Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Argument for kids going to School in Fall

spartan max2

Not a bad article.

It is not much use asking why other countries can open their schools if we cannot.  Time better spent asking why we have more infections, transmission, and consequences than other countries.

What I have heard on a national level is that the medical suggestions for safely opening schools is too costly and restrictive, so we don't want to do that.  What do you expect the result of that attitude might be?

I have also read that many school districts will have to lay off teachers because of the budget problems incurred by reopening with safety precautions.  What kind of sense does that make?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Find this article by an epidemiologist on why we should not worry about opening schools up in Fall. I found it interesting.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/7/9/21318560/covid-19-coronavirus-us-testing-children-schools-reopening-questions

Please do not comment without reading the thing first.

The odds he cites will be poor consolation if your kid gets covid at school and brings it home.  Odds are a fine thing, but meaningless if you're the loser.

When I was in second grade I came down with a severe case of rheumatic fever.  It wiped out my second grade schooling which I had to do over.  While there were consequences to staying out of school for a year, I eventually recovered and am now a forestry researcher with all the degrees to back it up.  The sickness left me with problems, but I have still led a successful life.

My daughter was struck by a car while in high school and severely injured.  She stayed out of school for an entire year.  When she went back, a band teacher took her under his wing and helped her readjust.  She is now 40 and running a dog rescue.

I would advise parents not to take the risk.  Keep your kids home for an extra year if that is what it takes.  In the long run, a year's schooling can be made up with little effect on later life, but crippling or death is permanent.

Doug

• Like 3

At least 31 percent of children tested in Florida are positive for COVID-19: report

Nearly one-third of every person under 18 years old tested for the coronavirus in Florida are positive for the virus, according to a report on Friday. Palm Beach County’s health department director, Dr. Alina Alonso, warned county commissioners Tuesday about the potential long-term health consequences for children who catch COVID-19. She said the virus could cause lifelong damage even for children with mild illnesses.

They are seeing there is damage to the lungs in these asymptomatic children. ... We don’t know how that is going to manifest a year from now or two years from now,” Alonso said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. “Is that child going to have chronic pulmonary problems or not?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/over-31-percent-florida-children-tested-florida-positive-covid-19-report

I realise these stats are limited to Florida, but the findings regarding the impact the virus is having on children applies globally. And if ths isn't enough to put the fear of god in parents, I don't know what will.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

And if ths isn't enough to put the fear of god in parents, I don't know what will.

It's not the fear of god that has parents questioning the school lockouts.

It's the fear of fraud.

25 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

It's the fear of fraud.

The odds that you know someone who has died of covid are about one in 2700.  By Trump's Covid Party, it will be around 1:2400.  By Election Day it will be down to 1:1500.  It will take awhile, but the proof is on the way.

Doug

On 7/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, spartan max2 said:

The Argument for kids going to School in Fall

A ridiculous idea.

They should go to school in Autumn.

Edited by Setton
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hacktorp said:

It's the fear of fraud.

I don't follow. What fraud? 

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I don't follow. What fraud? 

The fraud that is the fear-campaign warning parents their kids are at risk by going to school.

That fraud.

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

At least 31 percent of children tested in Florida are positive for COVID-19: report

Nearly one-third of every person under 18 years old tested for the coronavirus in Florida are positive for the virus, according to a report on Friday. Palm Beach County’s health department director, Dr. Alina Alonso, warned county commissioners Tuesday about the potential long-term health consequences for children who catch COVID-19. She said the virus could cause lifelong damage even for children with mild illnesses.

They are seeing there is damage to the lungs in these asymptomatic children. ... We don’t know how that is going to manifest a year from now or two years from now,” Alonso said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. “Is that child going to have chronic pulmonary problems or not?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/over-31-percent-florida-children-tested-florida-positive-covid-19-report

I realise these stats are limited to Florida, but the findings regarding the impact the virus is having on children applies globally. And if ths isn't enough to put the fear of god in parents, I don't know what will.

Those figures are amazing. Those are far larger than the rates mentioned in the article.

They found that only about 4 to 5 percent of kids developed an active infection. In comparison, about 17 to 20 percent of adults became infected after exposure.

Why are these values so drastically different? Is it that children are constantly subjected to exposures which eventually add up to this 31%?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

The fraud that is the fear-campaign warning parents their kids are at risk by going to school.

That fraud.

Clearly you need to get a dictionary and learn the meaning of the word fraud.

There are plenty of ideas that can be tried. One of the suggestions from our school is that the students could alternate days they attend. That reduces the number of students in the building to 1/2. A class with 24 students now has only 12 in the classroom each day.

Ideas such as this can be considered. There are plenty more.

The school itself is not what I see as the main problem. It is transportation. How do we get the students to school and back if they rely on buses or other forms of transportation?

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, Tatetopa said:

Not a bad article.

It is not much use asking why other countries can open their schools if we cannot.  Time better spent asking why we have more infections, transmission, and consequences than other countries.

What I have heard on a national level is that the medical suggestions for safely opening schools is too costly and restrictive, so we don't want to do that.  What do you expect the result of that attitude might be?

I have also read that many school districts will have to lay off teachers because of the budget problems incurred by reopening with safety precautions.  What kind of sense does that make?

The last stimulus package should have prepared school districts for these scenarios by providing funds and resources. 

I'm all for schools opening back up but parents should be given a choice of whether they want to put their kids and/or families at risk by giving them the option for online learning the same way the school year ended.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

That fraud.

The fear, unfortunately, is only too real. I wish it was a fraud, but it isn't.

29 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Why are these values so drastically different? Is it that children are constantly subjected to exposures which eventually add up to this 31%?

I assumed the differences had to do with the nature of the infection and to the degree it impacted the children. I'll need to look back at it as I could have taken it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I assumed the differences had to do with the nature of the infection and to the degree it impacted the children. I'll need to look back at it as I could have taken it wrong.

I was wondering if this could be different strains since the Wuhan initial infections appear to be form a less infectious strain.

• Like 1

Where I am in NC, they’re moving forward with plans for a hybrid model of some face to face and some online learning. I’m guessing it will be an every other day scenario that will limit class sizes. They’re also working on the ability to provide full online learning for those that don’t wish to send their kids. 

I have four kids, two in elementary school. My wife and I are lucky enough to have jobs that are allowing us to adjust schedules. We are not sending our kids to school. It’s just not worth the risk. The kids will be fine. They’ll progress through online learning and we’ll do some face to face learning with my mom a couple days a week who is a retired teacher. I’m more concerned about them missing out on social interaction but it is what it is. I feel bad for the families who are in more difficult situations and might not have the ability of choice that I do. 

i saw an interesting post on social media yesterday about a parent knowingly dropping their COVID infected child off at daycare because they had to go to work and if you think this won’t happen when schools reopen you’re crazy. That’s absolutely right. Tough times, tough decisions and unfortunately we won’t know the right answer until after the fact. You just have to do your best to weigh the risks. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The fear, unfortunately, is only too real. I wish it was a fraud, but it isn't.

Whoa...looks like your wish came true.  That's impressive:

TRUTH BOMB
This isn’t about COVID 19 or BLACK LIVES MATTER. This is a major cover up for PEDOPHILIA and HUMAN TRAFFICKING.
4:27 AM · Jul 16, 2020

If you get a moment, could you wish for a few million bucks to drop into my back yard?  Thanks!

50 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Whoa...looks like your wish came true.  That's impressive:

If you get a moment, could you wish for a few million bucks to drop into my back yard?  Thanks!

Oh wow, an ex-con cconspiracy theorist and bigot making my wish come true. Who would have thought.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Oh wow, an ex-con cconspiracy theorist and bigot making my wish come true. Who would have thought.

She's a well-respected person of color.

Please do not bring racist 'canceling' into the thread.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, hacktorp said:

She's a well-respected person of color.

Well you're half right, I'll give you that.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, razman said:

She should put your self where her mouth is - in the schools as they reopen to show that she believes what is coming out of her mouth.

In New Mexico schooling has been moved to the internet.  My daughter is working from home and was recently told that the office is going to stay closed, everyone working from home until a vaccine is available to the public (probably about 2 years).  My grandson is doing school online using Google Classroom.  It is hard because there is a really bad bug in Google classroom that gives ownership to the first person to log on, rather than only the teacher so if some kid logs on 15 minutes early that kid is the only one who can mute the class so that the teacher can explain without a bunch of background noise. 

My grandson goes to a charter school but all the other schools in the city are using Google classroom.  A friend is a second grade teacher in a school that has a lot of homeless children.  The city has opened up wifi everywhere and has provided chromebooks for the students so they can still "go to school" but the parents often don't even have an email address, so my friend finds it very frustrating, especially since they lost some teachers so all the classes are 60 + kids.  I don't think everything has been thought through and it will probably take the whole school year to work out the kinks if they don't decide to open the schools this year.  Logistically it is very difficult for the teachers, the students and the parents, but most would rather deal with that than large numbers of sick kids.

• Like 1