Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Call to cull bear after father & son attacked

Still Waters

A regional leader in northern Italy has ordered the culling of a bear that attacked a father and son out hiking earlier this week.

The 28-year-old son was walking on a path on Mount Peller north of Trento when he encountered the bear and fell over. His father threw himself at the animal and broke his leg.

The incident has highlighted the growing bear population in the area.

Wildlife groups have called on authorities not to kill the bear.

They say educating the local population would be more appropriate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53176222

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/337227-boy-praised-for-calmness-when-stalked-by-bear/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A regional leader in northern Italy has ordered the culling of a bear that attacked a father and son out hiking earlier this week.

The 28-year-old son was walking on a path on Mount Peller north of Trento when he encountered the bear and fell over. His father threw himself at the animal and broke his leg.

The incident has highlighted the growing bear population in the area.

Wildlife groups have called on authorities not to kill the bear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53176222

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/337227-boy-praised-for-calmness-when-stalked-by-bear/

If it has drawn human blood it needs putting down.

Its hard to tell from the story as it doesnt indicate any bear inflicted injuries.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Its hard to tell from the story as it doesnt indicate any bear inflicted injuries.

The rest of the story is in the BBC link I posted.

The father, named locally as Fabio Misseroni, told L'Adige newspaper that the bear had leapt out of the woods "like lightning".

"He lunged at my son... at that point I went after him to defend Christian. He bit my leg, then my arm, then my other hand. Then he left, miraculously. He could have killed us both."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You don't know much about bears, do you?

37 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

That's the best course of action.

Rural New Jersey is loaded with bears and because of the Rutgers Ext  education program there isn't much of a problem. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The rest of the story is in the BBC link I posted.

In that case its a bullet to the brain.

Its best not to mess with a wild animal once its tasted human blood.

5 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I will repeat myself...You know nothing about predators.

Humans smell and taste terrible and they only go after a human after being mistreated by one and even that is rare. .

• Like 4

We have a lot of bears here too. Tranquilize and relocate it so it isn't so close to humans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, susieice said:

We have a lot of bears here too. Tranquilize and relocate it so it isn't so close to humans.

They have to do that in Deptford a couple of times when they came down the buffer on the turnpike and start poking around the mall. 

• Like 1

Once in a while they get into the cities and have to be moved. They will usually wait a bit now to see if they go back into woods on their own. Most do. People stay inside if it's in their yard and give it space.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, susieice said:

Once in a while they get into the cities and have to be moved. They will usually wait a bit now to see if they go back into woods on their own. Most do. People stay inside if it's in their yard and give it space.

Channel 6 sometimes shows some of them pool hopping and raiding BBQ grills in your neck of the woods. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Channel 6 sometimes shows some of them pool hopping and raiding BBQ grills in your neck of the woods. :lol:

Oh yeah. They go swimming in pools in Bethlehem. 

We had one guy up here by me that lives near the Appalachian Trail. He knew for a couple of years that there was a bear who lived in a den not very far from his house. This year, "she" came out with 3 cubs. They were in his yard and even though he begged her not to steal his bird feeder, she did it anyway. This video is really funny.

https://6abc.com/stay-at-home-funny-video-animal-bears/6233728/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Rural New Jersey is loaded with bears and because of the Rutgers Ext  education program there isn't much of a problem. 

I was under a similar impression concerning a wild animal that loses its fear of humans, especially if the animal has become comfortable foraging around apartments, hotels, restaurants and such.  Every so often there's a black bear attack in the Smokey Mountains National Park and they always put the poor bear down.  So, you're saying that in a situation like this one where a bear actually attacks, it can be left in the environment safely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

In that case its a bullet to the brain.

Your ignorance is showing.

Grew up around bears, hiked and camped all throughout bear country.  Over a hundred encounters with untagged bears... you know.. the real ones not used to human dwellings and contact.

Educate yourself.  Grow up.  Become a mature man.

• Thanks 2

Just now, and then said:

I was under a similar impression concerning a wild animal that loses its fear of humans, especially if the animal has become comfortable foraging around apartments, hotels, restaurants and such.  Every so often there's a black bear attack in the Smokey Mountains National Park and they always put the poor bear down.  So, you're saying that in a situation like this one where a bear actually attacks, it can be left in the environment safely?

Yes,  relocate it. Plenty of deeper forests. NJ Parks and Forestry does it all the time. 

They might euthanize them in the main part of the Smokeys, but they don't in the Qualla Boundary. 

They don't get "The taste for human blood". That statement is idiotic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Your ignorance is showing.

Grew up around bears, hiked and camped all throughout bear country.  Over a hundred encounters with untagged bears... you know.. the real ones not used to human dwellings and contact.

Educate yourself.  Grow up.  Become a mature man.

Since you were not killed by a bear during an encounter, you have the ability to offer your opinion.  If you had been attacked or killed....well, I guess your opinion would be different.  

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2019/08/26/bear-attacks-increasing-worldwide/

3 minutes ago, and then said:

They can be relocated deeper into the woods further away from humans. A little over a week ago, they were seen in Delaware County, right outside of Philadelphia. They've been seen in Philadelphia also. We see them frequently up here by the mountains. Just stay inside and give them space. They may steal your garbage, then they'll leave. 

https://www.fox29.com/news/two-bear-sightings-reported-in-delaware-county

Bear attacks are very rare here. 

https://archive.triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/what-you-need-to-know-about-bear-spray-and-bear-attacks-in-pennsylvania/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Since you were not killed by a bear during an encounter, you have the ability to offer your opinion.  If you had been attacked or killed....well, I guess your opinion would be different.  

Nope.  You sir, are wrong about my opinion on such matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Guyver said:

1 minute ago, quiXilver said:

Nope.  You sir, are wrong about my opinion on such matters.

The actual paper cited in the Wyoming State Rag show most attacks are because of human carelessness and ignorance.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-44341-w

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I've had hundreds of encounters with black bears while working, hunting, and fishing in the wilds of Vancouver Island. The black bear capitol of the world. In all those encounters I've only been chased once, and that was my fault. If you're going in the woods, carry the proper safety equipment. Bear bangers work exellent, as well as the proper bear spray. Know how bears behave before you have an encounter. A little research before hand may safe your life. My best defence, besides my brain, has always been my dog. He lets me know ahead of time so I can take appropriate action. Not to mention distracting it, if I need to bail. My current fishing partner is a ridgeback lion dog from Rhodesia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same thing with Bison encounters in Yellowstone...  folks regularly are killed and maimed by getting too close to Bison.

Morons want a selfie and invoke the natural territorial response of a being who outweighs a VW Bus... I just don't get how folks can be that clueless...

I recall a day we heard folks scaring a tagged bear out of a neighboring campsite in King's Canyon early one morning.

As my son and I went for our morning hike, we crossed a very unhappy camper who had just finished his yelling tirade at a Park Ranger about 'I'm going to sue you!  Do you how much you owe me for the damage done to my car by this bear...!?'

The Ranger calmly waited, listening to the tantrum, while filling out the camper's Ticket for wildlife endangerment.

She then explained that there would be no law suit and that the camper had earned a $1,000.00 fine and must immediately vacate the park.  That in fact, the camper due to their negligence of leaving food in their vehicle was now responsible for the resulting necessary relocating of the bear to deter further bouts of 'car scouting' by said bear.

"I explained all this to you myself yesterday when I made my rounds and you chose to ignore it.  You left food in your car, when there are bear proof bins that also state your responsiblity in safeguarding your food stuffs.

You alone are responsible for the damage to your vehicle and the damage to the behavior pattern of this bear.  Good Day."

That was a right proper settling the score.  So glad I witnessed it in person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, quiXilver said:

Same thing with Bison encounters in Yellowstone...  folks regularly are killed and maimed by getting too close to Bison.

I watched some clown take a face on with a flash camera and he was rammed and stomped as he justly deserved.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

I watched some clown take a face on with a flash camera and he was rammed and stomped as he justly deserved.  

My favorite has always been the guy that gets chased around the tree 3 or 4 times by 2500 lbs. of angry Bison. The look on his face. Priceless. Not to mention the giant wet spot on his ass, where he p*ssed himself, that stood out like a target. :tsu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In nearly all cases its the people not the animal.   Bison are wild animals not cows and far far more powerful.  Bears should not be messed with, and if you are in the woods you should be aware and not face down in a cell phone.   I will say Bison steak is damn delicious and I hope you get a chance to try it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Piney said:

You don't know much about bears, do you?

That's the best course of action.

I don't know anything about bears, but I likened this to when I go surfing and the risk with shark attacks.  We can't go out and kill sharks every single time a surfer gets nibbled on and loses a limb or god forbid, their life.  You take the risk of an attack every single time you enter the water in my opinion.  There isn't one surfer I've ever met that doesn't think this way.  It's just absurd. 

• Like 3