Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Dustyrose33

Sound Of Tin Cans

Recommended Posts

Dustyrose33
Posted (edited)

Many years ago back in the 80s my family bought some property in the beautiful Texas Hill Country in a place called Utopia.   It was like no other place I've ever been, almost like leaving Earth and going to another world.  It has a rich history of Native Americans and Settlers who once lived there.  We did a lot of deer hunting, and usually each one of us bagged at least one deer each season.   

Utopia remains a small town with still less than 400 for the population.   At the time the property (28 acres) was purchased I had no idea of the history of the general area.   However, as time went by we always had the feeling while out walking around that we were being watched.   An old 14 x 80 1976 model mobile home was moved onto the property (at that time it was only about 10 years old).  More experiences happened in that home as well.

So, one day just before dusk my dad went to put out corn, and he was alone.  He said suddenly he heard what sounded like a string of tin cans pass right in front of him, and went on by down a hill.   He said he quickly put out the rest of the corn and headed back to the trailer, kind of shaken.   I ask if he thought someone was running machinery that made the noise, but he said no.   A few years ago I told a woman about that who said she was part Native American, and she said a spirit was trying to warn him of danger.

We had other things happen on that land and the trailer, and dad said he thought it was the spirit of Indians.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Piney
3 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

A few years ago I told a woman about that who said she was part Native American, and she said a spirit was trying to warn him of danger.

Uh-huh, because people think we somehow have a deeper spiritual connection. Which is a stereotype in itself. 

A true Spirit Worker would never induce fear. Your father probably had a auditory hallucination. "Rattling can" sounds are one of the many types. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

We had other things happen on that land and the trailer, and dad said he thought it was the spirit of Indians.

I believe in the connection between Native Americans and paranormally charged lands. Have you been following that new TV show on Skinwalker Ranch. Mysteries, mysteries the scientists can't get to the bottom of.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33
5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe in the connection between Native Americans and paranormally charged lands. Have you been following that new TV show on Skinwalker Ranch. Mysteries, mysteries the scientists can't get to the bottom of.

No, I haven't seen that.   I get Dish but not sure I can get that in my programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 minute ago, Dustyrose33 said:

No, I haven't seen that.   I get Dish but not sure I can get that in my programming.

It's on the History channel. A lot of good stuff on that channel!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33
9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It's on the History channel. A lot of good stuff on that channel!

Yes there is good stuff on there but I don't get it.   I think if I upgrade for a few dollars more a month I might.  Going to see about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
6 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Yes there is good stuff on there but I don't get it.   I think if I upgrade for a few dollars more a month I might.  Going to see about it.

Oh, it's a must for us paranormal gossip hound types!!!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Oh, it's a must for us paranormal gossip hound types!!!

(lol) Then I must see about it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Oh, it's a must for us paranormal gossip hound types!!!

Well I contacted Dish and got my programming changed to include the History channel, and it's actually going to cost me a few dollars less a month.   A guy is going to come out Monday to install the new programming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
15 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Well I contacted Dish and got my programming changed to include the History channel, and it's actually going to cost me a few dollars less a month.   A guy is going to come out Monday to install the new programming.

I’ve been trying to get it into their heads on here that it figuratively and even literally pays to listen to the Papa. Some others on here appear to be slow learners though, LOL.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe in the connection between Native Americans and paranormally charged lands.

:rolleyes:  Uh-huh....

Spend any time in any Indian communities? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
papageorge1
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

:rolleyes:  Uh-huh....

Spend any time in any Indian communities? 

No, but I get the History and Travel channels though and they do get into it with real Indians telling us things.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
32 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

No, but I get the History and Travel channels though and they do get into it with real Indians telling us things.

Which "real" Indians from the History Channel? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
Posted (edited)

 I dunno if I even believe in spirits roaming the earth....but I do know that I get strange feelings of not being alone in one particular small rocky canyon in the desert where we've been spending winters.   It's strange.  Every time we are there I feel we are not alone....that's all I can tell ya.

 

 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33
1 hour ago, lightly said:

 I dunno if I even believe in spirits roaming the earth....but I do know that I get strange feelings of not being alone in one particular small rocky canyon in the desert where we've been spending winters.   It's strange.  Every time we are there I feel we are not alone....that's all I can tell ya.

 

 

Then you are most likely not alone there.   That's the feeling we had in that place in Utopia, Tx.  Besides my dad hearing those rattling can sounds, we experienced other things like hearing footsteps, disembodied voices, dishes moved, and I once felt something firmly touch my foot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs

I know from all the time I've spent 'outback', including living on a farm with wide open spaces... even on still days you will commonly get small vortices of air (dust devils).  One of those plus an empty Coke can or two just out of sight, and voila..

And as Piney points out, beware of the fakers who will tell you they are speaking on behalf of the indigenous... it's a bit of a standing joke here in Oz to impress gullible tourists and visitors with made up tales of spirituality, which have no relationship at all with the 'real' stuff...

I'm reminded of that scene in Crocodile Dundee .. "oh no, you can't take my photograph.."... :

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/crocodile-dundee-you-cant-take-my-photograph

:D 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
31 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

And as Piney points out, beware of the fakers who will tell you they are speaking on behalf of the indigenous... it's a bit of a standing joke here in Oz to impress gullible tourists and visitors with made up tales of spirituality, which have no relationship at all with the 'real' stuff...

I'm friendly with a few of your indigenous. My grandfather was WCIP before it was dissolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Council_of_Indigenous_Peoples

His name was Carl "Wayandaga" Pierce and he was known in the Pacific as "Seeker of the Source" 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Mungus
14 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm friendly with a few of your indigenous. My grandfather was WCIP before it was dissolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Council_of_Indigenous_Peoples

His name was Carl "Wayandaga" Pierce and he was known in the Pacific as "Seeker of the Source" 

 

Interesting, in Australia there are plenty of indigenous (and non indigenous) people who are known as "seekers of the sauce"  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

Things like the sense of presence or cold spots can seem very supernatural yet have very down to earth natural explanations,

Sometimes when i hear of something like this, a story where someone thought they heard cans rattling, if it happens to me my mind doesnt jump to make believe like spookies i start wondering is it a creature or person and are they a danger to me, sometimes about 1/2 awake or asleep i will hear a loud scream, its very real to me, might jar me awake, but its not real, outside my mind.

A spookie if it did exist which you guys know i dont believe in why would it want to do random, pointless acts of nonsense, rattle cans, knock something off a shelf, why? If its to get attention then use that same effort to jot me down a note,  i know...it doesnt work that way.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dustyrose33

It was well after my dad passed that I mentioned the incident of the rattling cans to the woman who said a spirit was trying to warn him of danger, so I don't know, it was just her interpretation maybe.  I do know though that where he was at putting out corn it was at late dusk, very remote area, and he was alone.   The area was known to have big cats, some wild hogs and who knows what else.   I once had a woman tell me long ago that it was rare but black bear had been seen in those hills.  Could have been one of those type animals was near him and a spirit made a rattling can sound so he would leave the area.   Anything is possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc

all that quiet and wide open spaces can play on the mind.  if you heard tin cans in the city you wouldn't even notice.  i say its the wind, and something loose. we will not speculate on what's loose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
4 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

It was well after my dad passed that I mentioned the incident of the rattling cans to the woman who said a spirit was trying to warn him of danger, so I don't know, it was just her interpretation maybe.  I do know though that where he was at putting out corn it was at late dusk, very remote area, and he was alone.   The area was known to have big cats, some wild hogs and who knows what else.   I once had a woman tell me long ago that it was rare but black bear had been seen in those hills.  Could have been one of those type animals was near him and a spirit made a rattling can sound so he would leave the area.   Anything is possible.

Yes and no, or "know".

On 6/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, Dustyrose33 said:

just before dusk

 

4 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

it was at late dusk

Hum, see how memory and retelling can get messed up, we all do that, its human.

So it was "dusk" of some type, i dont care for dust even as a child my vision would get off my senses would get weird heightened yet dreamy, after it was dark it passed, if dad was a farmer out doing chores im guessing he had already had a long hard day, likely exhausted.

if a spirit if they existed in some kind of earthly autonomous form wanted to warn a living person of danger or frighten away a hazardous animal why make some questionable can rattle sound rather than just yell. Hey mac, a bears gonna get you, ? words or can sounds shouldnt make a difference to a spookie to create.

If it really happened, as i wasnt there, i am thinking he was tired and heard something that might have sounded to him at the time as cans rattling but was likely something prosaic,  or it was an auditory hallucination,

Nothing says paranormal to me in this case unless that is what a person wants it to be.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
micahc
6 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

It was well after my dad passed that I mentioned the incident of the rattling cans to the woman who said a spirit was trying to warn him of danger, so I don't know, it was just her interpretation maybe.  I do know though that where he was at putting out corn it was at late dusk, very remote area, and he was alone.   The area was known to have big cats, some wild hogs and who knows what else.   I once had a woman tell me long ago that it was rare but black bear had been seen in those hills.  Could have been one of those type animals was near him and a spirit made a rattling can sound so he would leave the area.   Anything is possible.

maybe it was just tin cans.  sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  why does a noise have to be a spirit?  if i heard a noise i would assume something in the physical world until there was proof otherwise.  who was this woman?  so spirits shake cans?  Bears don't need help.  But you did remind me of a trip to Glacier National Park. Hikers walk around with cowbells so they don't surprise a Grizzly. you do write in a flowery way.  you should consider writing books, and that was meant seriously.  I just think the spiritual nature of your story here, is more a wish than a fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Dustyrose33
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, micahc said:

maybe it was just tin cans.  sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  why does a noise have to be a spirit?  if i heard a noise i would assume something in the physical world until there was proof otherwise.  who was this woman?  so spirits shake cans?  Bears don't need help.  But you did remind me of a trip to Glacier National Park. Hikers walk around with cowbells so they don't surprise a Grizzly. you do write in a flowery way.  you should consider writing books, and that was meant seriously.  I just think the spiritual nature of your story here, is more a wish than a fact. 

Thanks for your insight and comment about writing.   When my dad first told me about what he'd heard I questioned it too.   I asked him if he thought a neighbor was running some machinery that made the noise, but he said no.   This place was very remote at that time, and that don't automatically mean ghosts are around.   In fact, he didn't even mention he thought it was a ghost, but just said he heard what sounded like tin cans being strung along pass right down in front of him.   It was that woman I mentioned who suggested about a spirit.  I thought about the possibility.

Unless you were there at that time and experienced what we did, I don't expect you to believe anything I said.   But I lived there and experienced things not of this world.

 

 

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.