Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facial Recognition software misidentifies 96%

Eldorado

"In a public meeting Monday, Detroit Police Chief James Craig admitted that the technology, developed by a company called DataWorks Plus, almost never brings back a direct match and almost always misidentifies people.

"“If we would use the software only [to identify subjects], we would not solve the case 95-97 percent of the time,” Craig said.

"“That’s if we relied totally on the software, which would be against our current policy … If we were just to use the technology by itself, to identify someone, I would say 96 percent of the time it would misidentify.""

Full monty at Vice magazine: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dyzykz/detroit-police-chief-facial-recognition-software-misidentifies-96-of-the-time

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"In a public meeting Monday, Detroit Police Chief James Craig admitted that the technology, developed by a company called DataWorks Plus, almost never brings back a direct match and almost always misidentifies people.

"“If we would use the software only [to identify subjects], we would not solve the case 95-97 percent of the time,” Craig said.

"“That’s if we relied totally on the software, which would be against our current policy … If we were just to use the technology by itself, to identify someone, I would say 96 percent of the time it would misidentify.""

Full monty at Vice magazine: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dyzykz/detroit-police-chief-facial-recognition-software-misidentifies-96-of-the-time

Maybe true, but bundled with other resources, it is still good.  

I bought 4 tablets that have facial recognition and a temperature reader for the plant I buy for.   Works well about 95% of the time.   Of course you have to stand still in front of it, so not a great comparison.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yea, it helps if you don't wear a mask,   or they were sold the worst  FR software, even FB ids more than half, but then Myles is correct, it doesn't work well when you do not stare straight into it,  just like a dash cam,  a license plate is almost unreadable in 95% cases at speed,, even with best camera,  yet  while standing still, you can see even scratches on the license plate

Edited by aztek