Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds of UK police have crime convictions

Still Waters

More than 200 serving police officers in the UK have convictions for criminal offences including assault, burglary, drug possession and animal cruelty, Sky News can reveal.

Forces across the country employ at least 211 police officers and PCSOs who were guilty of crimes, according to data released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The actual number is likely to be much higher, however, after just a third of forces revealed how many of their officers have criminal convictions, with many claiming it would cost too much to retrieve the information.

https://news.sky.com/story/assault-burglary-and-animal-cruelty-police-officers-convicted-of-crimes-working-for-uk-forces-12024264

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

"More than 200 serving police officers in the UK have convictions for criminal offences including assault, burglary, drug possession and animal cruelty, Sky News can reveal.

"Forces across the country employ at least 211 police officers and PCSOs who were guilty of crimes, according to data released under the Freedom of Information Act."

Full scoop at Sky News UK: https://news.sky.com/story/assault-burglary-and-animal-cruelty-police-officers-convicted-of-crimes-working-for-uk-forces-12024264

Equality, Diversity & Inclusion.  lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

"More than 200 serving police officers in the UK have convictions for criminal offences including assault, burglary, drug possession and animal cruelty, Sky News can reveal.

"Forces across the country employ at least 211 police officers and PCSOs who were guilty of crimes, according to data released under the Freedom of Information Act."

Full scoop at Sky News UK: https://news.sky.com/story/assault-burglary-and-animal-cruelty-police-officers-convicted-of-crimes-working-for-uk-forces-12024264

I dont know what to think of this.

If someone has shown they have what it takes to break the law then I dont think they should be trusted to behave legally in police roles.

• Like 5

This doesn't surprise me. The selection process does seem to be a bit more relaxed these days.

_108079662_p07hywsl.thumb.jpg.e5036cf757546e50b272a350ff7e4470.jpg

399196119_OIP(5).jpg.2e56fd6d023cd5b19f84c77623ab1664.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

If someone has shown they have what it takes to break the law then I dont think they should be trusted to behave legally in police roles.

It depends on the severity of the crime and their history.  "Assault" can be pushing somebody.  "Drug possession" can be getting caught with a joint in your pocket.  "Animal cruelty" can be kicking a dog that's attacking you.  The burglary one amuses me.  Once a thief, I reckon, but that's just me.

Should someone be barred from applying for the Police Force forever because of a blip from years ago?

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

This doesn't surprise me. The selection process does seem to be a bit more relaxed these days.

_108079662_p07hywsl.thumb.jpg.e5036cf757546e50b272a350ff7e4470.jpg

399196119_OIP(5).jpg.2e56fd6d023cd5b19f84c77623ab1664.jpg

And these officers are indicative of a relaxed selection process how exactly?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I don't think it a coincidence that the officers you showcased either just happen to be a lesbian, as in the case of Cressida Dick, or appear in support of the LGBT+ community. That aside, Dick has an impressive 40 year career as a police officer. Her showing support for NHS workers was well-intentioned, and from the videos I've seen, most people respected social distancing. It was a planned police event where the crowds were more than expected. Yes, she and other officers should have managed the situation better, but that incident is in no way an example of a relaxed selection process.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Typo corrections.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

:clap:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

You don't personally know many police officers do you? 

From my experience having relatives and fathers of a few friends in that line of work most police will get away with what they think they can much more so than the average law abiding person.

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

From my experience having relatives and fathers of a few friends in that line of work most police will get away with what they think they can much more so than the average law abiding person.

This the UK not rural police in the states where the family are half the police station.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:

This the UK not rural police in the states where the family are half the police station.

I don't live anywhere rural.  You just don't know many police personally.

Poachers turned gamekeepers.There are about 130,000 police so 200 is, in the great scheme of things, not that many. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The police officers I know are extraordinarily decent. I can't ever imagine them breaking the law or doing something unethical. The ones who do break the law do so deliberately as part of their undercover work (money laundering, etc.) but would never do it for real for real.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The police officers I know are extraordinarily decent. I can't ever imagine them breaking the law or doing something unethical. The ones who do break the law do so deliberately as part of their undercover work (money laundering, etc.) but would never do it for real for real.

I know one who go sacked for brutal use of handcuffs.

And I know someone who after the 5th time he got nicked for fighting or stealing a police officer beat him up in the cell. He deserved it, but thats illegal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Should someone be barred from applying for the Police Force forever because of a blip from years ago?

It's not entirely clear from the article whether some of those convictions happened prior to joining the force or during, unless I missed something.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes they would.  I'm not talking about bank robbery.  I mean driving like jerks, confiscating things from criminals and keeping them, being petty in neighborhood disputes to the point of misdemeanor, or bullying just because they can.  Things like this and more I have personally witnessed as well as heard them tell stories of while laughing it up.  They are also otherwise decent upstanding citizens for the most part with good hearts who go out of their way daily to help people.

If you've never seen the 2004 film "Crash" maybe give that a watch.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes they would.  I'm not talking about bank robbery.  I mean driving like jerks, confiscating things from criminals and keeping them, being petty in neighborhood disputes to the point of misdemeanor, or bullying just because they can.  Things like this and more I have personally witnessed as well as heard them tell stories of while laughing it up.  They are also otherwise decent upstanding citizens for the most part with good hearts who go out of their way daily to help people.

If you've never seen the 2004 film "Crash" maybe give that a watch.  

No they wouldn't. The ones I know are straight arrow by the book types, working for either Interpol or the RCMP. The ones working undercover in proceeds of crime hang out with the worst scum imaginable, and they've had to do things they would never otherwise do, but they're not bullies, thieves or whatever. That kind of behaviour is beneath them. They have worked far too hard to get where they're at to blow it by behaving like petty criminals. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

No they wouldn't. The ones I know are straight arrow by the book types, working for either Interpol or the RCMP. The ones working undercover in proceeds of crime hang out with the worst scum imaginable, and they've had to do things they would never otherwise do, but they're not bullies, thieves or whatever. That kind of behaviour is beneath them. They have worked far too hard to get where they're at to blow it by behaving like petty criminals. 

Please Kitten.  They are only human.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Kelly_(former_RCMP_officer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Gregson

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/ex-rcmp-officer-convicted-of-breach-of-trust-sentenced-to-house-arrest/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ian-kaulback-sentenced-1.5151243

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I stand by my character assessment of the officers I know personally.

I not once suggested that all police officers are perfect, but the actions of a few in no way suggest that every police officer behaves badly. Besides, being human, doesn't necessarily mean being weak or easily tempted. In the examples you cited, all were convicted, and not one of them continues to work for the RCMP. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

And you don't know any British police do you?

19 minutes ago, Setton said:

And you don't know any British police do you?

What's the title of this thread Stetton :lol: 

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

What's the title of this thread Stetton :lol: 

And all of those will have been committed before joining the police. You lose your job if convicted in the police.

And you're still completely clueless about UK police.

Edited by Setton

32 minutes ago, Setton said:

And all of those will have been committed before joining the police. You lose your job if convicted in the police.

And you're still completely clueless about UK police.

Don't be ****.  I'm quite sure that a police officer in the UK breaks the law.  It's utterly ridiculous to believe it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Don't be ****.  I'm quite sure that a police officer in the UK breaks the law.  It's utterly ridiculous to believe it doesn't happen.

And if caught, they lose their job.

What you said, was that you believed police commit crimes whenever they think they can get away with it.

Maybe it's true for your incompetent police soldiers but not our police officers.

• Haha 1