Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three Gorges Dam danger

Hankenhunter

I just checked windy.com, and a very large chunk of China is forecasted to get a meter of water over the next 4 days. This is on top of the already humongous amount they've already gotten. The reservoir is almost full, and all gates are open. It's not looking good. The commentator doesn't mention how much rain is coming.

Edited by Hankenhunter
Clarity
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

I just checked windy.com, and a very large chunk of China is forecasted to get a meter of rain over the next 4 days. This is on top of the already humongous amount they've already gotten. The reservoir is almost full, and all gates are open. It's not looking good. The commentator doesn't mention how much rain is coming.

I dont think the photo comparison of the dam in the video is legit. Looks shopped.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A bit more detail. China seems to be clamping down on the media now. Not a lot getting out. I hope this isnt a repeat of 1975.

But with China's secrecy with Covid 19 data, and news reports, I fear they will try to do the same if the dam bursts, or overtops.

For those that have never heard of the 1975 Banqiao Dam failure. A cascade of disasters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They took years to build that dam and I really hope they built it better than many of their other structures.  The loss of life if it fails will be heart-breaking.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Seems the Three Gorges Dam is still under danger of catastrophic failure. 

According to Chinese officials the water height is at 163 meters, some people looking at satellite pictures are suggesting water height is around 170 meters but that is unconfirmed and purely speculative.  The Three Gorges Dam was designed to hold water to 175 meters so it's getting close to its limit. 

The bigger problem is that even more rain is expected for the next 2 weeks approximately.  A dam operator speaking to local news said there are 13 days till the reservoir is completely filled.  Seems they are trying to open flood gates enough to relieve pressure and make room for expected water from the rains without flooding the areas down stream too badly.

There are also some reports of deformation on peripheral parts of the dam's structure, the Chinese government is saying these are of no concern but others seem worried about potential collapse.

Next week or two should be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They can't even run for the hills because of the severe land slide danger. Three Gorges dam is one landslide away from being breached. If one hits the reservoir.... Lets just say the CPC wont be able to hide it like they did they did in 1975.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1