Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Now that we have hard evidence of UFO's

I'mConvinced

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Oh you didn’t know? Only one side can be judged for opinions and assumptions. When they do it it’s perfectly reasonable. Heck might as well be fact. 

Can you point to where the 'other side' (whatever that is), is not judged on opinions and assumptions?

Science and the scientific method applies equally to everyone - if all you've got is a story, you got nuthin.  If only a few more folks learnt that people DO lie, make mistakes, exaggerate, misremember, or just downright troll, then the world would be a much better place (and someone we all know and love would not have been elected US pres).  I blame the schools - the current curriculum includes nowhere near enough of "how to think", systems analysis, or human psychology and perception. 

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Can you point to where the 'other side' (whatever that is), is not judged on opinions and assumptions?

Science and the scientific method applies equally to everyone - if all you've got is a story, you got nuthin.  If only a few more folks learnt that people DO lie, make mistakes, exaggerate, misremember, or just downright troll, then the world would be a much better place (and someone we all know and love would not have been elected US pres).  I blame the schools - the current curriculum includes nowhere near enough of "how to think", systems analysis, or human psychology and perception. 

He gave an example. 

I’m aware that people lie, make mistakes, exaggerate ect. I don’t fully believe in every ufo story I hear.
One story yes, generally speaking means very little. A compilation of stories on the other hand can give valuable information. When you search for similarities, patterns, ect, you can get some great info. And that would most certainly fall under scientific method. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

He gave an example. 

I’m aware that people lie, make mistakes, exaggerate ect. I don’t fully believe in every ufo story I hear.
One story yes, generally speaking means very little. A compilation of stories on the other hand can give valuable information. When you search for similarities, patterns, ect, you can get some great info. And that would most certainly fall under scientific method. 

Im sure you have heard of Carl Sagan. 

He wrote frequently on what he perceived as the logical and empirical fallacies regarding UFOs. Sagan rejected an extraterrestrial explanation for the phenomenon, but felt there were both empirical and pedagogical benefits for examining UFO reports and that the subject was, therefore, a legitimate topic of study, I agree with that. 

Also, like Sagan said, extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence. 

To this date, all we have when it comes to applying the scientific method to UFOs is observation. There is very little we can do with that beyond speculate...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

Im sure you have heard of Carl Sagan. 

He wrote frequently on what he perceived as the logical and empirical fallacies regarding UFOs. Sagan rejected an extraterrestrial explanation for the phenomenon, but felt there were both empirical and pedagogical benefits for examining UFO reports and that the subject was, therefore, a legitimate topic of study, I agree with that. 

Also, like Sagan said, extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence. 

To this date, all we have when it comes to applying the scientific method to UFOs is observation. There is very little we can do with that beyond speculate...

I can’t accept or reject the idea of UFO’s being extraterrestrial. As most here know I had what I consider a pretty major sighting. Most people would say what I saw wasn’t possible.

So to me and I mean no disrespect towards you saying this, but I don’t really care what anyone has to say about it. Not even Carl Sagan. 

If you believe like I do that it’s most likely man has yet to create a craft able to do things I saw this craft do, than it isn’t as easy to dismiss all kinds of possibilities. Including extraterrestrial. 

Though I do confess, that’s a hard pill for me to swallow. My first probably foolish idea is that it was man made, but that brings us into some pretty heavy conspiracy about mans capabilities thus far. It’s my best guess though. 

My second thought is extra dimensional. Other than my experience with astral projection I have little to back that up though. 

Extraterrestrial would be my last guess. And I’d have no idea how they could cover the amount of distance they would have to to get here. 

My honorable mention idea would be some type of advanced life that came from the oceans. 

I must say I’m thankful to have witnessed such a thing that forces me to think outside the box, cause nothing inside it can explain it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I must say I’m thankful to have witnessed such a thing that forces me to think outside the box, cause nothing inside it can explain it 

Im sorry if you have told this story before, but what exacly did you see?

16 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

you must  live in a very small box

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

I gotta catch a nap. Long day. I’ll tell about it soon as I can. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hazzard said:

yep.. & fantasize of course. But who's to say one can't fantasize?

People can fantasize all they want.. Who am I to say they can't!? Just don't try & tell me the fantasies are real without proof!!

That for me is when it becomes boring & pathetic...

I'm doing nothing more than saying it as I see it;)

As I've stated before, and I think many will verify if they are honest, I've had a few vivid/lucid dreams where the experience was effectively 100% real.  One in particular was so real that it took me about a half hour after awakening to be reasonably sure that the dream wasn't reality.  When you add that to the brain's innately malleable memory storage and perception processes... your head ain't a camera and hard drive - it can and does amend/exaggerate memories and shuffle them in time sequence, change dreams into realities, etc..  You need to realise that you can not trust your own or anyone else's memories as being anything other than just that.  Memories are not reality and vice versa, but some of us think we are too special to have such limitations.

And surely many of us have grandparents or other family/friends, who tell tall tales with the utmost sincerity and apparent self-belief, but that we know are not true.  Yes, to those folks their memories are unquestionable exact representations of reality - they have never really considered how their own minds work .. and don't want to.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

As I've stated before, and I think many will verify if they are honest, I've had a few vivid/lucid dreams where the experience was effectively 100% real.  One in particular was so real that it took me about a half hour after awakening to be reasonably sure that the dream wasn't reality.  When you add that to the brain's innately malleable memory storage and perception processes... your head ain't a camera and hard drive - it can and does amend/exaggerate memories and shuffle them in time sequence, change dreams into realities, etc..  You need to realise that you can not trust your own or anyone else's memories as being anything other than just that.  Memories are not reality and vice versa, but some of us think we are too special to have such limitations.

And surely many of us have grandparents or other family/friends, who tell tall tales with the utmost sincerity and apparent self-belief, but that we know are not true.  Yes, to those folks their memories are unquestionable exact representations of reality - they have never really considered how their own minds work .. and don't want to.

yep- 1966 I was 8 years old.... We see a cigar-shaped object in the sky (mum dad & others)

I remember it..... My dad (he's 89 now) loves this subject... As the years have passed he's added things when telling the story to others!

First it was the cigar-shaped object, then suddenly years later little white lights circled it, then it was different bright colours & now he insists it shot off leaving a trail behind it!? No it did not!!! Nothing like that happened=== I WAS THERE- I SEE IT AS WELL!

Stories- great aint theyB)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hazzard said:

Ok I’ll give ya the short version. 

It’s the summer of 94. Me and my cousin were walking home at around 12:30 am. As we turn the last corner to my house I see my neighbor and his son standing in the road looking up in the sky. 

So I’m all like ‘what the hell are they doing’. I look up and I’ll be damned there is a small, could probably hold 4 to 5 people, flying saucer. It had different color lights around the edges, and was completely silent. 

We watched this craft for about a half hour. It was hovering and moving around like a bumble bee. At one point it even seemed to notice us, and descended towards us. Came so close I’m pretty sure I could have hit it with a stone. I remember getting really nervous at this point and I nearly ran away. 

Then it seemed to lose interest in us, and slowly drifted off towards the Hudson River. 

I was profoundly effected by this sighting starting right then, and have told the story to almost everyone I knew, and have told the story in the same exact detail every time. 

This wasn’t a dream or a false memory. I’d bet my first born sons life on it. 

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

yep- 1966 I was 8 years old.... We see a cigar-shaped object in the sky (mum dad & others)

I remember it..... My dad (he's 89 now) loves this subject... As the years have passed he's added things when telling the story to others!

First it was the cigar-shaped object, then suddenly years later little white lights circled it, then it was different bright colours & now he insists it shot off leaving a trail behind it!? No it did not!!! Nothing like that happened=== I WAS THERE- I SEE IT AS WELL!

Stories- great aint theyB)

How do you know you can trust your memory?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

How do you know you can trust your memory?

hmmm, good question= i'll ask my dad that very same question

i know what i saw- i saw nothing weird & wonderful 

Edited by Dejarma

Maybe you just dreamed you saw nothing “weird & wonderful? 

• Like 1

Just now, preacherman76 said:

Maybe you just dreamed you saw nothing “weird & wonderful? 

what?

I’d say seeing a cigar shaped craft is at least weird. 

• Like 1

I’d say seeing a cigar shaped craft is at least weird. 

no, it turned out to be a weather balloon= fact

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

what?

lol I um, never mind 

• Like 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

no, it turned out to be a weather balloon= fact

How do you know that, and why doesn’t your grandfather?

• Like 1

lol I um, never mind 

yeah sure i agree== OR do you have anything interesting to say? come on, impress me- say something interesting:tsu:

12 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

grandfather? can you read?

My bad, I’m multitasking 

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

Same question though 

were you multitasking when you had your encounter/ experience?