Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Russians grant Putin right to extend his rule

Eldorado

"Russians opened the door to Vladimir Putin staying in power until 2036 by voting overwhelmingly for constitutional changes that will allow him to run again for president twice, but critics said the outcome was falsified on an industrial scale."

--

"The Central Election Commission said 77.9% of votes counted across the world’s largest country had supported changing the constitution. Just over 21.2% had voted against, it said.

"Ella Pamfilova, head of the commission, said the vote had been transparent and that officials had done everything to ensure its integrity."

Full report at Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-putin-vote-idUSKBN24254A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

stevewinn

Russia going backwards once more. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TigerBright19

Every time I think of Putin I think of him singing 'Blueberry Hill'

• Haha 4

micahc

How does the change impact Putin's Presidency over the United States?  

• Haha 2

micahc
57 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Every time I think of Putin I think of him singing 'Blueberry Hill'

they say if Castro had been signed by the Yankees, he would never have become a dictator. Hey Nashville, can you invite Putin to the Grand Ole Opera.  The crowd will love him, or at least the better.

spartan max2
Posted (edited)

77.9 percent voted yes?

Surrrre they did lol :innocent:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Kittens Are Jerks
34 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

77.9 percent voted yes?

Yeah exactly. I read a NYT report earlier that quoted someone as describing the whole thing as well played theatre. An elaborate spectacle of public affirmation was vital to Putin's legitimacy and no doubt the conniving little creep did everything to ensure that he got it.

• Like 1

quiXilver

In any election, all that truly matters... is who counts the votes.

• Like 2

thedutchiedutch

Headline should read "Putin Russians grant Putin right to extend his rule" :yes:

• Like 3

Orphalesion
Posted (edited)

I'm still of the opinion that Russia today is a far worse place than the Soviet Union was at any point after Stalin's death (because yeah, Satlinism was far worse). Inside the modern Russian Federationthe mob, the oligarchs and the Russian church were the only ones who really profited from the abrupt fall of communism, and all three of them were very quick to put their on strangleholds on that country.   

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

The Truman show
9 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yeah exactly. I read a NYT report earlier that quoted someone as describing the whole thing as well played theatre. An elaborate spectacle of public affirmation was vital to Putin's legitimacy and no doubt the conniving little creep did everything to ensure that he got it.

But can you blame them? After Russian's flirtation with democracy, and losing its empire why would the Russian powers that be go any other way than this pantomime.

• Like 1

Setton
11 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

77.9 percent voted yes?

Options on the ballot paper:

• Yes
  • I never liked my family much anyway
  • Haha 5

Cookie Monster
14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Russians opened the door to Vladimir Putin staying in power until 2036 by voting overwhelmingly for constitutional changes that will allow him to run again for president twice, but critics said the outcome was falsified on an industrial scale."

--

"The Central Election Commission said 77.9% of votes counted across the world’s largest country had supported changing the constitution. Just over 21.2% had voted against, it said.

"Ella Pamfilova, head of the commission, said the vote had been transparent and that officials had done everything to ensure its integrity."

Full report at Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-putin-vote-idUSKBN24254A

He still has to win elections every 6 years.

This stops him having to be Prime Minster, then president, then Prime Minster, then President, etc. Trump needs to get the US version changed too. There should be no limit on the number of terms or consecutive terms.

RoofGardener
20 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

This stops him having to be Prime Minster, then president, then Prime Minster, then President, etc. Trump needs to get the US version changed too. There should be no limit on the number of terms or consecutive terms.

Hmmm.... in the US, I presume its only the position of President that has term limits ? You can be a Representative or a Senator for as long as the public is willing to keep voting for you ? 

Setton
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

"Win"

Edit:

Also "elections"

Edited by Setton