Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Argument for kids going to School in Fall

spartan max2

Find this article by an epidemiologist on why we should not worry about opening schools up in Fall. I found it interesting.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/7/9/21318560/covid-19-coronavirus-us-testing-children-schools-reopening-questions

Please do not comment without reading the thing first.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Israel reopened schools with limited class sizes in early May and lifted class size restrictions on May 17. By June 3, they had to reclose after a major outbreak. The largest outbreak was 116 students and 14 teachers at one school. Per NPR, one child tested positive without symptoms and the school decided to quarantine the grade. Next, a child in a different grade tested positive and they closed the school.

That kind of says it all doesn't it?   Opening schools will be a huge unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions...at least in the United States.  I mean, come on...last year...before the pandemic, they closed schools in north texas because of the number of kids with the flu.  We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all in the next 6 months...this thing isn't diminishing in the least, no, it is 'increasing'...it is growing.  Opening schools is the stupidest idea from our already incredibly stupid state leaders in texas.  

S  T  U  P  I  D

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, joc said:

That kind of says it all doesn't it?   Opening schools will be a huge unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions...at least in the United States.  I mean, come on...last year...before the pandemic, they closed schools in north texas because of the number of kids with the flu.  We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all in the next 6 months...this thing isn't diminishing in the least, no, it is 'increasing'...it is growing.  Opening schools is the stupidest idea from our already incredibly stupid state leaders in texas.  

S  T  U  P  I  D

Its a good article because it includes counter examples. As real articles should.

Did you read the rest of it? I'm not accusing you, just checking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Its a good article because it includes counter examples. As real articles should.

Did you read the rest of it? I'm not accusing you, just checking.

I did.  But I didn't really need to read anything.  Common sense says opening schools in the fall will be a complete total disaster.  There are so many other options to educating children.  But putting them all together in school is truly idiotic reasoning.

I mean, of course children are the least affected by Covid 19...but there is an obvious reason why ...because they don't go anywhere and do anything unless Mommie and Daddy okay it.  Put them together in school...a bunch of snotty nosed little munchkins and all hell is going to break lose.  Common sense!

.and what about Christmas?   I think we are doomed for quite sometime....just sayin'

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, joc said:

I did.  But I didn't really need to read anything.  Common sense says opening schools in the fall will be a complete total disaster.  There are so many other options to educating children.  But putting them all together in school is truly idiotic reasoning.

I mean, of course children are the least affected by Covid 19...but there is an obvious reason why ...because they don't go anywhere and do anything unless Mommie and Daddy okay it.  Put them together in school...a bunch of snotty nosed little munchkins and all hell is going to break lose.  Common sense!

Alot of kids are in daycare right now, which is the same germ risk to me.

And secondly it sacrifices the education of alot of children if you do online only. Many children will not be able to do that unless their parents are on top of it.

How do you propose educating children? 

Plus, many nation's are having school, Canada, Europe, Etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The risks of opening are uncertain, but the benefits are clear. We need to try to reopen.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's a completely illogical Bass Ackwards thought process .

The risks of opening are QUITE certain...only a pure dumbass would not be aware of the risks involved in reopening school!  The benefits are clear??? Really?  You think the generation will be lost if they don't go to school for a year?  The only thing they are going to miss is a whole year of being indoctrinated!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

And secondly it sacrifices the education of alot of children if you do online only. Many children will not be able to do that unless their parents are on top of it.

Obviously we are NOT Canada, Europe, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Obviously we are NOT Canada, Europe, etc.

Is the risk not the same in Canadian schools?

2 minutes ago, joc said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's a completely illogical Bass Ackwards thought process .

The risks of opening are QUITE certain...only a pure dumbass would not be aware of the risks involved in reopening school!  The benefits are clear??? Really?  You think the generation will be lost if they don't go to school for a year?  The only thing they are going to miss is a whole year of being indoctrinated!

Did you not think kids learn in school man lol.

The article keeps refering to one statistic or another , but i think there is a difference in the statistics and reality. I mean its not rocket science to figure that kids are not gonna adhere to strict facemask recommendations, they are gonna be very close interacting , they not so good at washing hands and keeping distance. The article sites a lot of statistics but does mention that , yes kids have been out of school since the beginning of this. Joc's example that happened in isreal is a good idea between the article statistics and reality. See how they don't line up. If it spreads like that in schools , you know somebody gonna bring it home as well. And we wouldn't be talking about a few schools , we talkin millions of children . I have a daughter going into high school and she is an A student generally and i would rather she be learning in person as it is more of a strict regiment for them so to speak. But , wait for it............ I don't think so.

• Like 1

Then there's the issue of how it is difficult for parents that work and still have kids at home, otherwise most people have TV and internet , where i could see them streaming the classes to the homes . They could use C.A.R,E.S act type funding to get everyone a TV and internet. But there is still a lot of things to consider.

• Like 2

Just now, razman said:

Then there's the issue of how it is difficult for parents that work and still have kids at home, otherwise most people have TV and internet , where i could see them streaming the classes to the homes . They could use C.A.R,E.S act type funding to get everyone a TV and internet. But there is still a lot of things to consider.

I think with highschoolers all online is more realistic. But for the younger ages, unless their parents are responsible and available enough to keep them on track they won't succeed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I read your link, and my feelings are simple. In areas were the infection spikes are rising like they are right now, schools in those areas should stay closed until the Virus  is in decline. For those areas where the Virus has declined or is in major decline opening the schools with the proper guidelines should be possible. I also think that getting the schools open is a something that should be done, but not at the expense of safety. One thing that was not talked about in your link is that most teachers are ages 50 plus, which puts them in the most dangerous age for infections.

I think the CDC guidelines should be used to reopen schools, as much as they possible can be, today the director of the CDC back tracked on his comments that he would except and change the guidelines to what the Vice President, and the President want. Today he stated that the CDC guidelines would not be changed and would remain the same, I don't know how much politics is going to play in this reopening but I think the Doctors should make the decisions not Politicians.

Here are the CDC guidelines for Schools: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html

Oh and by the way, that is a good article because of the way it was written to look at both sides of the argument.

What do you think they should do in states like this as far as schools reopening:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/the-curve-is-no-longer-flat-nearly-half-of-florida-s-icus-are-at-least-90-full/ar-BB16xYWH?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yet either way one gets the feeling it's like playing with fire. Where many could get burned.We've already seen how fast this can spread. 

Edited by razman
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Is the risk not the same in Canadian schools?

No it isn't

49 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Did you not think kids learn in school man lol.

What can they possibly learn that would out-weigh the risk of their parents dying?  We aren't Canada...look at the numbers!  Have you looked at the numbers?  Let me share them in case you haven't:

United States...Population:   328.2 million (2019)

infected:   3,114,746                  dead:  133,241   

Canada ...   Population:      37.59 million (2019)  

...infected:  108,656                 dead:   8,797

So, tell me...where on God's grey Earth is the comparison that correlates ANYTHING   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

No it isn't

What can they possibly learn that would out-weigh the risk of their parents dying?  We aren't Canada...look at the numbers!  Have you looked at the numbers?  Let me share them in case you haven't:

United States...Population:   328.2 million (2019)

infected:   3,114,746                  dead:  133,241   

Canada ...   Population:      37.59 million (2019)  

...infected:  108,656                 dead:   8,797

So, tell me...where on God's grey Earth is the comparison that correlates ANYTHING   

I guess I should make my question more targeted.

What is the difference about a Canadian classroom and a U.S classroom that makes it less risk for Canadian children to have school? Specifically.

Just now, spartan max2 said:

What is the difference about a Canadian classroom and a U.S classroom that makes it less risk for Canadian children to have school? Specifically.

Oh gee...I don't know ....

What is the difference between sitting on the dirt floor in a hut in the Congo and watching CNN on a 75 inch television screen in  your living room eating bonbons and adjusting the thermostat down 3 degrees with  your I-Phone?

Did you even look at the numbers???  Look at the numbers and then think about your question again.  More people have died in the the US than have even been infected in Canada.   

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Oh gee...I don't know ....

What is the difference between sitting on the dirt floor in a hut in the Congo and watching CNN on a 75 inch television screen in  your living room eating bonbons and adjusting the thermostat down 3 degrees with  your I-Phone?

Did you even look at the numbers???  Look at the numbers and then think about your question again.  More people have died in the the US than have even been infected in Canada.   

So if less people in the U.S had the virus then you would be fine with schools being open?

Nonething to do with the classroom setting and risk of spread in the classroom itself ?

Edited by spartan max2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I believe our Canadian class room sizes are comparable to US. 20 to 30 children and this depends in which neighbourhood the school is and if it is a public, catholic, french immersion..

We do not have a united consensus in Canada for the return to school. Every province will have their own guidelines.

Here in Ontario it was today anounced that school will restart in September IF AND ONLY IF it is safe to do so.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

So if less people in the U.S had the virus then you would be fine with schools being open?

Nonething to do with the classroom setting and risk of spread in the classroom itself ?

hmmm...let me think about that:

If there were Zero cases of covid 19 in America.....yeah, I'd be completely fine with schools being open.

If there were 5000 cases nation wide....yeah...probably be completely fine with schools being open.

But what if there were 3 million cases nation wide...and the death count was steady at 4% and what if after reopening some small businesses and bars and restaurants, those numbers started sky-rocketing?  And what if those numbers were sky-rocketing nation wide...and what if Texas was suddenly at 10,000 new cases per day...and what if those schools were set to open in 6 weeks?  And what if the holidays were just around the corner?   Oh yeah...what the hell...open the freaking schools.  Don't even think about them closing for two weeks just prior to the Covid Pandemic because of the flu...nah, don't worry...what's all the fuss about?  Open the damn schools!

But don't come crying to me when half the school childrens grandparents and parents are in the hospital or dead!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's one thing to be an academic and suggesting theoretical schools should be opened.

It's another to be an actual teacher standing before a couple of dozens kids, each one of which could be a carrier, essentially relegated to die because rich, white folk can't be bothered with raising their own children for a few months.

Don't get me wrong: I am an academic. I teach (during the school year). Sometimes I even teach big lecture classes with hundreds of students. But I've also been a public and private classroom teacher in middle and high school. And however much white privilege I can personally scrounge up, I'm betting Ivy League med school professors writing for Vox have a whole lot more to work through, or they might think twice about this article...

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve read the article.

And as a father of four and grandfather of one I say it’s to soon. Kids might be less likely to have any complications from COVID-19 but who’s going to send them to school and teach them when their teachers, parents and grandparents die from it? 
Sure I agree they don’t learn anywhere near the way they did in a class room. But that’s no reason for adults to be stupid. Find another way to make it work until this passes. Doctor or not he doesn’t sound concerned about the virus. 
The bottom line is this virus may not go away regardless of what we do. So the way people are looking at it is let it run it’s course and get past it with who all survives it. This all brings out the worst in people it reminds me of one of those old zombie movies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe the virus will decide if kids stay in school if we dare try it in the fall. Just like it's forcing some businesses to shut down again.

*sigh* But I guess it's going to take kids developing breathing issues, heart issues, neurological issues, serious skin issues, and unfortunately a few child deaths, after the schools reopen before we all learn a harsh lesson. :(

• Like 3