Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dancing Lights in the Night Sky

SeekTruth

I wanted to share my experience in order to get some feedback and engage in discussion.  I think it is worth noting from the outset that UFO does not mean E.T. spacecraft.  I don't claim to be able to identify what I saw, but my sighting put to rest my disbelief in aerial phenomenon that exhibits the behavior that is associated with the prototypical UFO. Here is what I saw, in a nut shell:

While camping on a clear starry night several years back, my wife and I observed two lights in the sky that were, for lack of a better descriptor, dancing with one another. If it weren't for their movements, they would have looked exactly as a star looks with the naked eye. We watched intently for a few minutes as they performed graceful motions such as circles and semi circles, as if they were in communication with each other. Then, they both shot off out of sight at great speed in a straight trajectory (in the same direction), one a split second after the other. I was floored! I was a pretty ardent skeptic about the existence of such a phenomenon until I saw it with my own eyes. There is a mystery to be solved.  I can think of no prosaic explanation for what we saw that night. Thoughts? Any similar stories?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I wanted to share my experience in order to get some feedback and engage in discussion.  I think it is worth noting from the outset that UFO does not mean E.T. spacecraft.  I don't claim to be able to identify what I saw, but my sighting put to rest my disbelief in aerial phenomenon that exhibits the behavior that is associated with the prototypical UFO. Here is what I saw, in a nut shell:

While camping on a clear starry night several years back, my wife and I observed two lights in the sky that were, for lack of a better descriptor, dancing with one another. If it weren't for their movements, they would have looked exactly as a star looks with the naked eye. We watched intently for a few minutes as they performed graceful motions such as circles and semi circles, as if they were in communication with each other. Then, they both shot off out of sight at great speed in a straight trajectory (in the same direction), one a split second after the other. I was floored! I was a pretty ardent skeptic about the existence of such a phenomenon until I saw it with my own eyes. There is a mystery to be solved.  I can think of no prosaic explanation for what we saw that night. Thoughts? Any similar stories?

My sister and brother-in law saw similar things years ago while fishing at night. Quick 90 degree turns, movements as you described etc. and they looked like stars, not blinking like fireflies do.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, zep73 said:

My first thought: Fireflies?

Hi! Thanks for chiming in. Not a chance they were fire flies. The lights were steady, and the movements not what you'd see from fireflies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeekTruth said:

Hi! Thanks for chiming in. Not a chance they were fire flies. The lights were steady, and the movements not what you'd see from fireflies.

Any further details you can provide such as as colour, shape, size, position in the sky, etc.?

It's funny. My sister and brother-in-law came over today and I asked them again about the lights. They said the objects looked like stars and even appeared to out in space like the stars. They  did 90 degree turns and other weird stuff. Later, an aircraft flew over and appeared to be lower than the stars. The aircraft took a while to travel across the sky, but before it did, the lights left and went across the night sky at a rate faster than the aircraft, passing it, and were gone.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

I wonder whatever happened to JimmyJet...

OP, I'd suggest you look here, esp. on the second page of a merged thread...:

In summary, not one photo or video of the night sky has ever shown such 'dancing' behavior, except in the form of drone/s or aerial displays.  There are other possible explanations including micro-saccades, and when combined with exaggerated memories....

The other issue is that even with a very basic phone camera, it would be quite easy to record such behavior.  Until that happens, I think the mundane explanations must rule....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

Were there perhaps thin clouds that night?... Im thinking laserlights from the ground. 

20 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

Many years ago I was sitting outside on a clear night on some property in the Texas Hill Country.    I saw what looked like a star, but it was moving, then stopped and shot straight up out of sight.   So yes, I saw something similar but it was alone.   What it was I don't know, but doubt it was something of this world.

• Like 1

I think it is some kind of insect during mating session. What insect i? don't really know. A bird can seem to fly faster than a jet, because the bird is closer to the ground. And the jet has to travel more across the sky.

22 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Any further details you can provide such as as colour, shape, size, position in the sky, etc.?

No discernible color. Looked like stars, except for the motion.  They were straight overhead. No reference points by which to gauge size and distance.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

In summary, not one photo or video of the night sky has ever shown such 'dancing' behavior, except in the form of drone/s or aerial displays.  There are other possible explanations including micro-saccades, and when combined with exaggerated memories....

The other issue is that even with a very basic phone camera, it would be quite easy to record such behavior.  Until that happens, I think the mundane explanations must rule....

Well, I can confidently rule out the auto-kinetic effect, since the two lights were moving against a background of stationary stars.

I can also rule out a false or exaggerated memory, as I had another witness and we both intently observed the phenomenon for the course of a few minutes.

I'm all for a mundane explanation, but I've yet to hear a convincing one. What mundane explanation do you propose?

As for photos/videos, I did not have a camera handy, and if I did, I doubt it would have caught it.  Perhaps with a better camera, I don't know (not my area of expertise). There are indeed videos out there that depict similar behavior, but I'm in no position to affirm or deny their authenticity or what they are depicting.  Do you know of any drones that can dart off in the manner I described?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Were there perhaps thin clouds that night?... Im thinking laserlights from the ground. 

No clouds, and no beam ascending to the sky. 

3 hours ago, MissJatti said:

I think it is some kind of insect during mating session. What insect i? don't really know. A bird can seem to fly faster than a jet, because the bird is closer to the ground. And the jet has to travel more across the sky.

I am aware of no insect that has the properties these lights had or that moves in the manner they did.

2 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

I can also rule out a false or exaggerated memory, as I had another witness

An unrelated witness, or a partner / friend?   There's this thing called empathy.. and the desire to share 'experiences'...

As for photos/videos, I did not have a camera handy, and if I did, I doubt it would have caught it.  Perhaps with a better camera, I don't know (not my area of expertise).

The thread I linked to has info on how to do it.  Essentially, put the camera into movie mode, and 'low-light' or 'night' mode if it has such.  Then lean the camera/yourself against something to stabilise it, and try to angle the camera so it includes some background (eg trees, a mountain, the edge of a house or roof of a car) if possible.  Don't ever use digital zoom, and continue shooting until the object vanishes or your battery runs out..

Thing is, if something weird is in the sky, there is a good likelihood that others will also see it, and someone will capture it.  But that's never happened.  Also, you say it was a clear starry night...  I'm guessing by the lack of any other details, you are not familiar with the night sky, otherwise you could have given us some reference information, eg that the objects were near Arcturus, and they were say, twice as bright as Sirius.  At the time, it might have been worth your time to track down the nearest astronomy club to ask if any of their members were photographing the sky that night.  You'd be surprised how many folks run all-night sky cams.  Again, these are the folks that surely should have, by now, captured this behavior if it has happened more than once across the globe.  If it did happen only once, then the chances of positively identifying it (especially to your satisfaction!) are very low, and there is nothing much anyone can do to further help.

There are indeed videos out there that depict similar behavior

??  Please link to the best one in your opinion.

.. but I'm in no position to affirm or deny their authenticity or what they are depicting.

As a bit of a photography buff, I'm happy to help you along that path.

Do you know of any drones that can dart off in the manner I described?

Yes.  Most of the ones that aren't in the 'cheap' bracket.  And both the distance to the object and the angle of view makes a huge difference in regard to how fast it appears to be going.. 

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

An unrelated witness, or a partner / friend?   There's this thing called empathy.. and the desire to share 'experiences'...

The thread I linked to has info on how to do it.  Essentially, put the camera into movie mode, and 'low-light' or 'night' mode if it has such.  Then lean the camera/yourself against something to stabilise it, and try to angle the camera so it includes some background (eg trees, a mountain, the edge of a house or roof of a car) if possible.  Don't ever use digital zoom, and continue shooting until the object vanishes or your battery runs out..

Thing is, if something weird is in the sky, there is a good likelihood that others will also see it, and someone will capture it.  But that's never happened.  Also, you say it was a clear starry night...  I'm guessing by the lack of any other details, you are not familiar with the night sky, otherwise you could have given us some reference information, eg that the objects were near Arcturus, and they were say, twice as bright as Sirius.  At the time, it might have been worth your time to track down the nearest astronomy club to ask if any of their members were photographing the sky that night.  You'd be surprised how many folks run all-night sky cams.  Again, these are the folks that surely should have, by now, captured this behavior if it has happened more than once across the globe.  If it did happen only once, then the chances of positively identifying it (especially to your satisfaction!) are very low, and there is nothing much anyone can do to further help.

??  Please link to the best one in your opinion.

As a bit of a photography buff, I'm happy to help you along that path.

Yes.  Most of the ones that aren't in the 'cheap' bracket.  And both the distance to the object and the angle of view makes a huge difference in regard to how fast it appears to be going.. 

Thanks for your response, ChrLzs,and thank you for the pointers on photography. Unfortunately, I don't think my cell phone (iphone 6s) has the features you describe. Or does it? It would be great to be able to capture the night sky with enough clarity that the moving lights I saw could be discerned. And thank you for your tip on taking note of the position of the lights in the night sky and contacting local astronomy clubs to see if they were photographing that region of the sky. That is very sound advice and I will certainly do that if I'm fortunate enough to see it again.

As I said, it was my wife who saw it alongside of me.  She was the first to see a moving light, and directed my attention towards it. It took me a minute or so, but I was able to see exactly what she was describing. I then noticed the other light and pointed it out to her. We both had clear minds (not under the influence of drugs, alcohol or the power of suggestion) and we intently and carefully observed the "theatrics" in the sky. Yes, I know what empathy is, and I don't think you need to resort to snide remarks to make your point.  What I saw that night had nothing to do with desire and had everything to do with accepting what was right before my eyes. As a skeptic who makes critical thinking central to my worldview, I see no reason whatsoever to reduce my observation to wishful thinking, empathy or manipulation, and every reason to conclude that I actually saw what I remember seeing. 

As for videos, I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find something that closely approximates what I saw. I'm curious, though, as to what criteria you would employ in determining that a video is not a fake. Again, not my area of expertise.

You said: "And both the distance to the object and the angle of view makes a huge difference in regard to how fast it appears to be going."

Understood, and I understand that I had no reference points by which to gauge the distance of the lights. That said, I ought to share more details. The lights shot off in the same direction in a straight line and were gone from my sight in a fraction of a second.  What drone do you know of that can move like that? Thanks for the chat.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, ChrLzs,and thank you for the pointers on photography. Unfortunately, I don't think my cell phone (iphone 6s) has the features you describe.

You don't have a lot of flexibility with the IP 6, but it does have a video mode and the lens, sensor and autofocus are good-to-passable..  Just by using video mode and keeping it very steady, you may capture faint lines of the moving objects.  Certainly worth a try.  Next time.. :D 

It would be great to be able to capture the night sky with enough clarity that the moving lights I saw could be discerned.

Thing is, within say 15 miles of wherever you were, there were probably a couple of amateur astronomers, or others who have better camera equipment.  Where I live, admittedly in the far outer suburbs of a city, there are at least 4 amateur astronomers within 10 miles, some of which have some stunningly good equipment, and they are often doing lengthy time exposures - why aren't any of the thousands of similar astronomers around the globe capturing these things?  If you claim they are (and you sorta did!) you need to pony up with some citations, and then I'll be happy to address them in detail.  Or, if they are truly convincing I'll accept that the phenomenon does exist....  Until then.. nah.

And thank you for your tip on taking note of the position of the lights in the night sky and contacting local astronomy clubs to see if they were photographing that region of the sky. That is very sound advice and I will certainly do that if I'm fortunate enough to see it again.

Also, the police, local media and meteorological stations are all happy to investigate (or explain or take reports of) unidentified aerial phenomena.  It might be of grave importance to aircraft.

As I said, it was my wife who saw it alongside of me.  She was the first to see a moving light, and directed my attention towards it. It took me a minute or so, but I was able to see exactly what she was describing.

A minute or so?  It must have been very dim, as usually moving lights in the sky stick out like the proverbial canine's gonads...

I then noticed the other light and pointed it out to her. We both had clear minds (not under the influence of drugs, alcohol or the power of suggestion) and we intently and carefully observed the "theatrics" in the sky. Yes, I know what empathy is, and I don't think you need to resort to snide remarks to make your point.

It's not snide at all.  People are empathetic by nature and will often humour someone, especially if the subject seems harmless.  What's more important is that such 'memories' can easily be shuffled by your mind into the "this really happened" filing cabinet, including exaggerations from re-tellings.  ALL humans do that.

Just ask your grampa about his war exploits....(yes, I had a grampa like that...)

What I saw that night had nothing to do with desire and had everything to do with accepting what was right before my eyes.

So your memories are telling you.  :D  You could also be a troll - I'm not saying you are, but you've only got a story and have no evidence...  People do post stuff for s & g's, so here at UM we try to get to the evidenced stuff.   From my own viewpoint I don't expect any credibility from anyone here until I've proved myself.  That's why I explain stuff in detail, and show pictures that I have taken eg here, and do the maths required to prove what I say, beyond most doubts...

I'm not what I'd call an amateur astronomer, but I do own a small but good telescope and know my winter and summer sky and what satellites and the ISS and aircraft / traffic choppers and sky lanterns and drones and meteors (etc) look like and can do.  I also know photography and videography and photogrammetry *very* well.  I also have an extensive knowledge of aeronautics, and thus what might be called 'ufology'. (Yes, my only fault is modesty..)  As a kid I was fascinated by UFO claims, and have, over the years, spent a lot of time applying science and knowledge in order to get closer to the truth, namely that yes there are a few unidentified phenomena, but not many (and shrinking fast) and there is zero evidence of extra terrestrial life visiting us... 

As a skeptic who makes critical thinking central to my worldview, I see no reason whatsoever to reduce my observation to wishful thinking, empathy or manipulation, and every reason to conclude that I actually saw what I remember seeing.

Don't you think you should expand that worldly and sensible view, to what the claim looks like to an outsider? - we outsiders have not only not seen whatever you claim to, we are also waiting for ANYONE, anywhere to provide such a claim with supporting evidence..

And don't you also think you should also consider human psychology and the flaws in human perceptions and memories?  And then ask yourself if it is wise to trust your memories so unquestioningly?  I don't trust mine.

As for videos, I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find something that closely approximates what I saw. I'm curious, though, as to what criteria you would employ in determining that a video is not a fake. Again, not my area of expertise.

It's not usually a case of the video being faked, so much as the person who took it doing a lousy job and misidentifying something as well as shaking the camera around and mistaking that for subject movement...  I'll elaborate if you provide examples, but I think you have probably seen such drivel...  In regard to true fakery, eg the dreaded 'photoshopping' or use of programs like Blender and After Effects, there are many ways to uncover fraudulent videos.  (Google "Captain Disillusion" on Youtube).

And there's one really important and rather simple way to check for editing ... that is to ask for access to the original footage on original media.  If we ever get a video that is worthy of investigation, that's what I'd be asking for - that they take it to an independent testing lab for initial verification.  I don't think we've ever got that far.... Yes, that's how bad 'ufology' has gone downhill over the years, despite the fact that nowadays every Tom, Lucy and Fido has a camera with them at all times...

You said: "And both the distance to the object and the angle of view makes a huge difference in regard to how fast it appears to be going."
Understood, and I understand that I had no reference points by which to gauge the distance of the lights. That said, I ought to share more details. The lights shot off in the same direction in a straight line and were gone from my sight in a fraction of a second.  What drone do you know of that can move like that?

A quite close one, illuminated locally (eg by a campfire).  Its angular velocity will be very high as it is close and it doesn't have to go far to cover a large angle, and it will rapidly fade and become invisible.  Or a reasonably close firefly or two

Thanks for the chat.

Ditto. Sorry to be an annoying type, but reality is .. reality.  Memories really don't cut it.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

That's why I explain stuff in detail, and show pictures that I have taken eg here,

gallery_95887_37_42378.jpg

Whatever you say, Buzz! :whistle:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

gallery_95887_37_42378.jpg

Whatever you say, Buzz! :whistle:

OK, I was going to reword that - I meant to say "some photos I have taken, and some posted for analysis"...

But hey, I could have taken that shot had I been there, and I would have straightened it a bit... :D

From the same page - here is one of mine, ontopic!

gallery_95887_14_10722.jpg

(That streak is the ISS passing by)

ADDED - A small nitpick... that NASA image above is of James Irwin, and was taken by David Scott, mission commander of Apollo 15.  Buzz Aldrin was not involved... :D

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

ADDED - A small nitpick... that NASA image above is of James Irwin, and was taken by David Scott, mission commander of Apollo 15.  Buzz Aldrin was not involved... :D

Well that's a buzz kill. Totally ruins my joke.

Shame on me... :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Thing is, within say 15 miles of wherever you were, there were probably a couple of amateur astronomers, or others who have better camera equipment.  Where I live, admittedly in the far outer suburbs of a city, there are at least 4 amateur astronomers within 10 miles, some of which have some stunningly good equipment, and they are often doing lengthy time exposures - why aren't any of the thousands of similar astronomers around the globe capturing these things?  If you claim they are (and you sorta did!) you need to pony up with some citations, and then I'll be happy to address them in detail.  Or, if they are truly convincing I'll accept that the phenomenon does exist....  Until then.. nah.

Well, I'm not at all well-versed in astronomy, but I'm very interested in it and am glad to be talking to you. Take a look at this:

http://www.nicap.org/papers/jse_08_1_sturrock.pdf

This tidbit caught my attention:

"2 respondents independently described what appeared to be a searchlight playing on a cloud when there were no clouds in the sky"

7 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Also, the police, local media and meteorological stations are all happy to investigate (or explain or take reports of) unidentified aerial phenomena.  It might be of grave importance to aircraft.

I'll keep that in mind for next time, if there's a next time, though I'm not optimistic about getting an answer.

A minute or so?  It must have been very dim, as usually moving lights in the sky stick out like the proverbial canine's gonads...

No dimmer than most of the stars that night. Perhaps I'm just not as keen an observer as you. Given your knowledge of the sky, I'd bet you would have seen them in less time.

It's not snide at all.  People are empathetic by nature and will often humour someone, especially if the subject seems harmless.  What's more important is that such 'memories' can easily be shuffled by your mind into the "this really happened" filing cabinet, including exaggerations from re-tellings.  ALL humans do that.

Just ask your grampa about his war exploits....(yes, I had a grampa like that...)

Yes, memory can be unreliable. Indeed, memory is necessarily changing in time. Yet, we all daily rely on our memories for a great many things. So the question is, can we be reasonably sure that details of memory is likely accurate? Yes, of course we can. I have no reason whatsoever to think that this particular memory is inaccurate and every reason to think it is basically accurate. Again, I (and my wife) were of clear mind and very carefully observed the lights for the few minutes that we were able to watch them. Yes, it was a most extraordinary event to witness, which made the experience even more memorable than most. And again, empathy has nothing to do with what I saw. 

So your memories are telling you.  :D  You could also be a troll - I'm not saying you are, but you've only got a story and have no evidence...  People do post stuff for s & g's, so here at UM we try to get to the evidenced stuff.   From my own viewpoint I don't expect any credibility from anyone here until I've proved myself.  That's why I explain stuff in detail, and show pictures that I have taken eg here, and do the maths required to prove what I say, beyond most doubts...

As I noted above, I am not submitting my story as evidence. I'm submitting it for discussion.

I'm not what I'd call an amateur astronomer, but I do own a small but good telescope and know my winter and summer sky and what satellites and the ISS and aircraft / traffic choppers and sky lanterns and drones and meteors (etc) look like and can do.  I also know photography and videography and photogrammetry *very* well.  I also have an extensive knowledge of aeronautics, and thus what might be called 'ufology'. (Yes, my only fault is modesty..)  As a kid I was fascinated by UFO claims, and have, over the years, spent a lot of time applying science and knowledge in order to get closer to the truth, namely that yes there are a few unidentified phenomena, but not many (and shrinking fast) and there is zero evidence of extra terrestrial life visiting us... 

We are on the same page here, save for the fact that you have more knowledge of the night sky and photography/videography/photogrammatry. Please keep in mind that I am a skeptical thinker.

Don't you think you should expand that worldly and sensible view, to what the claim looks like to an outsider? - we outsiders have not only not seen whatever you claim to, we are also waiting for ANYONE, anywhere to provide such a claim with supporting evidence..

Yes, indeed! I was "an outsider" until I saw what I saw. As a philosophy major, one paper I wrote was essentially a debunking of the UFO phenomenon. I understand the need for evidence, no less so now than then (even more so now than then). Again, I have no evidence to convince you and others of my story. But I do have evidence to convince me - my own sighting. That does nothing for you, of course. But it changed my mind on the matter. What would you think had you seen what I saw?

And don't you also think you should also consider human psychology and the flaws in human perceptions and memories?  And then ask yourself if it is wise to trust your memories so unquestioningly?  I don't trust mine.

Human psychology is one of my favorite subjects, especially perception and memory! Of course I consider such things! And I most certainly question my memories. This particular memory, aside from being corroborated by another, was recorded that night in my wife's journal. Do you trust any of your memories? (I think so!)

A quite close one, illuminated locally (eg by a campfire). 

The light of the objects (assuming they were indeed objects) were most certainly not reflections of the campfire. 

Its angular velocity will be very high as it is close and it doesn't have to go far to cover a large angle, and it will rapidly fade and become invisible.

Assuming these were drones, it remains to be explained how they could:
a. take off in a straight trajectory parallel to one another 
b. Disappear in a fraction of a second.

If they were as close to me as it seems you are suggesting (perhaps I'm misunderstanding you), then they would have been visible for far longer than a split second.

Or a reasonably close firefly or two

:rolleyes: They weren't fireflies. See my previous response to that suggestion.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, SeekTruth said:

Welcome to forum.

I have seen something similar to what you describe but it was always in groups of 3 (3, 6, 9) and they made geometric shapes in the sky.  At one point one set of three looked like they were shooting light beams at each other to make a triangle light in the sky.   I don't think they were aliens from outer space, but they also weren't air force jets.  The ones I saw always started over the White Sands base where Reagan's star wars project was being developed or tested.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 11:58 AM, zep73 said:

My first thought: Fireflies?

Fireflies don't look like stars.

• Like 2