really?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There is a cockamamey plan to bring back mammoths to poop on the ground fertilizing more plant life to insulate the ground and reverse things but, I mean, really?

They have to start planting forests to act as a carbon sink. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

We have already passed a tipping point.  The perma-frost melts releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing more warmth melting more perma-frost releasing more CO2 causing......  

Then our children and grandchildren will have to find solutions that we haven't had the will to find.  Humanity has always been about waiting until there is no better choice before we act.  I like to remember the story of Thomas Malthus at times like these.  Humans have a way of pulling off technological "miracles" when there is sufficient motivation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, and then said:

Then our children and grandchildren will have to find solutions that we haven't had the will to find.  Humanity has always been about waiting until there is no better choice before we act.  I like to remember the story of Thomas Malthus at times like these.  Humans have a way of pulling off technological "miracles" when there is sufficient motivation.

Most innovations come out of warfare or adversity. Including medical.

Metallurgy and surgery was initially developed by warrior nomads.  

Edited by Piney
Jarocal beats his stones
  • Like 3

Yesterday saw the all time date record broken in the UK (set back in the famous heatwave of 1976) - but we were still colder than the Arctic!   Surprised none of the tabloid media picked up on that one :D

• Like 1

We are dryer and dryer here in eastern Canada, enough that we have lack of water supply and hoping for more rain. At least we got some last week and maybe tonight. We got impressing heat wave that maple tree have a hard time to find water. My basswood not even got is full leafs for the second year and will probably die.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, Piney said:

Migrating the forest north is a way to cope with it a bit, and to protect the soil that will erode with wind while melting and drying. The model for forest migration is still a long shot because they are far from accurate. Scientist are working to find the best phenotype to migrate the white spruce north here in Quebec, in area normally used by black spruce. Hoping that they will not make an error about  the genetic trait they will choose...  

We will see we will be able to cope with all the change without a total warfare for resources.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3

Lemon, lemonade... 

To Beat the Heat, Vietnam Rice Farmers Resort to Planting at Night. ... HANOI (Reuters) - Under a pitch-black night sky, a group of Vietnamese farmers planted rice this week in a paddy field on the outskirts of the capital Hanoi using head lamps to illuminate the water-logged ground in front of them.3 days ago

~

• Like 1

The last few nights here have been freezing, l guess that means we are imaging it?

:rolleyes:

On 6/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, OverSword said:

While it is not a valid solution, I like the idea.   It'd be cool to put populations of mammoths in northern Russia and northern Canada.  

3 hours ago, tmcom said:

The last few nights here have been freezing, l guess that means we are imaging it?

Last week here it was 33c.  Today it's more like 16c    This proves the whole planet is getting very cold very quickly ...... In a few weeks you'll be wishing it was only freezing  :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

While it is not a valid solution, I like the idea.   It'd be cool to put populations of mammoths in northern Russia and northern Canada.  

Maybe, but it would probably mess the eco-system up.  How do herds of mammoth survive on the tundra of the 21st century? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Maybe, but it would probably mess the eco-system up.  How do herds of mammoth survive on the tundra of the 21st century? 

Good question and I don't know the answer.   I think the areas chosen would have to fit the need.   I assume with the warming will come more vegetation.   

7 hours ago, tmcom said:

Are you in Siberia ? If not, how is it relevant to the topic ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

We are dryer and dryer here in eastern Canada, enough that we have lack of water supply and hoping for more rain. At least we got some last week and maybe tonight. We got impressing heat wave that maple tree have a hard time to find water. My basswood not even got is full leafs for the second year and will probably die.

And put west we have had so much rain and thunderstorms.  Usually by now the hills are brown.  The Okanagan is desert in most places, but so far, we are green and cool.  It's been a very odd spring

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Are you in Siberia ? If not, how is it relevant to the topic ?

He has a slightly  insular view of the world.  Only the weather he experiences matters.   The rest of the world obviously has whatever he has or else it doesn't exist :D 

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2020 at 12:53 PM, Piney said:

We cant plant enough trees to solve the problem.  There's not enough land available.

IF we have triggered permafrost melt to the point that it has become self-sustaining, we may have lost the race.  We may not be able to halt warming no matter what we do.  BUT:  I don't think there is sufficient evidence to reach that conclusion yet, so maybe we still have time.  At any rate, climate control is the only game in town; we have no choice but to play it.

Doug

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Br Cornelius

The purpose of putting large herbivores on the tundra is to reduce tree cover. This works to reduce the albedo of the surface and so reflect back more sunlight. Planting more trees in the arctic circle would accelerate arctic warming.

Br Cornelius

Latest: Nearly 300 wildfires in Siberia amid record warm weather

Russia's Aerial Forest Protection Service said it was trying to suppress 136 fires over 43,000 hectares (430 square kilometres) as of Saturday.

Firefighters are using explosives to contain the fires and seeding clouds with silver iodide to encourage rain, it said.

However 159 other fires have been deemed too remote and expensive to handle, with over 333,000 hectares currently ablaze in areas where firefighting efforts have stopped, it said.

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-wildfires-siberia-weather.html

• Thanks 1