Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drunk people are unable to socially distance

Eldorado

"It is "crystal clear" that drunk people are unable to socially distance, the chair of the Police Federation said as pubs reopened on Saturday.

"Ministers had urged caution ahead of hospitality venues reopening in England after three months of lockdown.

"John Apter dealt with "naked men, happy drunks, angry drunks, fights and more angry drunks" on shift in Southampton."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Where's the drunk women at? 

~

• Haha 9

If the 'R' value is between 0.7 and 0.9, as Boris said, then opening pubs and restaurants can only tip it over 1.

It's not rocket surgery.

• Like 2

Ha! Well, there's a shocker.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Publicans can refuse to serve folks who are showing signs of poor behavior. Given all the other measures they have taken to open up I am surprised there has not been reports of some publicans refusing to serve drink.

Or is it just not being reported? 

One of my local pubs was open to the regulars throughout the lockdown!  They blocked the windows off and closed the bar at the front.

But you could hear them laughing around the back as you walked past.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, acute said:

One of my local pubs was open to the regulars throughout the lockdown!  They blocked the windows off and closed the bar at the front.

But you could hear them laughing around the back as you walked past.

In 1920s USA, we called those A "SPEAK EASY"

• Haha 5

Meanwhile we are still waiting for gyms and leisure centres to re-open.  We can now see for ourselves that the government prioritizes alcohol consumption above health and fitness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bu . .Buhloney!!!   . .  .c'mun  *BURP* !  . . Gimmee ahh liddle schchmoooooosh !!   :wacko:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And in tomorrow's startling news, they discover that drunk people can't walk a tightrope over over the Grand Canyon whilst juggling 5 chainsaws ....

Edited by Essan
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Publicans can refuse to serve folks who are showing signs of poor behavior. Given all the other measures they have taken to open up I am surprised there has not been reports of some publicans refusing to serve drink.

Or is it just not being reported? 

It;s actually illegal in the UK to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk .....  (however, in this context, there is no legal definition of being drunk)

1 minute ago, Essan said:

It;s actually illegal in the UK to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk .....  (however, in this context, there is no legal definition of being drunk)

I think it is down to the publicans discretion. I have seen folks refused drink and told to go home, although admittedly not often.  

3 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think it is down to the publicans discretion. I have seen folks refused drink and told to go home, although admittedly not often.  

No, it's actually set in law.  

https://www.hospitalitylaw.co.uk/keep-licence-staff-safe-intoxicated-customers/#:~:text=S.,a person who is drunk.&text=It is also an offence,a person who is drunk.

Edit: a landlord can refuse to serve anyone, subject to discrimination laws. 

(I used to be a publican)

Edited by Essan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I play a very good drunk. I tried it out one day, in one of my regular haunts.

I walked up to the bar and asked for a drink, in a drunken-Stan-Laurel style.  Emma (good as gold) said "I think you've had too much", then I magically sobered up!

She thought it was hilarious, and told me to get myself on the TV.   I said: "Doing what?"  :lol:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, acute said:

She thought it was hilarious, and told me to get myself on the TV.   I said: "Doing what?"  :lol:

"where everybody knows your name.. "

[00.02:32]

~

• Like 2

Hahaha..... as a Western European I remember celebrating summer holidays in Southern Europe and it didn't matter were you went, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France ... you could always pick out the English by their drinking habits lol  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

Meanwhile we are still waiting for gyms and leisure centres to re-open.  We can now see for ourselves that the government prioritizes alcohol consumption above health and fitness.

I think the priority is on the taxes they collect.  

• Like 3

Of course drunks can't socially distance.  If you've done it right you need someone to hold you up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Essan said:

Same here in the US. If a bartender serves someone who is obviously drunk and that person gets in an accident and kills someone, the bartender and the establishment can be held liable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

It took this shutdown to really show me just how important alcohol is in American society. In my part of the US some restaurants have been told they can no longer serve alcohol, only food, because of how people were acting. Outdoor drinking didn't work out well I guess.

• Like 1