Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

D.C statehood vote

spartan max2

13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Good question to ask Indians and Puerto Ricans I guess.

We have 14 territories like Puerto Rico that do not have representation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territories_of_the_United_States

Territories of the United States are sub-national administrative divisions overseen by the United States government. The various U.S. territories differ from the U.S. states and Native American tribes in that they are not sovereign entities. (Each state has individual sovereignty by which it delegates powers to the federal government; each federally recognized tribe possesses limited tribal sovereignty as a "dependent sovereign nation".)[8][note 2] They are classified by incorporation and whether they have an "organized" government through an organic act passed by Congress.[9] All U.S. territories are part of the United States (because they are under U.S. sovereignty),[10] but the unincorporated territories are not considered to be integral parts of the United States,[11] and the Constitution of the United States applies only partially in those territories.[12][13][9][14]

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, micahc said:

they have a non voting rep in the house.  perhaps they could have voting members of the house, and give them senators from maryland, or divide it into two sections, and half will be represented in the senate by the maryland senators, and half by the virginia senators. the senate is already unfair.  no way should states with a million people have the same representation as a state with 40 million. i know what the founders were thinking, and they just didn;t think big enough.

No, they don't need senators from another state, they either need their own or need to stay as they are.  It is the seat of our federal government and it should not be the responsibility of any other state.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We have 14 territories like Puerto Rico that do not have representation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territories_of_the_United_States

And also, the point of territories like Puerto Rico is moot in the question of D.C.. D.C. isn't a territory, it's a Federal District specifically set up in the Constitution as a Federal District to never become a state. 

There's a few good reasons for this. A state that has the Federal Seat in it's boundaries could take advantage and try leveraging more for their state due to status. Also, as a state, it could effectively hijack the Federal Seat in a few ways and then be able to hold leverage over other states or stall out Federal actions by shutting down the Seat since it's within it's borders. So those miles square of it being a Federal District are to in part ensure that as part of no state, D.C. has an ability to be a Federal Seat for every state. 

Fun D.C. facts- originally D.C. was indeed 10 miles square, the max allowed by the Constitution. Donated by Maryland and Virginia. The section of land west of the Potomac River was returned to Virginia in 1846, resulting in D.C. being around 68 square miles instead of 100 square miles. D.C. can be under 10 miles square, but it can't go over. 

D.C. residents lost the right to vote for president in 1801, and it was the enactment of the 23rd amendment in 1961 that those voting rights were restored- it has three electoral votes :tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A PREFACE: do you realize that at least 70% of people in this country are too stupid to know what is ACTUALLY good for them? now lets begin.

ABOUT LIBERALISM:reagan said it best: They know so much about things that arent so. in short, liberals make up things to be experts at. liberalism is a deception that like morpheus in the matrix, requires you to step out of it to understand...the red pill.

ABOUT WHY DC CANT BECOME A STATE: the founding fathers knew that the capitol should not be in the hands of a party affiliated area, just think of the problems it could create. see those rioters? see those statues they are smashing? yeeeeahh, we all know the left controls the MOB...the RABBLE......you think that things would get better if a political organization controlled the capitol?

even if it was the republicans, i would say hell no. see, we conservatives can see and be honest about manipulative efforts...even when they are in our party.

I guarantee, the left will try to abolish the constitution within 4 years. next up: christianity.

so liberals. leftists. democrats. the war is coming, a shooting war. and because you know you will lose you will court china or the UN to come in and help you out. You will label the conservatives racists, oppressors, dimwits, etc. To do this, your mobs will riot the museums where the documents are stored and destroy them, then you will pressure to overturn the constitution in order to make a new "fair and righteous" one. with no constitution the military will have nothing  swear an oath on so youll try to repurpose them to advance your agenda. BUT they wont....and you know it, so youll try to create such a destruction of patriotism and USA culture that no one will want to join the military.. youll get AOC to say the military is a colonist oppressor.....BUT WAIT YOUVE ALREADY BEGUN that......so the military will be depleted and at the same time, with no constitution, you will then try to take all our guns.youll take away our property because "land ownership is racist!" LOL ive heard it!

LOOK! you have already begun to ban single family suburbs in cities all over the USA! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/18/upshot/cities-across-america-question-single-family-zoning.html https://www.curbed.com/2019/12/26/21037831/virginia-housing-density-zoning-suburbs OH NO, people cant work hard and achieve the fruits of their labor, so you take away the fruit? see, YOU ARE DESTROYING AMERICA, and anything worth living for. Soon youll also ban wealth transfer such as inheritance. it will all go to the state.

communism or worse is coming!

Edited by pbarosso
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, they don't need senators from another state, they either need their own or need to stay as they are.  It is the seat of our federal government and it should not be the responsibility of any other state.

i was giving my opinion.  the senate is a mess.  why should vermont and wyoming and rhode island have the same power in the senate as California, Texas and Florida?  Maybe it made sense in 1787 but is unequal representation now by a long shot. the last thing we need is a city that has the power in the senate as a state the size of california. and i vote democrat so i know it would be a pickup for the dems, but its still dumb in my opinion.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

A PREFACE: do you realize that at least 70% of people in this country are too stupid to know what is ACTUALLY good for them? now lets begin.

ABOUT LIBERALISM:reagan said it best: They know so much about things that arent so. in short, liberals make up things to be experts at. liberalism is a deception that like morpheus in the matrix, requires you to step out of it to understand...the red pill.

ABOUT WHY DC CANT BECOME A STATE: the founding fathers knew that the capitol should not be in the hands of a party affiliated area, just think of the problems it could create. see those rioters? see those statues they are smashing? yeeeeahh, we all know the left controls the MOB...the RABBLE......you think that things would get better if a political organization controlled the capitol?

even if it was the republicans, i would say hell no. see, we conservatives can see and be honest about manipulative efforts...even when they are in our party.

I guarantee, the left will try to abolish the constitution within 4 years. next up: christianity.

so liberals. leftists. democrats. the war is coming, a shooting war. and because you know you will lose you will court china or the UN to come in and help you out. You will label the conservatives racists, oppressors, dimwits, etc. To do this, your mobs will riot the museums where the documents are stored and destroy them, then you will pressure to overturn the constitution in order to make a new "fair and righteous" one. with no constitution the military will have nothing  swear an oath on so youll try to repurpose them to advance your agenda. BUT they wont....and you know it, so youll try to create such a destruction of patriotism and USA culture that no one will want to join the military.. youll get AOC to say the military is a colonist oppressor.....BUT WAIT YOUVE ALREADY BEGUN that......so the military will be depleted and at the same time, with no constitution, you will then try to take all our guns.youll take away our property because "land ownership is racist!" LOL ive heard it!

LOOK! you have already begun to ban single family suburbs in cities all over the USA! https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/18/upshot/cities-across-america-question-single-family-zoning.html https://www.curbed.com/2019/12/26/21037831/virginia-housing-density-zoning-suburbs OH NO, people cant work hard and achieve the fruits of their labor, so you take away the fruit? see, YOU ARE DESTROYING AMERICA, and anything worth living for. Soon youll also ban wealth transfer such as inheritance. it will all go to the state.

take your nap now. that must have been exhausting. LOL

One country two systems? 

~

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, micahc said:

i was giving my opinion.  the senate is a mess.  why should vermont and wyoming and rhode island have the same power in the senate as California, Texas and Florida?  Maybe it made sense in 1787 but is unequal representation now by a long shot. the last thing we need is a city that has the power in the senate as a state the size of california. and i vote democrat so i know it would be a pickup for the dems, but its still dumb in my opinion.  

I agree, it should not be a state and it should not be given to any other state.  It was written in the constitution that way on purpose.  The whole question should be moot and probably is just another group being manipulated into making a scene about something they know nothing about.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The whole question should be moot and probably is just another group being manipulated into making a scene about something they know nothing about.

House Democrats say they want to make a point on Friday by voting to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state even though the legislation is doomed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/26/883257716/house-vote-friday-would-make-d-c-the-51st-state-trump-and-the-senate-say-no

You'd think they would, but nothing surprises me anymore.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

Wow, that was really.... ranty, lol. 

And BTW, no one is trying to ban single family suburbs. There are zero bans on single family homes being built. The zoning codes in question is if the zoning that allows ONLY single family homes should be updated to ALSO include non-single family homes. The zoning codes, if changed, would lift a ban that has been in place for a while. It would not impose a new ban. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

House Democrats say they want to make a point on Friday by voting to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state even though the legislation is doomed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/26/883257716/house-vote-friday-would-make-d-c-the-51st-state-trump-and-the-senate-say-no

You'd think they would, but nothing surprises me anymore.

I will be writing Deb Haaland about this.  What a waste.  And NPR is not some place where news is made up.

• Like 1

Can we just admit the real reason that the GOP does't want DC or PR to be a state is because they'd be solid democrat, and holding onto power is more important to them then our ideals?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pbarosso said:

...I am seriously asking, not to be a jerk, not to be a cad, but seriously with concern.

Are you okay, man?

38 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

...I am seriously asking, not to be a jerk, not to be a cad, but seriously with concern.

Are you okay, man?

quite.

if youve never head these ideas or these fact(in the case of: https://www.governing.com/topics/urban/gov-zoning-density.html ) then you live somewhere a.) where there are no conservatives, or b.) somewhere where there is no concept of thinking from all angles, or c.) somewhere outside the USA, in which case youd be better off reading and not posting or at least stating that you are an outside observer.

these are serious things to consider. every single conservative i know has at least considered these things. the fact that you have not, is a serious blow to your chess game skills or lack of applying such chess skills to things outside the game itself.

51 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Can we just admit the real reason that the GOP does't want DC or PR to be a state is because they'd be solid democrat, and holding onto power is more important to them then our ideals?

well DUH. consider what solid democrat means though: manipulation, divide and conquer, intolerance, revisionism, propaganda x4 of what the cons do, and many more things. but manipulation is key among them. just read about the communist fathers and get back to me....trotsky, lenin, stalin, how they whipped up the people into a revolution called the bolshevik revolution. you may have heard of it...its pretty similar to whats going on here in the USA in terms of propaganda, manipulation, insurrection etc...

but its not about being more important than our ideals. first off what ideals? freedom? check. opportunity to advance yourself? check check check. the ideals you speak of are probably not even being fundamentally challenged. they exist, you are being distracted.

take the police reform bill ideas. DID you know, its not up to the federal govt? THIS is a state and local govt issue, but you and others might not know that. so whats the chess move here? its the bishop, moved out ahead to distract the pawns with his high ideals in hopes of breaking their focus. when the pawns move to thwart him the queen sneaks through.  

how about slight of hand. the democrats are great at this. READ this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Alinsky DID you know that in a school yard say k-12 these ideas would be considered bullying? yet the left uses them daily, through their control of the media and education institutions. 

you think the democrats have the black population's best interests in mind here? think again. what ever happened to personal responsibility? the democrats dont dare say that that guy in at the wendy's was in the wrong do they? NOPE they make hi into a martyr admit it. your thinking is flawed.

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

No, that is not it.  It is written clearly in the constitution why DC should not be a state.  I suppose you never had to read the constitution in school.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, that is not it.  It is written clearly in the constitution why DC should not be a state.  I suppose you never had to read the constitution in school.

Our founding documents also have a thing about no taxation without representation. Its time for a change to give DC the same rights as every other American. But again, that's not going to happen because it'd help the democrats and we're already dealing with a congress who's response to a democrat filling a supreme court seat is 'yeah we're not doing that no matter what the constitution says, try again when its a white guy'. 

2 hours ago, micahc said:

The U.S is a representative republic. 

It's to stop mob rule.

It's designed so that it's hard for the government to pass laws. You aren't suppose to be able to make radical changes if you only have a simple majority.

It's a protection. So that no matter where you are as a citizen you can have a voice to protect yourself. (Except D.C apprently for other reasons)

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

I mean are we also going to act like the Democrats aren't gungho about the idea simply because it would give two more Senate seats?

Really?

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I mean are we also going to act like the Democrats aren't gungho about the idea simply because it would give two more Senate seats?

Really?

If you benefit from doing the right thing, its still doing the right thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Autochthon1990 said:

If you benefit from doing the right thing, its still doing the right thing. 

If it was a republican stronghold you believe that the house would of passed it? Lol.

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

If it was a republican stronghold you believe that the house would of passed it? Lol.

Speaking Cynically, yes, because that would get a lot of people thinking 'democrats aren't so bad after all'

The size of the District of Columbia could be reduced to just the precincts of government, and the rest of the city of Washington made into a state. This would, it appears, solve the problem of lack of full and just  legislative representation for 700,000 American citizens, while also avoiding the problem of a state sharing territory with the District of Columbia.

Edited by bison

10 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Our founding documents also have a thing about no taxation without representation. Its time for a change to give DC the same rights as every other American. But again, that's not going to happen because it'd help the democrats and we're already dealing with a congress who's response to a democrat filling a supreme court seat is 'yeah we're not doing that no matter what the constitution says, try again when its a white guy'. 

It's not going to happen because the constitution would have to be changed and that is not going to happen.  Taxation without representation is not the issue, though I suppose uneducated people would think it is.