Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery as massive star simply disappears

UM-Bot

Oh, just this kind of thing happened in a book I read. An alien race constructed a giant force field around it. That may have been what happened here. :yes:

Edited by Montmorency the Dog

8 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

So question with a situation like this a star that huge is it that one only missing or all the stars in that galaxy?

Even if you haven't bothered to read the article, the title is perfectly clear, "Mystery as massive star simply disappears". It says star, singular. Why would that possibly mean "all the stars in that galaxy"?

If you local news paper says, "massive cat missing" do you think, "I wonder if all the cats neighbourhood are missing" or just the one that they bothered to mention in the headline?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, seanjo said:

Wait til it's dark and cloudless, look up...

If you can see a dwarf galaxy 75 million light years away with the naked eye then you have super powers.

• Haha 1

I'd be more apt to believe it had lost luminosity, after all it was 2.5 million times brighter than the sun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

I'd be more apt to believe it had lost luminosity, after all it was 2.5 million times brighter than the sun. 

It would still be a previously unknown phenomenon for a massive star to lose it's luminosity. It would probably, also, defy the laws of physics. 

A sudden loss of luminosity would imply that the nuclear reactions which make a star glow had stopped. However if the nuclear reactions at the core of a massive star stop internal pressure drops, gravity wins and the core collapses. This leads to a supernova... and it is the very lack of a supernova that is the mystery to start with.

• Like 2

Stars don't just 'dissappear' so maybe it is being obstructed by another body? Isn't there a thing called 'lensing' or something when an object warps the light from another body?

Perhaps this star is being affected, on random intervals by a black hole or something..that is where science should come it.

2 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It would still be a previously unknown phenomenon for a massive star to lose it's luminosity. It would probably, also, defy the laws of physics. 

A sudden loss of luminosity would imply that the nuclear reactions which make a star glow had stopped. However if the nuclear reactions at the core of a massive star stop internal pressure drops, gravity wins and the core collapses. This leads to a supernova... and it is the very lack of a supernova that is the mystery to start with.

I was just agreeing with the article: 

The older observations seem to indicate that the star was experiencing giant eruptions, in which material is lost from the star. These are thought to have stopped sometime after 2011.

Luminous blue variable stars such as this one are prone to such outbursts over the course of their life. They cause the star to lose mass and lead to a dramatic peak in brightness.

The aliens just finished up their Dyson Sphere? It could happen. .00000000001% says it's possible.:alien::P

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Stars don't just 'dissappear' so maybe it is being obstructed by another body? Isn't there a thing called 'lensing' or something when an object warps the light from another body?

Perhaps this star is being affected, on random intervals by a black hole or something..that is where science should come it.

Science, smience. It was aliens I tell you. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

I'm thinking the same thing it could be hidden behind something maybe far closer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

So what is your opinion concerning this situation, that it was swallowed by a Black Hole without the traditional super Nova that should accompany the event? Or that the Stars  brightness is being obscured by dust like one of the Astronomers proposed. In my opinion and please don't laugh, if neither one of the events above explains it, I think that another celestial body may be blocking our view like what we call an eclipse here in our Solar System. Now, I understand if this is the case the object would have to be tremendously hugh, and with that in mind, there is no telling how long it could obscure our view of that star, but if this true at some point that Star will be clearly visible again at some point in the future.

Peace 

• Like 2

What we know is a drop...

What we assume to know is a bucket.

What we're ignorant of... is an ocean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s referred to as an “unnova”. A rapid conversion of a super-Hyper massive star, that avoids the nova expansion part and goes directly into a collapsed core and black hole, absorbing all (surrounding) light in the process. 

• Like 1