Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has lost Roanoke colony mystery been solved?

Still Waters

Has the mystery of the lost Roanoke colony been solved? A local expert appears to have dug up compelling evidence! The disappearance of 115 people in the 16th century is an enduring puzzle of the New World. Did they simply leave, or did something terrible happen to them? Either way, the group were never seen again.

Hatteras Island is thought to be one place the colonists went, after abandoning their new home (which became Dare County NC). The island was formerly named after the Croatoans, a Native American tribe who lived there. Emergency medical technician and part time archaeologist Scott Dawson is one of today’s residents. He figured this is where Roanoke’s pioneers wound up – all he had to do was prove it.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2020/06/23/lost-colony-roanoke/

More here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8440619/Settlers-Lost-Colony-Roanoke-integrated-Croatoan-tribe-Hatteras-Island.html

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think they dismiss the chance of a native attack to easily.   Allot can change in 3 years.

He says - "They showed nothing but love and charity and kindness to take these people in and feed them and assimilate with them and show them love and kindness”

There. Is. No. Mystery. 

Only morons who insist there was but are too lazy to read books. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

There. Is. No. Mystery. 

Only morons who insist there was but are too lazy to read books. 

—Jaylemurph 

I was going to tag you just to be a annoyance,but I see you already discovered the thread.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think they dismiss the chance of a native attack to easily.   Allot can change in 3 years.

Yup, it's why we turned on the Dutch and wiped out their settlement on the Delaware Bay. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I was going to tag you just to be a annoyance,but I see you already discovered the thread.

Yup, it's why we turned on the Dutch and wiped out their settlement on the Delaware Bay. 

I belive the Roanoke settlement was seen as intruders and dealt with as such. correct me If im wrong here the reason why they could not find any remains from the settlement could be many and also human remains can also vanish easily for many reasons. 

Im not happy about it but i know Sweden had settlements there (New Sweden) it was lost to the Dutch in 1655. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I have always heard the myth, but have read a few articles over the years.  my thoughts are they could have never arrived or failed soon after, and white's return to england was part of the coverup white and Raleigh cooked up so Liz I didn't behead them, or the spanish took them, or the usual theory the indigenous took them. whites description on his return is suspect.  what do you think happened? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, micahc said:

I have always heard the myth, but have read a few articles over the years.  my thoughts are they could have never arrived or failed soon after, and white's return to england was part of the coverup white and Raleigh cooked up so Liz I didn't behead them, or the spanish took them, or the usual theory the indigenous took them. whites description on his return is suspect.  what do you think happened? 

Ask @jaylemurph  :devil:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, micahc said:

he will just tell me to read a book..lol

They merged with some Coastal Algonquian. We were a rather friendly bunch as long as you didn't speak a Siouian or Iroquoian language. 

1 hour ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

I belive the Roanoke settlement was seen as intruders and dealt with as such. correct me If im wrong here the reason why they could not find any remains from the settlement could be many and also human remains can also vanish easily for many reasons. 

Im not happy about it but i know Sweden had settlements there (New Sweden) it was lost to the Dutch in 1655. 

The Swedes did us right and like the Quakers, never mistreated us and paid for their land. 

We have a unbroken treaty with the Swedes which my father re-ratified in International waters and the Swedish and Finnish settlers merged with both the Southern Unami and the Salem Quakers. I have Swede/Finn ancestors on both sided and the site of Woola Dalbo's trading post/cabin he built in 1635 is preserved along with the large Indian settlement on my cousin's property. 

The Hendricksons, Petersons (who own the Upper Deerfield general store) Adams (my relatives). Still live in the area. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

2734d8f672f88803c1f80b69d5a7a0fe.jpg

• Like 6

New Sweden is a surprising part of East coast history.  The same goes for the Scottish Crown colonies prior to James I.  I am surprised more is not made of these tidbits of history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Piney

It's really nice of you to share your history it's amazing!. I always thought we Swedes treated indigenous people badly since we traded slaves During the 17th and 18th century. our colonies were established in North America 1638 and Africa 1650 slave trade remained legal until 1813. it's perhaps the darkest chapter in the Swedish history. 

Got to love that pic :-) Im not very royal but i do like our king Carl XVI Gustaf he's not as snobbish as other royalties and he seems genuine.

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, micahc said:

The previous colony (in whose houses the 1587 colonists lived) did their damnedest to steal all the Natives’ food supplies and faked the theft of a silver chalice as an excuse to kill more. 

The last recorded act of the “Lost” colony was to shoot — in cold blood — a group of Natives bringing then food. The group was led by the mother of Manteo, who had befriended and assisted them. 

Twenty years or so later, when Jamestown was started and the English were acting like spoiled children, Powhatan, the local king held up some rusty metalwork and said (in essence), “We know how to treat you lot.”

This is all a part of the acknowledged historical record. So far as I know, until the 1930s, no credible historian was under the impression anything very mysterious happened. The English got exactly what they had coming to them. 

Then some bright spark on the Dare County Convention and Visitors Bureau read a child’s book and The Lost Colony Tourist Rip-Off Procedure was born, leading to a cottage industry of people too lazy to research anything spewing out bad books. 

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 5:21 AM, jaylemurph said:

Then some bright spark on the Dare County Convention and Visitors Bureau read a child’s book and The Lost Colony Tourist Rip-Off Procedure was born, leading to a cottage industry of people too lazy to research anything spewing out bad books. 

—Jaylemurph 

Shhhh... They might have to get off their expanding asses and get real jobs.:tu:

• Like 1