Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

'The masks you throw away could kill a whale'

Guyver
6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

As the world battles the coronavirus pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea.

We are putting 129 billion face masks and 65 billion plastic gloves into the environment every month, according to Ocean Conservancy.

Divers and observers are spotting more of this discarded waste floating underwater, causing problems for wildlife and washing up on shorelines all over the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-53287940/coronavirus-the-masks-you-throw-away-could-end-up-killing-a-whale?

Where is it legal to throw garbage in the sea?

if there is such a place, then job one for all of us is to join together to stop this evil practice.  Refuse belongs in the landfill where it can be covered with dirt and kill zero whales.

• Like 2

glorybebe

This is my concern.  We need to protect ourselves and limit the spread, but what happens to the gloves and masks?  Making their way to the ocean?  This is horrible.

pallidin
Posted (edited)

Wait. Nothing I throw away goes into the ocean, rather our local landfill, thousands of miles from any ocean.

Where are you getting this erroneous info?

Edited by pallidin

OverSword

These disposable masks are like the new cigarette butts.  In the city I see them discarded on the sidewalks all over.  It's disgusting.  

• Like 1

Guyver

Responsible and proper waste management ensures that waste does not end up in the oceans.  Last year a PGA golf tournament was held on a course that was built on top of a landfill.  So, for decades this land was used as a waste repository, and when it was full, it was covered with dirt and turned into a world class golf destination.  

That is proper and responsible waste management.

razman

Send em back to china , they are making a fortune off the masks , they can afford to properly dispose of them. Oh wait , they might repackage and sell them.

spartan max2

I believe it.

I'm tired of seeing gross mask on the ground in parking lots and the sidewalk.

It's not hard to just throw them away people.

Myles
On 7/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, OverSword said:

These disposable masks are like the new cigarette butts.  In the city I see them discarded on the sidewalks all over.  It's disgusting.  

Good comparison.   That is so true.   

• Like 1

openozy
On 7/9/2020 at 3:07 AM, pallidin said:

Where are you getting this erroneous info?

Do you ever watch television?