Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voice actors will no longer act other races

TigerBright19

32 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

But is it right that a white man can be hired to read '12 years a slave' on audio book format?  Surely what is the difference between that and asking a white guy already on the payroll to step inside the booth for a minute and voice act a black character or southern white character for 10 seconds of a show?

Is the book written in the first person. Is it narrative based on the life of a black slave? Is there a black voice actor available and willing to narrate it. Then why not have a black narrator tell the story? Where is the harm? Does it change your life? Is it sensible?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Isn't the point of entertainment to escape reality? Does it actually matter who voices who. I don't care if an albino midget voices Bruce Banner, so long as they do a good job. 

How many of us put much thought about who voices what character? I know I never did.

PC culture sucks. 

You apparently don't watch TV or movies, but the point of entertainment is cultural art archiving. Gone with the wind for example means different things to different people but it shows a psychological profile of the dominant class from that era. 

Art and entertainment are not escapism they are reflections of society.  It's time we actually reflected society as it really is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Is the book written in the first person. Is it narrative based on the life of a black slave? Is there a black voice actor available and willing to narrate it. Then why not have a black narrator tell the story? Where is the harm? Does it change your life? Is it sensible?

But that would mean the white voice actor is being discriminated against because of his race or gender.  It affects his life because his roles would be shorter and he would be paid less as a direct result of not having the right skin shade or gender.  If the situation was reversed and a mixed race actor was voice acting a pure race character like Sherlock Holmes then should that mixed race actor be turned down for the role simple because he does not have the right shade of skin and family background?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kismit said:

You apparently don't watch TV or movies, but the point of entertainment is cultural art archiving. Gone with the wind for example means different things to different people but it shows a psychological profile of the dominant class from that era. 

Art and entertainment are not escapism they are reflections of society.  It's time we actually reflected society as it really is.

It doesn't work as a reflection of society if the TV drama or movie is set in the past e.g. Victorian London.  The BBC are well known for butchering history with PC tripe as they essentially whitewash the past e.g.  The BBC 2019 drama A Christmas Carol had ethnic minorities and interracial marriages like it was a common accepted thing.  They said they wanted to show "a fresh perspective" of the story.  It is impossible to change a period set novel into a drama that has a fresh perspective.  They are polar opposites.  The past has to be brutal and racist in order for it to be authentic, otherwise they are faking history with a PC version of what they would have liked it to have been, which makes no sense at all when retelling a story set in the past.  The context of the story has to be kept in the past.  Modern perspectives should be reserved only for present day dramas.  That is fundamentally what helps young viewers distinguish the past from the present.

44 minutes ago, Kismit said:

This is what I call over thinking entertainment. Not every show is a documentary. 

• Like 1

Second thought, never mind. We are at a point where any opinion is offensive. Where you can't please anyone nor make them happy. Why should tv, movies, video games be any different. So long as you tow the PC line you're good. Screw talents, gotta make that quota. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kismit said:

What? Lol.

The point of entertainment would surely be to entertain ? 

You can study aspects of culture through entertainment sure, but that's not the point of it.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kismit said:

Yes. As I said, we do not need to clown each other..

But you can pick sides if you prefer it that way. 

Me, I  like to play it fair.

What I am advocating is that rolls for Asian people go to Asian people,  rolls for white people go to white people, Hispanic to Hispanics and so on and so on, discrimination, maybe, reality,  definitely. 

That would freeze most people if colour out, not in. You are advocating segregation, East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet? It's not inclusive. it's divisive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kismit said:

What I am advocating is that rolls for Asian people go to Asian people,  rolls for white people go to white people, Hispanic to Hispanics and so on and so on, discrimination, maybe, reality,  definitely. 

What you are advocating for is race based discrimination. If the voice actor is doing a good job, why do you care what race they are? It seems very racist.

A perfect example is the God of War video game, where a light skinned character is voiced by a black man. Does anyone care? Not yet apparently. But in your world the game developer would run an add for voice actors with a tag line "Whites only to apply". Can you see how this could limit the opportunities for minorities and even non minority voice actors?

Or,  in your opinion, does race based discrimination only apply to light skinned actors and can be forgiven for minorities?

image.jpeg.41d76d8c0bec161e546da1c0f5ad4863.jpeg

5 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

What you are advocating for is race based discrimination. If the voice actor is doing a good job, why do you care what race they are? It seems very racist.

A perfect example is the God of War video game, where a light skinned character is voiced by a black man. Does anyone care? Not yet apparently. But in your world the game developer would run an add for voice actors with a tag line "Whites only to apply". Can you see how this could limit the opportunities for minorities and even non minority voice actors?

Or,  in your opinion, does race based discrimination only apply to light skinned actors and can be forgiven for minorities?

image.jpeg.41d76d8c0bec161e546da1c0f5ad4863.jpeg

So, you believe that if a roll exists for an Indian/Asian/Hispanic/Black person, we should be okay if those rolls go to the already heavily represented white people in society?

Even if there are literally 100's of non white actors looking for work. How many non white actors do you think get rolls written or are traditional for white people? Maybe the recent revival of Annie? 

Do casting agencies already ask for physical traits during call outs? Yes, indeed they do. Including ethnicity. Is that racist?

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That would freeze most people if colour out, not in. You are advocating segregation, East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet? It's not inclusive. it's divisive.

No I am not. I am disavowing this .....

January 28, 2016 at 6:00 AM EST

The Internet was shocked — shocked! — to learn this week that white guy Joseph Fiennes has been cast as African American icon Michael Jackson in a TV movie. But anyone who’s surprised at this news hasn’t been paying attention.

from Washington post. 100 times a white actor played someone who wasn't white

I am not asking for segregation I am advocating for correct representation. 

If I go to a Chinese restaurant,  I  kind of expect it to be run by Asians and not white people pretending to be Asian. I don't mind if white people run the restaurant but it is 100% racist for them to act Asian. Wouldn't you agree?

17 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

What? Lol.

The point of entertainment would surely be to entertain ? 

You can study aspects of culture through entertainment sure, but that's not the point of it.

You are right I jumped ahead of myself here. Entertainment is for entertaining.  It serves as a record for cultural beliefs and societal psychology after the fact.

Where do you believe societal attitudes will evolve to in the future in relation to actors portraying race rolls outside of there scope?

36 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Where do you believe societal attitudes will evolve to in the future in relation to actors portraying race rolls outside of there scope?

Just out of interest. Do you object only to 'white' actors taking on 'non-white' roles, or do you believe that casting should always be ethnically appropriate? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

Just out of interest. Do you object only to 'white' actors taking on 'non-white' roles, or do you believe that casting should always be ethnically appropriate? 

I believe we should have the roll wich s dedicated to an ethnicity played by that ethnicity. If a roll is changeable then it can be adapted to anyone playing it, however if say you have a roll like Apu from the Simpsons who is supposed to be Indian, then truly his voice could and should be played by an Indian.

It makes sense to me that children hear a comical pee take of a nationality and connect it to a comedic joke. Were as an Indian voicing the Indian roll means that the child actually has a genuine experience.  Making the cultural reality normal, rather than the comedic pee taking currently viewed as normal.

I mean you wouldn't cast Russell Crowe to play Martin Luther King.

How do you see this type of casting being viewed in 30 years time?

36 minutes ago, Kismit said:

believe we should have the roll wich s dedicated to an ethnicity played by that ethnicity. If a roll is changeable then it can be adapted to anyone playing it, however if say you have a roll like Apu from the Simpsons who is supposed to be Indian, then truly his voice could and should be played by an Indian.

So in other words you would rather see highly talented voice actor/actresses out of work just to pander to PC culture? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I believe we should have the roll wich s dedicated to an ethnicity played by that ethnicity. If a roll is changeable then it can be adapted to anyone playing it, however if say you have a roll like Apu from the Simpsons who is supposed to be Indian, then truly his voice could and should be played by an Indian.

It makes sense to me that children hear a comical pee take of a nationality and connect it to a comedic joke. Were as an Indian voicing the Indian roll means that the child actually has a genuine experience.  Making the cultural reality normal, rather than the comedic pee taking currently viewed as normal.

I mean you wouldn't cast Russell Crowe to play Martin Luther King.

How do you see this type of casting being viewed in 30 years time?

I mostly agree with you. 

But then I think about actors like Cliff Curtis. If he couldn't play Hispanics and Arabs his CV would be a lot shorter than it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arbenol said:

I mostly agree with you. 

But then I think about actors like Cliff Curtis. If he couldn't play Hispanics and Arabs his CV would be a lot shorter than it is.

And we are very proud of Uncle Bully. 

Here is a quote from Ridley Scott discussing why his movie Exodus is mostly played by white people while set in ancient Egypt, 

I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say my lead actor is Mohammed so-and-so from such-and-such,” said Scott. “I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”

There are obstacles to race that we should still fight against. 

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So in other words you would rather see highly talented voice actor/actresses out of work just to pander to PC culture? 

Are you saying highly talented voice over actors who are more suited to the role should be out of work so that you don't offend people who are offended by pc culture?

2 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Are you saying highly talented voice over actors who are more suited to the role should be overlooked so that you don't offend people who are offended by pc culture?

What?

Does the black voice actor (notice voice is not a viewable trait in any format) in God of War offend you? Should it be a white actor because the character is white?

Edited by Hugh Mungus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

So, you believe that if a roll exists for an Indian/Asian/Hispanic/Black person, we should be okay if those rolls go to the already heavily represented white people in society?

Even if there are literally 100's of non white actors looking for work. How many non white actors do you think get rolls written or are traditional for white people? Maybe the recent revival of Annie? 

Yes, if they are the best person for the job. After all, they are creating a consumer product, not making a political statement.

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

Do casting agencies already ask for physical traits during call outs? Yes, indeed they do. Including ethnicity. Is that racist?

Voice acting is not a visible form of acting. Heck, did they cast blue people for avatar? or is it a mix of races, based on the talent of voice acting?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Are you saying highly talented voice over actors who are more suited to the role should be out of work so that you don't offend people who are offended by pc culture?

I'm asking you that. If a voice actor/actress can portray a wide variety of characters regardless of race. Should they not get a role because they're not the right pigmentation? 

I suppose only Martians can voice Marvin the Martian.

27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

14 minutes ago, Kismit said:

giving peoples rights, which in many ways should have been the norm but which for cultural and historical reasons they were not, is difficult. There will be "winners" (very small 'w') and losers. Those who were precluded from opportunities will find new avenues open to them. Those who traditionally filled these roles - in absolute good faith  - will find similar opportunities restricted in the future. This will be difficult for them. But which is the correct approach? The answer to that should guide the decision making.

From experience when the NI Good Friday agreement was written - some in one community were against - it was too one sided - give too much to the other side and they got nothing back in return - they would lose jobs etc. The other community were confused by such reactions - off course the first  community were going to lose out a bit because hitherto they had everything, and a fairer society demanded a more equitable share which meant the first community had to accept some 'rebalancing'.    

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'm asking you that. If a voice actor/actress can portray a wide variety of characters regardless of race. Should they not get a role because they're not the right pigmentation? 

I suppose only Martians can voice Marvin the Martian.

You see you are taking it to extremes only you are after a serious answer.

Here I say again, if a roll is meant to be played by a minority,  every effort should be taken to make that voice realistic and not a clowning representation. 

So now I am going to ask you, how do you believe this subject matter will be viewed in 30 years?

Just now, Kismit said:

You see you are taking it to extremes only you are after a serious answer.

Here I say again, if a roll is meant to be played by a minority,  every effort should be taken to make that voice realistic and not a clowning representation. 

So now I am going to ask you, how do you believe this subject matter will be viewed in 30 years?

I don't think anything will last for 30 years at this pace. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kismit said:

And we are very proud of Uncle Bully. 

Here is a quote from Ridley Scott discussing why his movie Exodus is mostly played by white people while set in ancient Egypt, 

There are obstacles to race that we should still fight against. 

I'm sorry to press the argument, but is Cliff Curtis able to play Arabs and Hispanic's in your view?

Or should he wait until the live action Moana until he gets his first Hollywood Polynesian acting role? 

Edited by Hugh Mungus
getting Cliff Curtis' name right
  • Like 1