Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voice actors will no longer act other races

TigerBright19

'The Simpsons is ending the use of white actors to voice black and ethnic minority characters, producers have said.  The move follows years of controversy about the issue and calls for greater diversity within the entertainment industry.  It also comes against a backdrop of heightened tensions in the US about racism, following mass protests over the killing of black Americans by police, sparked by the death of George Floyd.'

'In a statement, the Fox network, which broadcasts the show, said: "Moving forward, The Simpsons will no longer have white actors voice non-white characters."

'Mike Henry, a white actor, who had lent his voice to Family Guy character Cleveland Brown since 1999, said on Twitter he was stepping down.  "It’s been an honor to play Cleveland on Family Guy for 20 years.  I love this character, but persons of color should play characters of color.  Therefore, I will be stepping down from the role."

https://news.sky.com/story/the-simpsons-to-stop-white-actors-voicing-non-white-characters-12015756

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. The rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• The title was changed to Voice actors will no longer act other races

Ridiculous. Black appeasement reaches a new low. 

Also, who on the simpsons is white? They look mostly yellow to me.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, justin3651 said:

Ridiculous. Black appeasement reaches a new low. 

Also, who on the simpsons is white? They look mostly yellow to me.

Will it stop at race?  Can a straight man voice act a gay character?  Can a Christian voice act a Jewish Rabbi?  Can any adult with two legs perform a one legged pirate with maybe a hook?  Can a man with sight play a blind man?  I thought the whole point of 'acting' was to be someone they are not, otherwise they would just be acting themselves.  Imagine what an Oscar winning performance will turn into.

"And the winner for Best leading actor goes to ...…. for acting themselves.  What a believable performance they gave."

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

"Let's think..... What else can we ruin....."

"How about The Simpsons?"

• Like 2

For a show that has the dumbest 'white' guy as the main character, they are complaining about what colour the actors are? This is getting crazy.  Being 'woke' is being dense about real history and real life. Trying to 'fix everything is making it worse.  The devide between races is spreading, not pulling everyone together.  Isn't this what we should be working towards?  Being the human race?

• Like 5

Self-imposed segregation? Will non whites no longer be permitted to voice white characters? Seems like that would limit employment options.

• Like 4

This is exactly what Hillary and the DNC straight said they hoped to accomplish in the Wikileaks emails. Congratulations Dems.  You got exactly what you voted for. 

Will only men voice men, women voice women and does this extend to hair colour as well?  

I understood that the definition of a good actor is that they could convincingly play any role.  Obviously this is no longer acceptable :(  

Anyone portraying Father Christmas - whether on TV, radio or as a voice character in a cartoon -  who is not a fat, jolly, bearded, Briton, is, of course highly offensive and a classic example of culture appropriation.   Note that Santa Claus is a completely different person, and can only be portrayed by Turks.  Possibly of Dutch descent.

They want diversity, yet want to remove white actors? they are doing the same thing they accuse others. Diversity means all races by excluding whites your just reversing discrimination. 

• Like 2

What about Donald Duck? 

Or Mickey Mouse? 

Oh no... 

Who is gonna be the voice of God now? 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Essan said:

Will only men voice men, women voice women and does this extend to hair colour as well?  

I understood that the definition of a good actor is that they could convincingly play any role.  Obviously this is no longer acceptable :(  

Anyone portraying Father Christmas - whether on TV, radio or as a voice character in a cartoon -  who is not a fat, jolly, bearded, Briton, is, of course highly offensive and a classic example of culture appropriation.   Note that Santa Claus is a completely different person, and can only be portrayed by Turks.  Possibly of Dutch descent.

Nancy Jean Cartwright voices Bart Simpson.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glorybebe said:

For a show that has the dumbest 'white' guy as the main character, they are complaining about what colour the actors are? This is getting crazy.  Being 'woke' is being dense about real history and real life. Trying to 'fix everything is making it worse.  The devide between races is spreading, not pulling everyone together.  Isn't this what we should be working towards?  Being the human race?

When I discovered that 2 of the cofounders of BLM were admitted Marxists, this all became crystal clear, instantly.  It's classic disinformation, creating rage and directing it at the culture they need to dismantle before they rise to power.  The only reason anyone is even aware of their stupidity is that they own the media and the media are complicit.

9 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

They want diversity, yet want to remove white actors? they are doing the same thing they accuse others. Diversity means all races by excluding whites your just reversing discrimination. 

Be mindful of where you say that.  These days, its probably an offense worthy of losing your job or having your family address put out on the net so thugs can come to your house.  OR...as Jack Del Rio (coach for Washington Redskins) recently responded to Twitter Nazis - "you can kiss my ass"  :w00t:  These perpetually offended victims are never going to change until they bump up against hard reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Nancy Jean Cartwright voices Bart Simpson.

I recently saw her on a youtube channel.  I forget the context but she was talking to a teen who was working at some business and they got on the topic of Bart.  She went into full character mode and it freaked the kid out :w00t:

10 hours ago, third_eye said:

Who is gonna be the voice of God now? 

That will always be Morgan Freeman lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Why not use the appropriate race to voice cartoons, it's amazing that as a modernized and developed culture,  we still give minority rolls to white people. 

I am pretty sure there are Indian/Asian/Hispanic and black actors who are capable of doing the job and looking for work.

It's the smallest change, that makes no difference to my life but actually provides realistic global models and not clowned representations. It causes no harm to anyone to change it, but it does help normalize races.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

Why not use the appropriate race to voice cartoons, it's amazing that as a modernized and developed culture,  we still give minority rolls to white people. 

I am pretty sure there are Indian/Asian/Hispanic and black actors who are capable of doing the job and looking for work.

It's the smallest change, that makes no difference to my life but actually provides realistic global models and not clowned representations. It causes no harm to anyone to change it, but it does help normalize races.

Does that mean you don't think people of colour should voice act white roles, too? As distasteful as it might be to accept, what you are advocating is employment discrimination based on race. 

Edited by Hammerclaw

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Does that mean you don't think people of colour should voice act white roles, too? As distasteful as it might be to accept, what you are advocating is employment discrimination based on race. 

Yes. As I said, we do not need to clown each other..

But you can pick sides if you prefer it that way. 

Me, I  like to play it fair.

What I am advocating is that rolls for Asian people go to Asian people,  rolls for white people go to white people, Hispanic to Hispanics and so on and so on, discrimination, maybe, reality,  definitely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No wonder I quit watching tv and barely see movies. I don't care who plays who, I just want a good story, good characters and no damn politics. 

At least I'm saving money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Yes. As I said, we do not need to clown each other..

But you can pick sides if you prefer it that way. 

Me, I  like to play it fair.

What I am advocating is that rolls for Asian people go to Asian people,  rolls for white people go to white people, Hispanic to Hispanics and so on and so on, discrimination, maybe, reality,  definitely. 

What about audio books and children's shows that only have one narrator? e.g. Thomas and friends.  They employ one voice actor to do all of the voices.  The actor has to be versatile and talented in his performance.  That's why only one voice is needed because they are in essence reading the script like a bedtime story for kids.  The production team would not be able to budget a large vocal cast to do all of the voices for all of the genders and races within their tight budget, that's probably why they only need one talented actor who can succeed in doing them all and also the audience can grow accustomed to their familiar voice and tune in again.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TigerBright19 said:

What about audio books and children's shows that only have one narrator? e.g. Thomas and friends.  They employ one voice actor to do all of the voices.  The actor has to be versatile and talented in his performance.  That's why only one voice is needed because they are in essence reading the script like a bedtime story for kids.  They would not be able to budget a large cast to do all of the voice when only one talented actor is needed, especially when working with a tight budget.

An audio book is an audio book. Like reading to your child or being read to.  The need to use one narrator obvious,.

The change in reality based voices in animation and reality based actors in movies will eventually evolve out a need to see other races as a characature. It is actually a move that just makes our actual population realistic. 

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

An audio book is an audio book. Like reading to your child or being read to.  The need to use one narrator obvious,.

The change in reality based voices in animation and reality based actors in movies will eventually evolve out a need to see other races as a characature. It is actually a move that just makes our actual population realistic. 

But is it right that a white man can be hired to read '12 years a slave' on audio book format?  Surely what is the difference between that and asking a white guy already on the payroll to step inside the booth for a minute and voice act a black character or southern white character for 10 seconds of a show?

Edited by TigerBright19

8 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Isn't the point of entertainment to escape reality? Does it actually matter who voices who. I don't care if an albino midget voices Bruce Banner, so long as they do a good job. 

How many of us put much thought about who voices what character? I know I never did.

PC culture sucks. 

• Like 6

What about James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader?  Should they edit his voice out of the films and replace it with a white voice actor?

"I am your father."

Which one?

darth.png

• Like 4