Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What sunsets would look like on other worlds

Still Waters

How would the Sun look as it dipped below the horizon on a long (17 hour) day on Uranus? Or what would a late-night sunset on Mars look like, when we finally get there? Thanks to some NASA computer modelling, these scenarios are now a little easier to imagine.

Planetary scientist Geronimo Villanueva, from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, has created simulations of how sunsets might look on Venus, Mars, Uranus, the Saturn moon Titan, and Trappist-1e.

The shows are quite spectacular, as you can see below, with scenes shown as if you were pointing a camera with a super-wide lens up at the sky.

https://www.sciencealert.com/these-nasa-simulations-show-what-sunsets-would-look-like-on-other-worlds

• Like 6

Uv84k1u.jpg

This is what Mars sunset actually looks like, (Spirit or Opportunity took this, when they were still kicking).

Same as Earth.

^_^

4 hours ago, tmcom said:

Same as Earth.

^_^

Same as Earth? You do know that the sky on Earth goes RED not blue during sunset don't you?

No you clearly didn't.

You are either so uniformed that you don't know what an Earth sunset looks like but you think people will believe your drivel when you claim to know what a sunset on Mars looks like. Or you are so dishonest that you will make false claims just to support your own, fantasies. 

Laughable, pathetic but laughable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tmcom said:

Uv84k1u.jpg

This is what Mars sunset actually looks like, (Spirit or Opportunity took this, when they were still kicking).

Same as Earth.

^_^

That's a lot different. Sky goes through various hues of red before night fall.

Sunset on earth.

Incidentally I have been unable to find that image anywhere. I am happy to be proven wrong, but that does not look like a genuine image. The stars and planets labelled in the image look wrong. I am fairly sure that is an image generated by a sky simulation programme rather than a genuine NASA image.

If you provided sources for your images it would give you a little more credibility. 

Here are some GENUINE NASA images of sunset on Mars.

PIA19400_hires.jpg

That was taken by Curiosity in 2015, source: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4581

PIA07997.jpg

That was taken by Spirit in 2005. Source: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/925/what-does-a-sunrise-sunset-look-like-on-mars/

PIA23202.jpg

That was taken by InSight in 2019, source as above.

Funny how the genuine NASA images don't look at all like Earth isn't it?

There are two possible reasons for this.

The first is that tmcom is right and every single astronomer, planetary scientist, meteorologist and every other scientist with relevant knowledge, training and understanding is either totally clueless, lying or both.

The second is that the experts know what they are talking about (that's what it means to be an expert) and tmcom is either clueless, lying or both.

If you apply Occam's razor I know which of those two scenarios is the most likely... by an enormous margin. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's a lot different. Sky goes through various hues of red before night fall.

Sunset on earth.

Sure it does, but this is an image, and ignoring the ignorant, this is also in Mars equatorial zones, or desert areas, similar to the Arizona desert, (which is probably more yellow than red at sunset).

I have been through about 600 Sols of Curiosity's images, and sunsets are always yellow/orange,

8 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

"I think a man could get used to that."

A man could also get used to sunsets like that with swaying, tall prickles, blue mountains and babbling streams, and ...never mind!

^_^

Edited by tmcom