Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Could aliens harness energy from black holes?

Recommended Posts

 
Desertrat56

What does this have to do with aliens?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo

I've got a better idea: Just put a chain drive around it and attach it to a big electric motor. Or, if it's Chrysler or GM, a belt drive, so it will wear out faster.

Call to Chevy Service:

GE: Yeah, seems Sagittarius A threw a belt. Our sensors tell us the belt broke. Can you send a guy out there to replace it?

Service: I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to bring the black hole in for servicing. We don't don't do any repairs outside the garage. Also, it seems as of two months ago, your warranty ran out. So. even if you get here, parts alone will be around $4 billion.

GE: What?

Service: Well sir, it's a fairly large belt. Shall I make an appointment? Our suggestion would be to install a new system, complete with belt, motor and installation. In that case, we could travel and you'd get a valued customer discount.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison
10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What does this have to do with aliens?

The implication seems to be that while we can't extract useful energy from a black hole at this time, it might be possible for a more technically advanced civilization on another world to do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troublehalf
17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What does this have to do with aliens?

Sir Rodger Penrose, 50 years ago, said that a suitably technologically advanced civilisation (aka 'aliens') might have the technology capable of using black holes for energy production. The importance of this research proves that it isn't just science fiction nor was it a flawed theory. It has confirmed that it is possible to do so, though humanity does not have the ability to do it. This means that an advanced space faring civilisation could potentially be using black holes as a means of energy production. Thus providing a level of energy production such a civilisation would need. In other words, confirming this is possible means it is possible that an alien civilisation is doing it and if they're doing it, it is a way of providing large amounts of power to a civilisation that needs it.

So, it isn't confirming aliens exist. It just confirms that it is possible to do so and thus checks off a requirement that many scientists and sci-fi writers claim an advanced civilisation needs to be what it is. Or at least, provides another arrow in the quiver of theoretical alien civilisations. If it wasn't possible, you'd have to ask 'where do they get their power from?' and get told various forms of advanced power generation, Dyson Spheres; you know, all that cool stuff that has been claimed to be possible but has not been proven. This is a proven source of major power production; ignoring sci-fi mcguffin fuel sources and other whacky stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
22 minutes ago, bison said:

The implication seems to be that while we can't extract useful energy from a black hole at this time, it might be possible for a more technically advanced civilization on another world to do this. 

Which would be us, not aliens.  I think the word alien in the title was just bait.  The article said nothing about aliens nor your implications of civilizations on other worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Troublehalf said:

Sir Rodger Penrose, 50 years ago, said that a suitably technologically advanced civilisation (aka 'aliens') might have the technology capable of using black holes for energy production. The importance of this research proves that it isn't just science fiction nor was it a flawed theory. It has confirmed that it is possible to do so, though humanity does not have the ability to do it. This means that an advanced space faring civilisation could potentially be using black holes as a means of energy production. Thus providing a level of energy production such a civilisation would need. In other words, confirming this is possible means it is possible that an alien civilisation is doing it and if they're doing it, it is a way of providing large amounts of power to a civilisation that needs it.

So, it isn't confirming aliens exist. It just confirms that it is possible to do so and thus checks off a requirement that many scientists and sci-fi writers claim an advanced civilisation needs to be what it is. Or at least, provides another arrow in the quiver of theoretical alien civilisations. If it wasn't possible, you'd have to ask 'where do they get their power from?' and get told various forms of advanced power generation, Dyson Spheres; you know, all that cool stuff that has been claimed to be possible but has not been proven. This is a proven source of major power production; ignoring sci-fi mcguffin fuel sources and other whacky stuff.

No, "aka aliens" is your interpretation.  Did Sir Penrose ever mention his belief that there were other civilizations on other planets?  I think he was looking towards the future of our civilization.  50 years ago great things were predicted for our technological advances and just look at the advances we have made in 50 years.  There is only your imagination confirming anything about alien civilizations.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troublehalf
7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, "aka aliens" is your interpretation.

Er, what? Sir Rodger Penrose said "only a very advanced, perhaps alien, civilisation would be equal to the task.". He said this after explaining the engineering challenges of proving it at the time. I didn't say anything about confirmation about aliens; only that the theory has been proven correct and it is theoretically possible for a civilisation to gather power from black holes. I explained what this has to do with aliens since you asked. I even said in the post "So, it isn't confirming aliens exist" so, not quite sure where "There is only your imagination confirming anything about alien civilizations" came from. Cest la vie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose

That's a lot of leaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreadLordAvatar

Title is bait click...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs
Posted (edited)

Why on earth (or across the whole galaxy), would you choose a black hole rather than a star?  Yes, more energy may be available, but your average star doesn't have enuff?  And as time goes by and we get more efficient and 'green', we shouldn't have large energy needs.

I mean, what the hell - I just installed LED lights in my house and car, just to avoid this very issue.  I don't want to have to get to some black hole, only to have it burp on the nearest supergiant star and wipe me from existence with the outburst....  

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Why on earth (or across the whole galaxy), would you choose a black hole rather than a star?  Yes, more energy may be available, but your average star doesn't have enuff?  And as time goes by and we get more efficient and 'green', we shouldn't have large energy needs.

I mean, what the hell - I just installed LED lights in my house and car, just to avoid this very issue.  I don't want to have to get to some black hole, only to have it burp on the nearest supergiant star and wipe me from existence with the outburst....  

A black hole is cooler!

^_^

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tmcom

Aliens wouldn't mess about with black holes anyway, a transparent, hollow cube, that can extract zero point energy to power a city, probably?

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saru
20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What does this have to do with aliens?

10 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Title is bait click...

This is prime nitpicking - the question is "could aliens harness energy from black holes?" and the article attempts to answer that question.

Several other organizations and sites covering this research have used the ET angle when presenting it.

The University of Glasgow, for example, writes:

Quote

A 50-year-old theory that began as speculation about how an alien civilisation could use a black hole to generate energy has been experimentally verified for the first time in a Glasgow research lab.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_727690_en.html

The point here is to discuss the research/experiment the article covers, not to complain about the wording of the title.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)

@Saru, this it not the only article that the title to the thread is misleading to the actual subject in the article.   I apologise for being nit-picky, just sometimes my OCD kicks in.  Though I don't retract what I said.

The idea of getting energy from a black hole is a cool idea, and it is interesting that scientists are looking at it, it may lead to better ways of energy production, but I agree with who ever said why not get it from the sun, it would be safer.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

I think a better use for a black hole would be as a gravity slingshot. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCC1701

If they are so advanced, why not use nuclear fusion, that would be a lot easier to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma

i'm quite happy with the energy we've got now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
17 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Why on earth (or across the whole galaxy), would you choose a black hole rather than a star?  Yes, more energy may be available, but your average star doesn't have enuff?  And as time goes by and we get more efficient and 'green', we shouldn't have large energy needs.

Seriously. A non-active yellow dwarf would certainly cover you for a few million years with a lot less hazards.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.