Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New way of counting "dog years" found

Eldorado

""In terms of how physiologically mature a 1-year-old dog is, a 9-month-old dog can have puppies.

"Right away, you know that if you do the math, you don't just times seven," says senior author Trey Ideker (@TreyIdeker) of the University of California, San Diego.

""What's surprising is exactly how old that one-year-old dog is -- it's like a 30-year old human."

"Human and dog DNA, which codes who we are, doesn't change much throughout the course of life, but chemical marks on the DNA, called methylation marks, do."

Full report at Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200702113649.htm

• Thanks 2

No, 30 for a 1 year old dog is not right.   Why does he think human women can't have babies before 30?

I was taught a 1 year old dog is the equivalent biologically to a 12 year old human.  Some human girls have had babies at the age of 12.  9 months is rare but it does happen that a female puppy will come in heat that young.  After one year then they age about 7 human years every year, though depending on the breed that may not be accurate either.  A small dog usually lives longer than a large dog.

I don't think there is any real way to actually compare dog years to human years.

This should be called "A  new way to anthropomorphize your dog"

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

The research is interesting, but depressing at the same time. Whatever the right formula is, I think we can all agree that our pets' lives are far too short.

• Like 3

We think of the average human lifespan as 84 and compare that to a dog's average lifespan which is 12.  Multiply 12 year by 7 and you get 84 so we assume that 1 year for us is 7 years for a dog, but what if we rewind the clock a few millennia.  Noah apparently lived to be 950 years old and a few milleniums later Moses lived to be 120 which might have been considered middle aged back then.  Maybe 1 year for a dog is around 30 years for a human assuming that humans are supposed to live much longer than they do nowadays.  Just a thought.

Edited by TigerBright19

Just now, TigerBright19 said:

We think of the average human lifespan as 80 and compare that to a dog's lifespan, but what if we rewind the clock a few millennia.  Noah apparently lived to be 950 years old and a few milleniums later Moses lived to be 120 which might have been considered middle aged back then.  Maybe 1 year for a dog is around 30 years for a human assuming that humans are supposed to live much longer than they do nowadays.  Just a thought.

Do you think people anthropomorphized dogs in Noah's time or even Moses' (when ever either of those times were if those men existed)?  I think anthropomorphizing pets is a fairly new thing (no more than a couple hundred years at most).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you think people anthropomorphized dogs in Noah's time or even Moses' (when ever either of those times were if those men existed)?  I think anthropomorphizing pets is a fairly new thing (no more than a couple hundred years at most).

Are you referring to anthropomorphism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Are you referring to anthropomorphism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Yes, attributing human emotions, motives, etc. to animals is anthropomorphism of  the animals.

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, attributing human emotions, motives, etc. to animals is anthropomorphism of  the animals.

I believe elephants express many emotions that could be considered human in nature simply by comparison, but most domestic animals that I know show compassion and care for humans in the same way that a dog protects her pups and a male fights off other males to win his mate.  Other than that, they say that pets begin to look like their owners and adopt their personality, but I think their pet is just growing accustomed to their owner's daily habits and responding in a way that is familiar amongst humans.  More than likely it is the human that is growing accustomed to their pet, or possibly they both reach a common ground and mutual respect for each other.

Edited by TigerBright19

I believe elephants express many emotions that could be considered human in nature simply by comparison, but most animals that I know show compassion and care for humans in the same sense that a dog protects her pups and a male fights off other males to win his mate.  Other than that, they say that pets begin to look like their owners and adopt their personality, but I think their pet is just growing accustomed to their owner's daily habits and responding in a way that is familiar amongst humans.  More than likely it is the human that is growing accustomed to their pet, or possibly they both reach a common ground and mutual respect for each other.

Animals do express emotion, but that does not mean they think like humans.

Edited by Desertrat56

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Animals do express emotion, but that does not mean they think like humans.

I don't believe they think like humans, but they show similar traits as humans e.g. protection of their young.  Females attracting males with their mating call, scent, and showing bright colours.  Males fighting each other to win their mate.  Mourning and crying over their dead siblings.  Smiling and crying with joy at seeing their owner.  One could say their behaviour is 'almost human' but naturally not the same.

1 hour ago, TigerBright19 said:

Noah apparently lived to be 950 years old and a few milleniums later Moses lived to be 120 which might have been considered middle aged back then.  Maybe 1 year for a dog is around 30 years for a human assuming that humans are supposed to live much longer than they do nowadays.  Just a thought.

Neither of them existed. One was borrowed and renamed from Babylonian legend the other created during the Ptolemaic rule of Palestine.

At the purported dates they both lived your average person lived to be 35-40 and that was worldwide. 

Edited by Piney
Jarocal beats his rocks

I think it's kind of apples and oranges. species age as they age, and comparing them doesn't really work.  Sometimes I think we live too long, but I know dogs die too soon.  

• Like 1