Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is All This Testing Really Necessary?

Dustyrose33

https://www.centerforhealthjournalism.org/2020/04/01/why-covid-19-testing-probably-won-t-improve-your-health

I know many peopled are in a panic, wanting to be tested to see if they have the virus.   But as the article states, if your symptoms are mild all they will do is to tell you to stay home, stay hydrated and take Tylenol.   People are crowding waiting rooms to get tested, but that in itself is a vehicle for transmission of the virus.   I can't see sitting in long car lines for testing either.

• Like 1

Yes, testing is necessary.  If you want accurate numbers then you have to have testing, and testing everyone would give more accurate numbers rather than only testing those with severe symptoms.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, testing is necessary.  If you want accurate numbers then you have to have testing, and testing everyone would give more accurate numbers rather than only testing those with severe symptoms.

I can see what you are saying, but Covid 19, even though dominant right now, is not the only virus on earth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/science/virosphere-evolution.html

Yes, it's necessary.  It gives a measure of "how bad is it" for the specific area.  This (should) allow cities and states (and countries) to prepare and to move resources as needed.  If you know that positive test rates are on the rise, this tells you that you may shortly see a spike in death rates and in hospitalization rates.

It allows you to be PROactive, not REactive.  Being proactive means you can stop something from getting worse -- using a kitchen fire extinguisher on a stove fire to keep it from getting out of control.  Being reactive means you wait until you see the kitchen is actually on fire and then rush in with your personal fire extinguisher and buckets of water to control the damage.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Dustyrose33 said:

I can see what you are saying, but Covid 19, even though dominant right now, is not the only virus on earth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/science/virosphere-evolution.html

Right, but it is currently the worst virus we have dealt with and we have to get a grip on it by keeping huge numbers of people getting it all at once so that there is no medical support.  The point of testing is to contain it, not eliminate it.

• Like 7

There’s a large proportion of people who are asymptomatic.

Widespread testing will enable medical professionals to identify people who may be spreading the virus without knowing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, but it is currently the worst virus we have dealt with and we have to get a grip on it by keeping huge numbers of people getting it all at once so that there is no medical support.  The point of testing is to contain it, not eliminate it.

Yes, we definitely need to get a grip on it.  I was happy to see at Walmart this last time there were more people with masks on than without, for a change.   I'm not saying testing is not needed, of course it is to know where the virus is going, but are doctors going to advise it to those that just have a slight sniffle or slight frog in their throat, so they head to an already overloaded waiting room?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Yes, we definitely need to get a grip on it.  I was happy to see at Walmart this last time there were more people with masks on than without, for a change.   I'm not saying testing is not needed, of course it is to know where the virus is going, but are doctors going to advise it to those that just have a slight sniffle or slight frog in their throat, so they head to an already overloaded waiting room?

Yes, IF you can get a test.

Because if you know that sniffle/diarrhea/etc means Covid-19 you can warn friends/family/work and isolate yourself.  And that's also important.

• Like 6

Testing is necessary, because without it you have no clue as to the extent of the virus spread.

If you test in hospitals, the cases go up. If you widen the testing, the percentage of positive results goes down, and becomes more accurate.

But... by any standard, the US is in deep shlt.

Edited by acute
Gramma
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dustyrose33 said:

https://www.centerforhealthjournalism.org/2020/04/01/why-covid-19-testing-probably-won-t-improve-your-health

I know many peopled are in a panic, wanting to be tested to see if they have the virus.   But as the article states, if your symptoms are mild all they will do is to tell you to stay home, stay hydrated and take Tylenol.   People are crowding waiting rooms to get tested, but that in itself is a vehicle for transmission of the virus.   I can't see sitting in long car lines for testing either.

@Dustyrose33  Hello Dusty, I don't really understand what the purpose of this thread is, because it go's against what the senior medical professionals in the United States and the World are saying. But that is not the real problem, the article you posted is more than 3 months out date, and the opinions expressed are not the views of all the Senior Medical organizations and officials in the US and around the World. The information in the article you posted is false information and theories like this that are floating around, cause people to confuse accurate information, with false information, which only confuses the situation further.

Here are some links for you that will help you understand what I am saying:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-disease/

Here is another article you should read, due to a virus mutation the Virus has become much more highly infectious, and this strain has become the dominate strain world wide.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/worlds-dominant-strain-of-coronavirus-is-10-times-more-infectious-than-the-one-that-jumped-to-humans-in-china-because-it-mutated-so-its-vital-spike-protein-doesnt-snap-as-often-in-the-body-scientists-say/ar-BB167e7l?ocid=spartanntp

Here is link that explains that President Trumps statement that 99% of all people infected never become ill is false:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/07/10/fauci-says-he-hasnt-briefed-trump-two-months-covid-response/5412475002/

Hope this helps 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Where I am, everyone now wears masks indoors and on public transit. If you enter without one, you're given one. Outdoors, you see a mix of people with and without. Even kids are now wearing them (really cute ones with animal prints, but I digress). Our provincial testing capacity is now at 25,000 per day, although people going in for tests number well below that (in spite of the broader testing criteria). And yes (at least here in Ontario) doctors are advising people with even the slightest symptoms to go get tested. I don't know what the criteria for testing is in various states throughout the US and elsewhere in the world, but people need to find out and do what health professionals are asking them to.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

@Dustyrose33  Hello Dusty, I don't really understand what the purpose of this thread is, because it go's against what the senior medical professionals in the United States and the World are saying. But that is not the real problem, the article you posted is more than 3 months out date, and the opinions expressed are not the views of all the Senior Medical organizations and officials in the US and around the World. The information in the article you posted is false information and theories like this that are floating around, cause people to confuse accurate information, with false information, which only confuses the situation further.

Here are some links for you that will help you understand what I am saying:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-disease/

Here is another article you should read, due to a virus mutation the Virus has become much more highly infectious, and this strain has become the dominate strain world wide.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/worlds-dominant-strain-of-coronavirus-is-10-times-more-infectious-than-the-one-that-jumped-to-humans-in-china-because-it-mutated-so-its-vital-spike-protein-doesnt-snap-as-often-in-the-body-scientists-say/ar-BB167e7l?ocid=spartanntp

Here is link that explains that President Trumps statement that 99% of all people infected never become ill is false:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/07/10/fauci-says-he-hasnt-briefed-trump-two-months-covid-response/5412475002/

Hope this helps 

Thank you for the links and the other inputs on this thread.  I'm not even sure why I posed the question about testing, other than guess I've just gotten caught up in all this madness.   Of course testing is needed, but Texas is my home state and this damned virus has so overwhelmed it.   I hate that, because that's the state I grew up in and it hurts.   Sorry I even started this thread, just forget it.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Where I am, everyone now wears masks indoors and on public transit. If you enter without one, you're given one. Outdoors, you see a mix of people with and without. Even kids are now wearing them (really cute ones with animal prints, but I digress). Our provincial testing capacity is now at 25,000 per day, although people going in for tests number well below that (in spite of the broader testing criteria). And yes (at least here in Ontario) doctors are advising people with even the slightest symptoms to go get tested. I don't know what the criteria for testing is in various states throughout the US and elsewhere in the world, but people need to find out and do what health professionals are asking them to.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Donald Trump is to blame for much of the resurgence by encouraging states to reopen.  Now he's thinking about cutting off funds to schools that don't want to reopen, and he's against the schools wanting to place desks 6 feet apart.

This man is a mentally bankrupt buffoon that may be a Russian spy for all we  know.  I believe he hates the US and is out to destroy us.   He says the virus will be gone by end of the year.  How does he know, did he create it?  Maybe so.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Thank you for the links and the other inputs on this thread.  I'm not even sure why I posed the question about testing, other than guess I've just gotten caught up in all this madness.   Of course testing is needed, but Texas is my home state and this damned virus has so overwhelmed it.   I hate that, because that's the state I grew up in and it hurts.   Sorry I even started this thread, just forget it.

Hey my comments were not designed to hurt you, I truly feel your pain and I certainly understand the frustration and the helplessness you feel. But, the best thing we can all do is to stay accurately informed, and that isn't an easy task. By staying accurately informed we can do what is necessary to protect ourselves and most importantly our loved ones. The first thing we must do is remember to not pay any attention to what the politicians are saying especially President Trump, nothing he says concerning this Pandemic can be trusted, I don't know what his agenda is but his comments are dangerous, and they are leading those who beleive him down a very dangerous path.

When you search the internet for information only search for information from medical sources, and make sure it is up to date, many things going on with this Virus are still rapidly changing as new information is compiled. The best sources of information is coming from Dr. Fauci, the CDC, the WHO, and John Hopkins Medical center, along with Medical Organizations like the CDC from other Nations. Now that is not to say that other Medical organizations are wrong, but if they don't agree with the Health Organizations I listed, I would not follow their advise.

If you stay up to date with accurate information much of the fear and frustration will be eliminated and it will help you feel in control and also know how to accurately protect yourself. That's all we can do, and it is the best way to keep ourselves and our families safe, but let me stress again, don't not believe anything being put out by our Politicians or especially by President Trump. He is out of touch with reality concerning this Pandemic, and my comments are not do to hate, they are do to the facts and by doing a little research you will see what I am saying is correct.

If you have any questions or need some information I will help you if I can, so don't hesitate to contact me by pm.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Wearing masks like you said above is the right thing to do, along with social distancing and good hygiene of your hands. When you are out of your home, in the open air without others around you, it is not necessary to where a mask. This Virus isn't Airborne, except in closed non-ventilated areas, they have recently proven that the Virus can linger in the air from an infected person for an hour or more inside buildings so like you said if you are in any public areas with people around a mask is a must. But, making sure it is tightly fitted is also very important. A lose fitting mask is much less effective in public areas, so a properly fitted one is the way to go.

Take Care hope you and family are safe and well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

At least some people are inclined to take it seriously to a whole different level... 

death-stranding-coronavirus-baby-pod.jpg

~

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

In Australia they have drive-in testing centres in the carparks of hospitals that makes transmission to second and third parties very difficult. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

In Australia they have drive-in testing centres in the carparks of hospitals that makes transmission to second and third parties very difficult. 

That's a very good idea, but you forget our handicap in America, you guys have a Crocodile Dundee, and Unforchantly we have a Trump!!!!!!!!:cry::td::D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

At least some people are inclined to take it seriously to a whole different level... 

~

Tell you what, it better to be safe than sorry!!!:D

Oh and by the way, that is a cute baby!!

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

For the record, I'm in Dallas.

I got a Masters' at Texas Tech University and I was a research assistant for Dr. Jack Hayes, professor of Epidemiology.  I have been wearing a mask since January because I knew what was coming, based on what I learned in medical school.  It didn't take a supergenius to see that, only an understanding of epidemics and (once it was clear that groups and states in the US were resisting lockdowns and masks) a little modeling to see where things were going.

In fact, many epidemiologists (if you read the Covid science on Reddit) have said the same thing.

You'll be really tired of this by Christmas, but we'll see surges in August-September, in late November, and through mid-January.  I'm hoping they'll have a vaccine for it or better treatment by then.  We'll see the small rural areas overwhelmed because hospitals are often hours away and hours can be critical when someone's got Covid-19 and is going into crisis.

Be wise, be patient, if you can, limit your public contact.  And don't let the "most people don't have severe symptoms' fool you.

Things will hopefully be better by next summer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

People aren't sitting in waiting rooms to get tested. Most are drive thru option where they never leave their vehicles and only come in contact with someone in protective gear. This is what i did the other day.Other hospitals have area specifically to do tests where they minimize contact.

Even if a lot of people are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms, they could easily spread it to someone who will not be so lucky. It's incredibly selfish and naive to think that testing isn't necessary. There are too many unknowns with this virus to to just say **** it when it comes to testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

People aren't sitting in waiting rooms to get tested. Most are drive thru option where they never leave their vehicles and only come in contact with someone in protective gear. This is what i did the other day.Other hospitals have area specifically to do tests where they minimize contact.

Even if a lot of people are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms, they could easily spread it to someone who will not be so lucky. It's incredibly selfish and naive to think that testing isn't necessary. There are too many unknowns with this virus to to just say **** it when it comes to testing. 

I don't think testing isn't necessary, of course it is.   I think I just got overwhelmed by reading about people waiting for hours and hours in cars, then having to wait weeks for the results.   I saw a video in Austin, Tx where they were asking for a refrigerated trailer to store dead bodies because the funeral home already had 7 or 8 bodies waiting to be processed.   Good grief, what kind of hell are we living in?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

I don't think testing isn't necessary, of course it is.   I think I just got overwhelmed by reading about people waiting for hours and hours in cars, then having to wait weeks for the results.   I saw a video in Austin, Tx where they were asking for a refrigerated trailer to store dead bodies because the funeral home already had 7 or 8 bodies waiting to be processed.   Good grief, what kind of hell are we living in?

There are times that it almost feels like a slow going apocalypse to me. I'm ready for this virus to "F" off!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Of course testing is needed, but Texas is my home state and this damned virus has so overwhelmed it.   I hate that, because that's the state I grew up in and it hurts.   Sorry I even started this thread, just forget it.

Texas is my birth state too.  Don't be sorry you started the thread. Sometimes its good to ask questions even if you know the answer.  It might help clarify and bolster our resolve.   A whole lot of us are feeling near the edge these days, it just goes on and on.  We need the help and positive reinforcement.  

If I may open up a bit.  I am old, My lungs got compromised working in the woods and around sawmills for 20 years.  If I get the virus, it is likely to hit me hard.  I take precautions, I do what I can. I am responsible   Still, it is troublesome.

The thing that hurts me more is the response we see from portions of society. 

Let the old and the sick die off, we don't need them anyway.

Who needs science?

Everybody should get it because we will have "Herd Immunity" 

I'll be damned if I will inconvenience myself even a little to save your life.  I don't care.

Its all political, a scam, a hoax.

Just open the schools, how hard could it be?

The list goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2