Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC to pay out millions

itsnotoutthere

The BBC has set aside up to £12m to pay off the past tax liabilities of BBC presenters being pursued by HMRC for tax avoidance using personal service companies, the latest BBC annual report has revealed.

However, the National Audit Office (NAO) has questioned whether the payments are a legitimate use of BBC funds, and has issued a qualified opinion of the BBC accounts as a result.

The NAO highlights the difficulties that the BBC and other organisations have got into when seeking to avoid tax, and the thorny issue of who pays when tax avoidance schemes go wrong.

The BBC started to employ presenters via personal service companies from the late 1990s. A personal service company is a company that is set up to manage the affairs of an employee. Instead of contracting with the employee directly, the BBC contracted with their company.

This benefited the BBC because it would mean that the employee would be responsible for their tax affairs, and the corporation would no longer need to operate PAYE or pay employers national insurance. 

https://www.taxwatchuk.org/bbc-tax_avoidance/

That’s 76,190 households’ licence fees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The thing is falling apart. Massive changes on the way for the Beeb. Many will jump ship. 

• Like 3

I never watch bbc anyway,so what i did was unscrewed the Ariel part that goes into the telly,and stopped paying the licence.

When the licence guy turned up ,i invited him in and showed him how i didn't have bbc or bbc i player.

You can still get you tube,netflix etc through your PlayStation etc.

He just said ok your not watching bbc coz your ariel is broke,you don't have to pay,see you in six months.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

The thing is falling apart. Massive changes on the way for the Beeb. Many will jump ship. 

No need for a licence in this day and age.subscribe like every body else.

I don't miss it.

And what's going on with match of the day and football focus.20 minutes of having to sit through sjw matter every week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Read a good analogy the other day about the t.v. tax.

"Each week you read a number of publications: Whats on T.V. , Autosport, Cosmopolitan etc. At the end of the week you receive a bill from your newsagent on which you notice an item you did not order and which you do not read: The Guardian. Puzzled, you seek out your newsagent to ask why you have been charged for a newspaper you do not read.

"I don't want the Guardian, thanks" you tell him

"Right, so do you still want to receive the others"

"Yes, of course" What the hell is he talking about you wonder I didn't mention anything about cancelling the others.

"Ah, but if you don't order the Guardian, you can't read any of the other publications"

"But I don't read the Guardian. I don't bloody want it"

"No Guardian, no other papers or magazines, sorry"

And to add insult to injury just imagine the weekly cheque you're about to write to the newsagents goes not to your preferred reading choices who must survive on advertising alone, but straight into the pockets of the Guardian....you would probably be pretty annoyed. Why should you HAVE to subscribe to a left wing newspaper you don't want in order to read the magazines you do want to read...outrageous right?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2020 at 10:34 PM, diddyman68 said:

No need for a licence in this day and age.subscribe like every body else.

I don't miss it.

And what's going on with match of the day and football focus.20 minutes of having to sit through sjw matter every week.

That's 95% of BBC output these days.

• Like 1