Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Images of bizarre 'painted' fish go viral

UM-Bot

Mother Nature paints more beautifully than Salvador Dalí.

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 3

I you enjoy this, you should look underwater at a coral reef in the ultraviolet spectrum...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just watching a show talking about some weird versions of sea creatures popping up since the Japanese nuclear disaster dumped radioactive water into the sea. Some mutations can seem positive I guess. Not sure if that has anything to do with this particular fish of course.

Now that's one beautiful, fabulous fish!

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I was just watching a show talking about some weird versions of sea creatures popping up since the Japanese nuclear disaster dumped radioactive water into the sea. Some mutations can seem positive I guess. Not sure if that has anything to do with this particular fish of course.

What? No it doesn't. If you read the article it points out that this species of fish is called Thalassoma purpureum and just looks that way.

8 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Now that's one beautiful, fabulous fish!

What? No it doesn't. If you read the article it points out that this species of fish is called Thalassoma purpureum and just looks that way.

I understood that but I was suggesting that this particular one was vibrant beyond even that specie's norm. Just totally speculating. 

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I understood that but I was suggesting that this particular one was vibrant beyond even that specie's norm. Just totally speculating. 

Except no, google the species, there's a lot of pictures of them being vibrant like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen plenty of this fish during my time on islands, they're not easy to hook with lures on a line and rod but it's not unheard of, just rare that they gets reeled in.

I'm just curious if it's common there in Okinawa, not exactly a tropical reef environment. 

~