Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

$2300.00 U.S Dollars to live.

Hankenhunter

First paragraph:

"The maker of a drug shown to shorten recovery time for severely ill COVID-19 patients says it will charge US$2,340 for a typical treatment course for people covered by government health programs in the United States and other developed countries. "

As in, Medicare, Medicaid and so on.  I guess I'd rather at least have an option than to condemn those who work to provide it.  I'll never understand people who think that the labor and investment of others should come free to THEM.

• Like 1

It’s no different to scalping tickets at a concert. It’s legal but is it ethical under the current situation? Not really. The government should pay for the majority of the cost. And if it’s not then vote the current government out and vote in someone that will. Welcome to capitalism. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, and then said:

First paragraph:

"The maker of a drug shown to shorten recovery time for severely ill COVID-19 patients says it will charge US$2,340 for a typical treatment course for people covered by government health programs in the United States and other developed countries. "

As in, Medicare, Medicaid and so on.  I guess I'd rather at least have an option than to condemn those who work to provide it.  I'll never understand people who think that the labor and investment of others should come free to THEM.

Obviously you didn't read the part about the American taxpayers funding the drug research?

Heres the part you apparently missed.

However, the price was swiftly criticized; a consumer group called it "an outrage" because of the amount taxpayers invested toward the drug's development.

So, who's getting the free ride again?

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

It’s no different to scalping tickets at a concert. It’s legal but is it ethical under the current situation? Not really. The government should pay for the majority of the cost. And if it’s not then vote the current government out and vote in someone that will. Welcome to capitalism. 

Well, that's what's happening - that's what the company is charging governments for providing the drug to people on government health programs. The patients would only pay what's required under whatever program they're on.

Of course, something else to consider is that the company can ask what it likes - that's where negotiations with governments start. I'd suggest that countries with health systems like the NHS in the UK or Medicare in Australia should be able to negotiate a bulk purchase discount.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Obviously you didn't read the part about the American taxpayers funding the drug research?

Heres the part you apparently missed.

However, the price was swiftly criticized; a consumer group called it "an outrage" because of the amount taxpayers invested toward the drug's development.

So, who's getting the free ride again?

American taxpayers are accustomed to that. Everyone expects us to fund them and a lot of times we do. However, Medicare, Medicaid and the health insurance companies will negotiate what they will pay and the cost passed to us will be low. In fact, there are several vaccines who's research is being funded by the US and Britain. Within both countries. I saw this on the news tonight.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congress is not amused. Stop funding them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/29/gilead-sciences-remdesivir-cost-coronavirus/

Remdesivir must be administered intravenously, which has limited its use to hospitalized patients with significant covid-19 progression. The company is testing an inhaled form, which would allow patients to use it at home, earlier in the disease, when it might have a greater benefit.

Meanwhile, an inexpensive steroid has been shown to have a greater benefit on the death rate for patients in hospitals. The 60-year-old drug, dexamethasone, reduced the risk of death for patients on ventilators by a third and cut the risk of death for patients on oxygen by a fifth, according to a study published in the Lancet on June 16.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

$2300.00 U.S Dollars to live.

Gilead's US$2,340 price for coronavirus drug draws criticism

I was horrified when I saw this yesterday.

I can't see a better argument for Universal Healthcare as a human right, than the extortionate costs of drugs and treatment in the USA.

(but I'm British, so what do I know...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

I was horrified when I saw this yesterday.

I can't see a better argument for Universal Healthcare as a human right, than the extortionate costs of drugs and treatment in the USA.

(but I'm British, so what do I know...)

I see the exact opposite. Its the socialized part of our medical system that they want to way over charge. In fact its mediaid/medicare that is largely responsible for our outrageous prices right now across the board.      

• Like 1

I'd almost be for not allowing patents on medical drugs or vaccines.