Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Southern pôle wall

Damien99

I think it is that it is so much larger than the largest one known until this one was found.

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think it is that it is so much larger than the largest one known until this one was found.

So what is it exactly 

1 hour ago, Damien99 said:

I thought these areas existed already so what’s special about this one

These areas have existed longer than humans have been on planet earth, so if you state that you thought they already existed why are you asking what it is exactly?

As I understand it the "walls" are areas around groups of galaxies, not literal walls .  I am not an astronomer so can only give you my understanding based on what I have read.

5 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

So what is it exactly 

A cluster of galaxies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Timothy said:

A cluster of galaxies. 

That’s what I was getting out of it but wanted to make sure I was correct

That is literally far out!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:42 PM, Damien99 said:

I thought these areas existed already so what’s special about this one

Who said anything about it being special? That is just another example of you failing to understand what science is.

Every time you come across a science article that you don't understand (which is pretty much all of them) you ask the question, "what is special about this?"

The problem is that with all the questions that you have asked you have learnt precisely nothing. 

You incorrectly assume that, because someone has written an article, the subject must be, "special".

You usually then make the further, and even more incorrect, assumption that as it is, "special," it must pose some sort of threat.

Science is about learning new things, making new discoveries.

This supercluster was not previously known. Now it has been found... that is a discovery, it is new scientific knowledge. It doesn't mean it is special (and indeed nowhere in the article is any such claim made... that's just another of your inventions).

When scientists complete their research they publish the results. Just because they have found something new it doesn't mean they are claiming it is special. Indeed they will publish results even if they are negative and nothing new has been found. Even a negative result constitutes new knowledge. 

If you could stop jumping to wrong conclusions and spend time learning about basic science you might learn something, then you might actually be able to work things out for yourself instead of constantly starting topics with the words, "I don't understand".

11 hours ago, Timothy said:

A cluster of galaxies. 

Actually it is a supercluster.

Clusters are structures made from groupings of galaxies. 

Superclusters are structures made from groupings of clusters. 

Superclusters are among the largest known structures in the universe. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

As I understand it the "walls" are areas around groups of galaxies, not literal walls .  I am not an astronomer so can only give you my understanding based on what I have read.

A "wall" is an enormous structure made of superclusters. Superclusters form even larger structures (the largest know). Depending on the shape of these structures they are known as filaments, walls, complexes or sheets.