Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is intelligent life doomed to self-destruct ?

I'd say intelligent, technologically advanced life destroying itself is not only possible but likely. We're heading that way. I don't think we'll nuke ourselves into extinction, but climate change might do it...And we're doing nothing to stop it.
Now, I don't think we'll go extinct completely, but we could easily die off en masse and be forced into another dark age/post-apocalypse where life is short, brutal, and technology regresses to pre-industrial levels.
TBH, that seems more likely than us going all Star Trek in a few hundred years.

• Like 2

No alien civilizations have substantially colonized our solar system or systems nearby. Thus among the billion trillion stars in our past universe, none has reached the level of technology and growth that we may soon reach. This one data point implies that a Great Filter stands between ordinary dead matter and advanced exploding lasting life. And the big question is: How far along this filter are we?.....

http://mason.gmu.edu/~rhanson/greatfilter.html 

• Like 1

Our current inability to detect the radio signals of extraterrestrial civilizations may not be telling us as much as might be assumed. With technological developments toward greater efficiency, even our own signals are becoming less distinguishable from noise, to the naive observer, than they once were. There could be advanced ET signals criss-crossing the Earth, all the time, with us none the wiser. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had better hope that if there are other intelligent species out there that they are either not psychotic killers like us or if they are that they destroy themselves as we seem so determined to do. We are either going to eventually destroy our environment to the point that this planet will no longer support our life forms, develop a weapon that wipes us out, or sit here stupidly waiting until the next extinction event wipes us out.

The good news is that even on our own planet only mankind evolved into this sort of insane mass killer. No other animal will leave their home and go thousands of miles just to kill members of their own species that have never offered them harm.

I have on occasion wondered, IF UFOs are alien visitors if they are here looking at us sort of like we might look a a glass pen full of Komodo Dragons. How many people want to get in with those big lizards and get to know them? Is it really any wonder that they only seem to want to look at us and not contact us?

I expect that any species that makes it past this hump and becomes an interstellar species will not be as we are now. We COULD be so much more if we didn't waste most of our energy killing each-other and fighting. We are hearing a lot about Black Lives Matter right now. Until we realize that HUMAN lives matter and then make it a universal belief we will be little more than a fascinating group of homicidal psychotics as a species.

• Like 4

Certaintly capitalism is causing the collapse. Its greed, lobyistic hunger for economic and military domination, hegemony wars, dirty politics, unions, militarizaton of police to protect a dirty government, have killed the north american dream.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Seti42 said:

I'd say intelligent, technologically advanced life destroying itself is not only possible but likely. We're heading that way. I don't think we'll nuke ourselves into extinction, but climate change might do it...And we're doing nothing to stop it.
Now, I don't think we'll go extinct completely, but we could easily die off en masse and be forced into another dark age/post-apocalypse where life is short, brutal, and technology regresses to pre-industrial levels.

I agree.   Resources will become scarce for any species that develops technology.  

22 hours ago, Seti42 said:

If we were ''inteligent'' destroying ourself would be a paradox... We are technologically advanced life, but intelligent ?

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

If we were ''inteligent'' destroying ourself would be a paradox... We are technologically advanced life, but intelligent ?

Ethics also play a factor in this.    Perhaps the "intelligent thing for humans to do is to kill off 99% of the human population to allow the Earth health itself a bit.     

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Doomed? I don't thinks so. I don't think it's an inescapable future or just our fate as a species. Yes, the human species has a lot of things it needs to fix in order to survive.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, woopypooky said:

Advanced beings might not be using radio signal,..telepath maybe.

Even smoke signals are more likely than telepathy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Humanity will be fine then!

You sir, is too intelligent for our own good... 

~

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, bison said:

Our current inability to detect the radio signals of extraterrestrial civilizations may not be telling us as much as might be assumed. With technological developments toward greater efficiency, even our own signals are becoming less distinguishable from noise, to the naive observer, than they once were. There could be advanced ET signals criss-crossing the Earth, all the time, with us none the wiser. 

And they could have a different way of sending signals than radio waves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

And they could have a different way of sending signals than radio waves.

Even if they did send it through radio waves or whatever type of communication they have. How are to even understand what they say, if they say anything?

• Like 1

Let's say that humans within 3000 years have colonized our entire solar system. Now let's just add an additional 3000 years and we as a species have branched further. By then our language will have changed, even communication between the inner and outer colonies might be confusing if for some reason we lost communication for some extended time. So even talking to our own kind would become a challenge. I can't imagine a species unlike our own trying to say "Hey wassup."

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If they have democrat ran cities I could see it.