Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds of UK police have crime convictions

Still Waters

24 minutes ago, Setton said:

And if caught, they lose their job.

What you said, was that you believed police commit crimes whenever they think they can get away with it.

Maybe it's true for your incompetent police soldiers but not our police officers.

No, I didn't say that.  I said they will get away with little things more often than your average law abiding citizen.  And many will.  You know, things like rolling through a stop sign.  That's against the law there too right? 

You're insane, do you know that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Equality, Diversity & Inclusion.  lol

Yeah, I'm sure that the great god of PC has a lot to do with it.  The other factor might well be the lack of quality applicants, especially NOW.  I mean... how many young, principled and caring men and women would embark on a career that has even less dignity shown to it than average soldiers and sailors?  Seriously... why would anyone want the job at this point?  I'd fear the incoming recruits as potentially abusive power-seekers much more than those from the past :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

No, I didn't say that.  I said they will get away with little things more often than your average law abiding citizen.  And many will.  You know, things like rolling through a stop sign.  That's against the law there too right? 

You're insane, do you know that?

I had an uncle who was a city cop many years ago.  His wife had a lead foot and never got speeding tickets but that was the extent of the special treatment.  She KNEW better than to go to THAT well too often exactly because he WAS a good cop and a damned fine man.  

I'm encouraged to see that I'm not the only one who is, er, put off, by Setton's personality :w00t:

1 hour ago, and then said:

I had an uncle who was a city cop many years ago.  His wife had a lead foot and never got speeding tickets but that was the extent of the special treatment.  She KNEW better than to go to THAT well too often exactly because he WAS a good cop and a damned fine man.  

I'm encouraged to see that I'm not the only one who is, er, put off, by Setton's personality :w00t:

I enjoy Setton. I have laughed my ass off going back and forth with him. I think he feels the same way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

And you have absolutely nothing to base that on except your own limited experience of your own sub-standard police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

Feeling's more than mutual, I assure you.

Any plans to murder civilians so you can start a war lately?

1 hour ago, Setton said:

And you have absolutely nothing to base that on except your own limited experience of your own sub-standard police.

I don’t believe that overall our police are substandard. *snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed personal attack

41 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don’t believe that overall our police are substandard.

You're the one who claims to know your police break the law because they can get away with it.

I know ours don't.

Therefore, yours are substandard.

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

I enjoy Setton. I have laughed my ass off going back and forth with him. I think he feels the same way.

I've never acquired a taste for his, taste, so to speak.  To each his own.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:08 AM, Setton said:

And human nature.  

On 7/11/2020 at 2:10 AM, Setton said:

You're the one who claims to know your police break the law because they can get away with it.

I know ours don't.

Therefore, yours are substandard.

You know nothing of the sort.  How do you explain the criminal records of hundreds of UK police?  You naively believe that they never ever fudge the law, except of course before they donned the uniform and became perfection like we haven't seen since Christ. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You know nothing of the sort.  How do you explain the criminal records of hundreds of UK police?  You naively believe that they never ever fudge the law, except of course before they donned the uniform and became perfection like we haven't seen since Christ. 

As I've already told you, they must have committed those crimes before joining the police. Otherwise, they would have lost their jobs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

As I've already told you, they must have committed those crimes before joining the police. Otherwise, they would have lost their jobs.

Yes, and then they never did one other thing wrong forever and ever :rolleyes:  Gimme a break.

Edited by OverSword

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

Speak for yourself.

You never make a mistake then?  Okay :lol:

Just now, OverSword said:

Yes, and then they never did one thing wrong forever and ever :rolleyes:  Gimme a break.

The onus is on you to prove they did, not me.

Just now, OverSword said:

You never make a mistake then?  Okay :lol:

I make mistakes, sure. I don't abuse my position to break the law and get away with it.

Just now, Setton said:

The onus is on you to prove they did, not me.

I don't have to prove  anything.  It's plain common sense, which you seem to lack.

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

I make mistakes, sure. I don't abuse my position to break the law and get away with it.

Who said abuse position? Do you drive?  Do you ever exceed the speed limit, go through a yellow light that turns red right before you are through the intersection, don't stop completely at a stop sign?  I'll bet if you sit at a stop sign in a city all day you will see at least one police car roll through it without stopping completely 

Edited by OverSword

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Who said abuse position?

That would be you. Breaking the law because you know you can get away with it as a police officer would seem to fit the definition.

Do you drive? 

Yes.

Do you ever exceed the speed limit,

No

go through a yellow light that turns red right before you are through the intersection,

Not a law here but I have never gone through a red light, no.

don't stop completely at a stop sign? 

No. Can't think when I last came across one but no.

Do you actually find driving legally that hard?

I'll bet if you sit at a stop sign in a city all day you will see at least one police car roll through it without stopping completely 

Feel free to fly over here and test that theory.

Of course, you'll have to get that pandemic under control first. And find a stop sign in London...

Edited by Setton

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't have to prove  anything.  It's plain common sense, which you seem to lack.

It's plain common sense that the people employed to uphold the law must abuse that position to break said law?

Yeah, I definitely don't have whatever you have...

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

It's plain common sense that the people employed to uphold the law must abuse that position to break said law?

No it's plain common sense that everyone makes harmless mistakes and occasionally one of those harmless mistakes may be strictly outside the law. 

Or here's a good example that wouldn't really be a mistake that I myself, being a dedicated pedestrian walking about 10 miles a day do often, do you ever walk across an intersection while you technically should not because of the traffic light but there are zero cars so you cross anyway?

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No it's plain common sense that everyone makes harmless mistakes and occasionally one of those harmless mistakes may be strictly outside the law. 

But you didn't talk about accidental mistakes, did you?

You said:

On 7/10/2020 at 4:25 PM, OverSword said:

From my experience having relatives and fathers of a few friends in that line of work most police will get away with what they think they can much more so than the average law abiding person.

A word of advice: if you're going to try to change the terms of the argument, don't do it in a thread where I can just quote your words back at you.

Or here's a good example that wouldn't really be a mistake that I myself, being a dedicated pedestrian walking about 10 miles a day do often, do you ever walk across an intersection while you technically should not because of the traffic light but there are zero cars so you cross anyway?

I can honestly say I have never, ever, crossed the raid where I legally should not.

Of course, there's no such thing as jaywalking in the UK but, with your 'common sense' insight into UK law, you already knew that, right?

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Always, but never in front of children. 

But to your point about human nature, I don't think it human nature, I think it the nature of the individual.

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

A word of advice: if you're going to try to change the terms of the argument, don't do it in a thread where I can just quote your words back at you.

A mistake is not the same thing as an accident.  A mistake is an error in judgement. Judging that it is okay to fudge a light is not an accident it's a mistake and against the law strictly speaking.

edit:  So let's change mistake to misjudge.

Edited by OverSword