Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diversity Training for Seattle City Employees

OverSword

Last month, the city of Seattle’s Office of Civil Rights sent an e-mail inviting “white city employees” to attend a training session on “Interrupting Internalized Racial Superiority and Whiteness,” a program designed to help white workers examine their “complicity in . . . white supremacy” and “interrupt racism in ways that are accountable to black, indigenous and people of color.” Hoping to learn more, I submitted a public-records request for all documentation related to the training.

The results are disturbing.

At the start, the trainers explain that white people have internalized a sense of racial superiority, which has made them unable to access their “humanity” and caused “harm and violence” to minorities. The trainers claim that “individualism,” “perfectionism,” “intellectualization” and “objectivity” are all vestiges of this internalized racism and must be abandoned in favor of social-justice principles.

The city frames the discussion around the idea that black Americans are reducible to the essential quality of “blackness” and white Americans are reducible to “whiteness” — that is, the new metaphysics of good and evil.

Once the diversity trainers have established this basic conceptual framework, they encourage white employees to “practice self-talk that affirms [their] complicity in racism” and work on “undoing [their] own whiteness.” As part of this process, white employees must abandon their “white-normative behavior” and learn to let go of their “comfort,” “physical safety,” “social status” and “relationships with some other white people.”

Link

Is it becoming a crime to be white?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This is absolute idiocy.  A new way to keep tensions alive and well between different groups. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It's no different than methods used by cults to recruit members.  They are told they are inherently wrong, bad, and evil.  They are told to separate from their friends and family and give up relationships that may be possibly offensive to the group.  They are singled out for the color of their skin.  

It is also the trick used by every corporate training guru with a new angle to sell.  Every one of them sells somebody on the idea that he can make all the corporation's problems change into smooth sailing if they just adopt his approach no matter how outrageous it sounds.   We are gullible and yearn for instant easy solutions even when they are painful or illogical  That is true of the average citizen, the corporate executive and the city councilperson.

People seem to prefer believing in something crazy but easy than being told solving problems takes constant  consistent work

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The trainers claim that “individualism,” “perfectionism,” “intellectualization” and “objectivity” are all vestiges of this internalized racism and must be abandoned in favor of social-justice principles.

:blink: So the Correct way to behave is to follow the herd, be sloppy in your work, be unintellectual and don't look at things in an unemotional, objective way. And, presumably, all these traits are characteristics, according to the PRS* politburo, of black, Indigenous and people of color? i.e. they all follow the herd and don't think for themselves, they're slapdash, unintellectual and get all emotional about everything? Is that what they're saying? :mellow:

* People's Republic of Seattle 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

Those trainers can kiss my lily white ass. I treat everyone the same. A racist treats an entire race badly. Just like these trainers blaming all whites instead of the individual racist.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

I'd rather see the actual training materials than the interpretation of a right biased tabloid with a dodgy reporting history.

But that's just me. I know facts are unfashionable with certain people these days.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

I'd rather see the actual training materials than the interpretation of a right biased tabloid with a dodgy reporting history.

But that's just me. I know facts are unfashionable with certain people these days.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1280277423846653953

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

It definitely depends on the population you are in immediate contact with.  While caucasians are still a majority in the area I come from, we are definitely a shrinking majority.  I think the difference is that for 30 years or so we've made our peace and learned to live with our black and brown neighbors.  THEY, in turn, have learned to respect us somewhat more than those in other areas of the country.  RESPECT, not fear.  

What we are seeing today is an assault on our nation and it isn't going to end until they have crushed all that America was founded to be OR until we are literally killing each other.  IMO, those who live in major urban areas controlled by Democrats better plan on evacuation or have a plan to get in a bunker. No matter what happens in November, this nation is going to burn in those cities.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Setton said:

The source seems reasonable but it's strange that an official government course doesn't have anything identifying on any of the documentation.

One possibility is that the government agency involved wants to maintain a degree of deniability if there are legal repercussions.  A decision like this would have me putting my house up for sale and making plans to leave this jurisdiction before even worse laws and penalties came down.  The Left is out of control.

• Like 1

Over Sword, did you realize she was THIS anti-American?  Are there really enough people in Seattle to push this kind of lunacy through?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, and then said:

One possibility is that the government agency involved wants to maintain a degree of deniability if there are legal repercussions. 

That's getting a bit into tin foil hat territory for me. Can't say I've ever seen a government document without some kind of branding.

Courses like this are nothing new and they must not work because all we keep hearing is that racism is getting worse.  By the same logic that says you can't help the poor by punishing the rich, you can't elevate Blacks by humiliating Whites.  The only place I ever see racial conflict is in the news.  On the street people generally seem to get along just fine.  Ask yourself, do you harass people of other races?  Do they harass you?  Or do you work together, shop together, play together and generally treat each other with civility and respect?  So who needs this class?

The email from the Seattle Office of Civil Rights used the phrase "black, indigenous and people of color."  Are Asians and Hispanics now "people of color"?  Does she mean to imply that they are inferior to the people who get their own category?  Are Blacks not people of color anymore?  I know they're no longer "colored people".  See where this leads?  No one is safe.  The English language is against us.  Yesterday's enlightened expression is today's racial slur.  

This can only make matters worse.  Every innocent, open minded white person who has to sit through these classes will come out resenting the people they deem responsible for this.  Someone should do a survey of racial attitudes among the participants before and after the class.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its sad, how today that so many far left wing radials, are trying to divide people , take down our government and our history :( the mobs are even attacking churches:(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Over Sword, did you realize she was THIS anti-American?  Are there really enough people in Seattle to push this kind of lunacy through?

She's my district rep.  Ever since so many IT and tech companies from San Francisco moved HQ here the demographics got a bit skewed, that's how she got elected and why my rent is so high.  We almost got rid of her last election and I'm sure this upcoming one will be the end of her now that her insanity and hate is so much in the public eye.

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Thanks. That is by far the weirdest diversity course I have ever seen.

The source seems reasonable but it's strange that an official government course doesn't have anything identifying on any of the documentation.

I don't think it's specifically a governmental course, I think it's a third party firm that does diversity training.  Whacky diversity training apparently.

• Like 1

Honestly I took a look at the slides and this doesn't seem terribly objectionable. I don't see anything about hating yourself for being white, just detailing how white privilege works. And the 'physical safety' thing...well I will remind you that a lot of this stuff is for cops, and if a cop always feels safe, they're probably not doing their job right. And passing up positions if you're not qualified for it is something we really should see more of, especially in the white house. And the stuff about other white people being angry, well yeah, racists would be p***ed about other people being less racist, and reflecting on racist stuff you did in the past is a good way to come to an understanding about how you can do better. Racism is not our fault but we are responsible for fixing it is a pretty uncontroversial message in my book as well. 

That said, I generally don't go in for this guru stuff, and they'd be much better suited just hanging out for a weekend with NAACP members and civil rights leaders, but it doesn't seem that much weirder then any other class on the subject I've ever seen. 

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Its sad, how today that so many far left wing radials, are trying to divide people , take down our government and our history :( the mobs are even attacking churches:(

We're not the ones who race baited a candidate into office, refuse to let any bill onto the floor if its to the left of Regan, and glorified klansmen and confederate generals when they should be condemned for the awful **** they did. Ya'll can blame Liberals for a lot of things, from the man-bun to gluten free cupcakes, but you can't blame us for the **** going on with race these days. Its like yelling at an exterminator for moving a fridge and revealing all the roaches under it, they where already there, we just made people take notice. 

And honestly the churches are likely just collateral damage, like the time I was in the middle of bum**** nowhere and peed on a church. It wasn't that I hated Lutherans, it was "I'm five miles from the nearest toilet on a mountain bike and there's a little projection of wall that'll cover me nicely". 

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Thanks. That is by far the weirdest diversity course I have ever seen.

The source seems reasonable but it's strange that an official government course doesn't have anything identifying on any of the 

Some folks are being manipulated into doing things they don't comprehend. Agree or disagree ideologically, we're into next-level nuttiness in the US. That causes some to take action without thinking of ramifications...just get it done. In spite of disgust both sides have for each other, most of us have some level of code we follow re: crossing lines. Next generation seems to have no code. Results at all and any cost. Cynical, I realize, but it's where we are.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jerry Gallo said:

Some folks are being manipulated into doing things they don't comprehend. Agree or disagree ideologically, we're into next-level nuttiness in the US. That causes some to take action without thinking of ramifications...just get it done. In spite of disgust both sides have for each other, most of us have some level of code we follow re: crossing lines. Next generation seems to have no code. Results at all and any cost. Cynical, I realize, but it's where we are.

Our code is 'don't be a dick to people just because they're different'. Not hard to figure out, honestly, and it leaves less room for interpretation as opposed to more faith based ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Our code is 'don't be a dick to people just because they're different'. Not hard to figure out, honestly, and it leaves less room for interpretation as opposed to more faith based ones.

Cool! Would you consider faith based people "different", or are there exceptions to the rule? 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Gallo said:

Cool! Would you consider faith based people "different", or are there exceptions to the rule? 

Are they using nitpicky details of their holy book to turn 'love thy neighbor' into 'i'm gonna yell at him to go back to africa' and 'my son is gay, time to kick him out onto the streets'?

9 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Are they using nitpicky details of their holy book to turn 'love thy neighbor' into 'i'm gonna yell at him to go back to africa' and 'my son is gay, time to kick him out onto the streets'?

Possibly. So your code is inconsistent and based mostly on agreement? Explains the Uncle Tom phenomenon. Also well thought out...if seven out of ten accept their sons and treat them as one would hope and expect...they still get mocked along with the other three. You are violating your own code. 

• Like 1