Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voice actors will no longer act other races

TigerBright19

Just now, XenoFish said:

Someone gets it.:tu:

Read the quote he quoted. It actually just records what I said. And yet Hammerclaw was right and I was wrong. Same exact argument, so why do you view the discussion points differently?

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

"Act Asian"?!?!? I'm really just dying to hear exactly how you think Asians act. 

Hammerclaw you know exactly what I mean.  Racist stereotypes are not a thing from ancient history,  that you have never experienced.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Never mind. I had a long response, but my opinions do not matter. Screw it. I'm done. You win. 

That's fine, come back when you can tell me how my argument and Hammerclaws where different. 

11 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Hammerclaw you know exactly what I mean.  Racist stereotypes are not a thing from ancient history,  that you have never experienced.

Ma'am, I grew up in the lil' o' South and I'm quite familiar with  racial stereotypes targeting both blacks and whites here. Go through our downtown area and on the sides of older building are still the now disused or repurposed Jim Crow entrances for blacks. I watched Amos and Andy and the Beverly Hillbillies, both ethnic stereotypes, on TV. My mentors were of "The Greatest Generation" who fought and experienced WW2, many still holding fast to antiquated stereotypical attitudes vis a vis race and gender. Public school did a good job educating me out of them--but not completely. That took more time and age. So believe me when I say this idea, if implemented broadly, is a monumental step backwards and is prejudice, pure and simple, disguised as progressive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Ma'am, I grew up in the lil' o' South and I'm quite familiar with  racial stereotypes targeting both blacks and whites here. Go through our downtown area and on the sides of older building are still the now disused or repurposed Jim Crow entrances for blacks. I watched Amos and Andy and the Beverly Hillbillies, both ethnic stereotypes, on TV. My mentors were of "The Greatest Generation" who fought and experienced WW2, many still holding fast to antiquated stereotypical attitudes vis a vis race and gender. Public school did a good job educating me out of them--but not completely. That took more time and age. So believe me when I say this idea, if implemented broadly, is a monumental step backwards and is prejudice, pure and simple, disguised as progressive.

So it is better in your opinion for The Simpsons to have Asian characters like Apu or the studios Asian student played  by white people. Is that not equal to black face?

Just now, Kismit said:

So it is better in your opinion for The Simpsons to have Asian actors like Apu or the studios Asian student played  by white people. Is that not equal to black face?

You seem to have difficultly separating the concept of character acting from caricature. I have no problem with any ethnicity voice-acting any ethnicity, but a caricature acted by the identified ethnicity is still a caricature. 

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You seem to have difficultly separating the concept of character acting from caricature. I have no problem with any ethnicity voice-acting any ethnicity, but a caricature acted by the identified ethnicity is still a caricature. 

Is it an equivalent caricature? Isn't it less likely to be confused as mockery. if the race representation is realistic,?

Is it or is it not equal to black face when a white person acts in black caricature?

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Is it an equivalent caricature? Isn't it less likely to be confused as mockery. if the race representation is realistic,?

Is it or is it not equal to black face when a white person acts in black caricature?

No it's not, and to use the a person of the same ethnicity to justify an ethnic stereotype is farcical, disingenuous and even more offensive. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No it's not, and to use the a person of the same ethnicity to justify an ethnic stereotype is farcical, disingenuous and even more offensive. 

We can't agree here, and yet we were closer in understanding than you may want to admit here.

15 minutes ago, Kismit said:

We can't agree here, and yet we were closer in understanding than you may want to admit here.

I think we both understand that ethnic caricatures can be deeply offensive and should be eliminated, entirely, as they can still be perpetuated by people of the same ethnicity.  I'll end this with a song from one of the greatest ethnic charades of them all.

Edited by Hammerclaw

On 6/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, Kismit said:

I believe we should have the roll wich s dedicated to an ethnicity played by that ethnicity. If a roll is changeable then it can be adapted to anyone playing it, however if say you have a roll like Apu from the Simpsons who is supposed to be Indian, then truly his voice could and should be played by an Indian.

It makes sense to me that children hear a comical pee take of a nationality and connect it to a comedic joke. Were as an Indian voicing the Indian roll means that the child actually has a genuine experience.  Making the cultural reality normal, rather than the comedic pee taking currently viewed as normal.

I mean you wouldn't cast Russell Crowe to play Martin Luther King.

How do you see this type of casting being viewed in 30 years time?

Except in the case of Cliff Curtis and Ruby Dee?

On 6/30/2020 at 6:44 AM, XenoFish said:

Oh please, by all means do tell me how others view those with a southern accent. I'm all ears. 

Like this guy?

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)

On 6/30/2020 at 8:59 AM, Kismit said:

If you're hung up on Apu from The Simpsons, then you need to look up Goodness Gracious Me.  It's a sketch comedy show from British Indians laughing at themselves and mocking the Indian stereotype.  They occasionally give chav culture a fair old whack too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wot aboot "Mind your language" ?

~

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Wot aboot "Mind your language" ?

~

Dino Shafeek was also in It Ain't Half Hot Mum 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

If you're hung up on Apu from The Simpsons, then you need to look up Goodness Gracious Me.  It's a sketch comedy show from British Indians laughing at themselves and mocking the Indian stereotype.  They occasionally give chav culture a fair old whack too.

Can't let that mention pass without sharing this classic.

Brilliant subversion of the stereotype.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, Hammerclaw said:

I think we both understand that ethnic caricatures can be deeply offensive and should be eliminated, entirely, as they can still be perpetuated by people of the same ethnicity.  

So, if Groundskeeper Willie is voiced by a Scot, it's still offensive.

btw what is the difference between Apu being voiced by a white American and Willie being voiced by a white America?  ;)   

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

See, that's where it is different.  There was a program called Wogs out of work in the 80's. It was very stereotypical, and even the name was racist. However it was written and used by the culture itself to give them. control and strength over the racism. It was very funny and Australians loved it.

It isn't about the race or even if the stereotypes are accurate, it isn't right for people outside of that culture to take the Mick, but it's ok for tha culture to joke about themselves.

10 minutes ago, Kismit said:

See, that's where it is different.  There was a program called Wogs out of work in the 80's. It was very stereotypical, and even the name was racist. However it was written and used by the culture itself to give them. control and strength over the racism. It was very funny and Australians loved it.

It isn't about the race or even if the stereotypes are accurate, it isn't right for people outside of that culture to take the Mick, but it's ok for tha culture to joke about themselves.

That's a double standard that the Irish and Catholics have been living with for decades.

www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/34622/p34622...

• Like 1