Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World UFO Day 2020: the phenomenon lives on

I didn't find it in the story, but July 2, is World UFO day.  Happy day!

We have hundreds and hundreds of people that have seen the same thing - something in the sky.

This is in no way indicative of seeing the 'same thing'. People have been seeing unexplainable stuff in the skies (and seas, and forests, and deserts, and in our own homes...) for our whole history. There are many plausible explanations, and even more implausible ones. 

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

I've felt the wave mount higher and higher in my lifetime! I'm a believer!

The UFO phenomenon, like Nessie, ghosts, ESP, Bigfoot etc etc, will always be with us, not because of the credible evidence but because of the "what if"... People want to believe, and some more than others.

The wave of government officials, astronauts and media starting to hint that UFO's are real. Is just telegraphing what they already know. Alien UFOs are real. Unless the aliens on this planet still haven't been found, in which case the UFO's are terrestrial. 

15 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The wave of government officials, astronauts and media starting to hint that UFO's are real. Is just telegraphing what they already know. Alien UFOs are real. Unless the aliens on this planet still haven't been found, in which case the UFO's are terrestrial. 

Of course UFOs are real, no one is denying that.

But it takes a whole lot of wishful thinking, reading between the lines and cherry picking to claim that some of the UFOs are ET in origin. It is clear that ufology is set to continue for an indefinite period, not because of any scientific interest or new evidence but because it has become firmly established as a form of popular entertainment, some people simply need to believe.

Any sensible person who reads the UFO literature or who follows UFO discussions on the Internet will be aware that very few ufologists, believers, have a sane, scientific, objective, approach to the subject. Some of them apparently believe that UFOs=Aliens and alien abduction stories should be taken literally, and they invent absurd hypotheses to get around the various absurdities which such a belief implies.

Others consider themselves very scientific, they express skepticism about abduction accounts, cow mutilations and crop circles, but say that some UFO reports can be explained only as visits by alien spacecraft.(!?) 

However, they are extremely reluctant to have their favorite cases subjected to critical examination. Awkward questions about discrepancies and implausibilitys in the reports are definitely not welcome. To me the reason for this is obvious.

They want their beloved fantasy intact.

Bottom line...

Most unidentified flying objects are eventually identified as hoaxes or astronomical events, aircraft, satellites, weather balloons, or other natural phenomena.

Some are not resolved because of inconclusive evidence.

None have ever been resolved by putting forth overwhelming evidence that aliens have either flown by or landed on our planet

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Most unidentified flying objects are eventually identified as hoaxes or astronomical events, aircraft, satellites, weather balloons, or other natural phenomena.

True, although the old weather balloon explanation is BS in vast majority of cases. 

Some are not resolved because of inconclusive evidence

Majoirty of these fall into this category. 

None have ever been resolved by putting forth overwhelming evidence that aliens have either flown by or landed on our planet

Well, most want the landing on the White House lawn scenario as proof but regardless, there is proof. And if it's not alien aircraft then the US, Russia and China are not the superpowers on Earth. Some other Earth based humans must be the superpower, unless it's the dolphins but you can never trust a weasel. So maybe it's the weasels who have a better grasp of physics than all those university boffins. 

23 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The wave of government officials, astronauts and media starting to hint that UFO's are real. Is just telegraphing what they already know. Alien UFOs are real.

Maybe it is a need for faith.  Not enough believers that God will appear and save us, next best thing is UFO's .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe it is a need for faith.  Not enough believers that God will appear and save us, next best thing is UFO's .

But most films, people and culture either depict or think that UFO's are alien based and that those aliens are hostile. I'm not sure they think they will save us. Then there are certain religions that face death as a path to better living, so they are not about being saved and yet they still report UFO's. 

World UFO Day 2020: the phenomenon lives on

yep, it certainly does. Thanks to books/ films/ TV shows/ Documentaries etc etc= all of which tell nothing more than stories

33 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

But most films, people and culture either depict or think that UFO's are alien based and that those aliens are hostile. I'm not sure they think they will save us. Then there are certain religions that face death as a path to better living, so they are not about being saved and yet they still report UFO's. 

Isn't the aliens being hostile mindset a modern view?  In the past weren't they depicted as teachers?

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Isn't the aliens being hostile mindset a modern view?  In the past weren't they depicted as teachers?

On the whole, yes I agree. 

I'm wondering will this phenomenon ever shatter. Or i in 3020 we'll have the same discussions.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:56 AM, Hazzard said:

But it takes a whole lot of wishful thinking, reading between the lines and cherry picking to claim that some of the UFOs are ET in origin. It is clear that ufology is set to continue for an indefinite period, not because of any scientific interest or new evidence but because it has become firmly established as a form of popular entertainment, some people simply need to believe.

There's one thing about being human on planet earth is there are a plethora of things to choose from when you wish for a savior or try to make your fears manifest.

21 hours ago, TrumanB said:

I'm wondering will this phenomenon ever shatter. Or i in 3020 we'll have the same discussions.

As science and knowledge about the world and universe we live in increase, the realm of paranormal is getting pushed further and further away. This is one of the reasons we dont believe in Trolls and Witches anymore.

But there was a time when we were so sure that this was real that we executed hundreds of thousands of people world wide for being witches... Imagine that level of crazyness.

This is why science and its method is the best way to go when it comes to investigating the world around us. 

Bottom line... It doesnt matter if the whole world believe in ET visitation, if its not real. 

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

Yes, I was just wondering will they believe in it in 1000 years...if we survive.

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Yes, I was just wondering will they believe in it in 1000 years...if we survive.

It blows me away that people in this day and age still believe in, and pray to, their personal and all powerful creator... so it wouldnt surprise me at all.

Edited by Hazzard

25 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

It blows me away that people in this day and age still believe in, and pray to, their personal and all powerful creator... so it wouldnt surprise me at all.

Science didn't prove that there is no creation behind. But anyway, that's for an another topic.

17 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

Science didn't prove that there is no creation behind. But anyway, that's for an another topic.

I know that, proving something like that would be impossible. I was talking about people and their need to believe. 

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1