Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

D.C statehood vote

spartan max2

NO... under no circumstances, IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

No.  What would they gain by it?

• Like 2

Yes. Why should the 700,000 American citizens living in Washington DC have no representation in Congress? 

Just now, bison said:

Yes. Why should the 700,000 American citizens living in Washington DC have no representation in Congress? 

They do get representation, in the House, just not the senate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_voting_rights

Voting rights of citizens in the District of Columbia differ from the rights of citizens in each of the 50 U.S. states. The Constitution grants each state voting representation in both houses of the United States Congress. As the federal capital, the District of Columbia is a special federal district, not a state, and therefore does not have voting representation in Congress. The Constitution grants Congress exclusive jurisdiction over the District in "all cases whatsoever".

In the House of Representatives, the District is represented by a delegate, who is not allowed to vote on the House floor but can vote on procedural matters and in congressional committees. D.C. residents have no representation in the Senate. The Twenty-third Amendment, adopted in 1961, entitles the District to the same number of electoral votes as that of the least populous state in the election of the President and Vice President.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bison said:

They have non voting representatives, just like Puerto Rico and other US territories. They do present their arguments and are heard. They do not have Senators. 

I just saw desertrat beat me to it.

• Like 4

Limiting the rights of some American citizens to be as fully represented in Congress  as are other citizens seems manifestly unfair. Citizens of Washington DC have no Senate representation, and only procedural and committee voting in the House of Representatives. They have no vote there on important matter dealt with on the floor, where the real decisions that affect them are made. 

42 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

2 Senate seats (that would be Democrat most likely).

If they really want to be a state I feel they should just be merged with one of the states neighboring them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

If they really want to be a state I feel they should just be merged with one of the states neighboring them.

I wouldn't wish that on any state, not even Virginia. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

No. The Federal Capitol should never be under the control of any state.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, bison said:

Limiting the rights of some American citizens to be as fully represented in Congress  as are other citizens seems manifestly unfair. Citizens of Washington DC have no Senate representation, and only procedural and committee voting in the House of Representatives. They have no vote there on important matter dealt with on the floor, where the real decisions that affect them are made. 

They have a voice in the House and can address their views before the House and speak to other Representatives. They aren't silent.

• Like 3

I wonder how any one of us, who happens to be an American citizen, living in any of the 50 states,  would feel if they were told that they were to have no Senator representing them, and only a single representative in the House, regardless of population. Further,  that that representative could not participate in floor votes, but would be confined to lesser, committee and procedural votes only. I for one would resent it as an injustice.

1 hour ago, bison said:

I wonder how any one of us, who happens to be an American citizen, living in any of the 50 states,  would feel if they were told that they were to have no Senator representing them, and only a single representative in the House, regardless of population. Further,  that that representative could not participate in floor votes, but would be confined to lesser, committee and procedural votes only. I for one would resent it as an injustice.

Good question to ask Indians and Puerto Ricans I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Good question to ask Indians and Puerto Ricans I guess.

Puerto Rico is different. They get to vote on it. They choose not to be a state. 

Front my understanding native Americans vote in the elections of the state their located in. (I think). I know they can vote for pres. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

They do get representation, in the House, just not the senate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_voting_rights

they have a non voting rep in the house.  perhaps they could have voting members of the house, and give them senators from maryland, or divide it into two sections, and half will be represented in the senate by the maryland senators, and half by the virginia senators. the senate is already unfair.  no way should states with a million people have the same representation as a state with 40 million. i know what the founders were thinking, and they just didn;t think big enough.

• Like 1

DC should never become a state and if it does it will almost certainly start a very dangerous precedent which will almost certainly cause unintended consequences.

Let's just assume DC becomes a state and let's be honest the Democrats only really back this cause they want 2 more Democratic senators and atleast 1 more Democratic representative.  So we now have a city that has become a state what's to stop Republicans in New York state from deciding that New York city doesn't really represent the rest of New York state and it should become it's own state too so now Republicans will get 2 more Senators and a few more Republican representatives.  Ultimately this runs the risk of spiraling massively out of control of cities either becoming states or being forced out of states to gain more seats for either political party.

As for the issue of representation the seemingly beat option in my opinion is to simply not allow anyone to claim to be a DC resident and make them be a resident of one of the 50 other states who is living out of state.  Or to word in a different way essentially treat DC like how a military base outside of American territory is treated politically, the soldiers can vote for representatives from the states they came from and dont need their own special representation just cause they are currently living outside of their state.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

A few more Democrat senate seats?

Devils advocate.

Washington, DC can afford to be a state:
DC residents pay the highest per-capita federal income taxes in the US. In total, DC residents pay more in total federal income tax than residents of 22 other states, but have no say over how those tax dollars are spent..
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

Liberalism is a mental disorder

That's what stupid people say when faced with superior intellects, and couldn't argue their way out of a free lunch. On the other hand, Republicans make up the majority of flat earthers, Q Anon, and creationists. Who has the mental disorder again?

d14d1b703816f1c6354942b1702536d3.jpg

d5e9ba3348ffcee92818f318cec43a53.jpg

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Liberalism is a mental disorder

DB753F2F-CC2A-4C88-B40F-66EDB8C6C705.jpeg.7408e57286d48d955b4fc3a93ccb21a5.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Devils advocate.

Washington, DC can afford to be a state:
DC residents pay the highest per-capita federal income taxes in the US. In total, DC residents pay more in total federal income tax than residents of 22 other states, but have no say over how those tax dollars are spent..

From those who have much, much is asked?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Never, and the reason is very simple, its the only place in America where we can keep the dumbest humans in the entire country in one location. If they ever achieved statehood, it is possible that some of them may escape, and that would be horrendous for the common people of America, dam it would be a crime against humanity!!!!!:D

Peace

• Haha 1

Considering it will take amending the constitution to allow D.C. to not be the federal district that it currently is.... and with how well both sides of Congress get along with each other along with a necessity of three-quarters of state legislatures to agree to the change too.... I just don't see D.C. becoming a state at this time. 

• Like 1