Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Covid Parties

Dustyrose33

6 hours ago, Big Jim said:

You must be right.  There's no record of anyone ever acting stupid before Trump was elected.

I don't know.  I remember when Bush jr. was president, and after his two terms ran out, when things would go wrong in the world a lot of people on message boards would say "Bush did it".  (lol).

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

I don't know.  I remember when Bush jr. was president, and after his two terms ran out, when things would go wrong in the world a lot of people on message boards would say "Bush did it".  (lol).

I seem to recall Obama saying that for about 8 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big Jim said:

You must be right.  There's no record of anyone ever acting stupid before Trump was elected.

Point taken, but do you understand the difference between doing something stupid that kills only you, and doing something stupid that infects other people.

Fall off a cliff while taking the perfect selfie, and you're dead.

Wrap a fast car around a light pole and you're dead along with the other people in the car.

Catch a highly infectious disease and infect the people around you who infect their families who infect their relatives and friends...and before long you're responsible for infecting hundreds of people, maybe thousands. And some of those people will die.

I understand American pride in individualism - sure, you go and do what you want, that's your right - I get it. But COVID-19 is different - your actions have consequences for potentially thousands of other people. And part of the problem is that people are probably spreading the disease without realising they're infectious.

That's why wearing a mask is so important, and why it's good to see President Trump setting the example of wearing a mask. The more people who wear masks, the more slowly the disease will spread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, susieice said:

All three of my kids had the measles, mumps and rubella vaccination but the one for chicken pox wasn't out yet. All three of them got it in school. My oldest one had it first then about two years later the other two, within three weeks of each other. It was horrible. My daughter got really sick. Thank God she wasn't scarred. 

I have pox scars on my back, and legs. They only show when I get tanned. The look like small bullet scars. I show them to anti-vaxers when ever I can. The always state, "well you survived", till I start naming my childhood friends who suddenly stopped going to school because they were dead. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

I have pox scars on my back, and legs. They only show when I get tanned. The look like small bullet scars. I show them to anti-vaxers when ever I can. The always state, "well you survived", till I start naming my childhood friends who suddenly stopped going to school because they were dead. 

My brother in law had scars on his face. He always wore a beard to cover them.

• Sad 2

On 7/12/2020 at 4:56 AM, diddyman68 said:

I never attended any pox parties,but i still caught everything as a kid.

Chicken pox was the worst,ahhg the itchiness.measles,german measles,and shingles were ok.

Mumps was mainly awkward,as everybody laughed at my swollen face.

The worst feeling disease was a horrendous dose of man flu a few years ago.

Dang, I forgot about the german measles. Never got shingles though. Glad you made it relatively unscathed. With some kids, the dead were the lucky ones. I still see older people my age with horrendous scarring on their faces, and probably elsewhere on their bodies. My brothers, and I were the lucky ones, considering six brothers increases the chances of serious problems. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hankenhunter said:

If I had to guess, it was so they had some kind of control. In a weird way it kind of worked. My mother got my five brothers, and I exposed, and then immediately quarantined us from school for each virus. It was weird though going to a friends house, expecting a party, instead being told to go play with our sick friend, who really wasn't interested in playing. 100% infection rate in all of us. Mumps was the worst. Like gargling with razor blades. Measles were itchy, and mom taped mitts on us to keep us fromv cratching. Chicken pox was lots of puking, and scratching. Good times. 

The thing is that most folks didn't realize back then that some viruses can stay dormant in your body for years and then cause other problems. 

COVID-19 is too new for us to have any idea about the long term consequences of it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

My brother in law had scars on his face. He always wore a beard to cover them.

My mother, bless her, told me I'd get "crater face" if I kept scratching. Her brother got it about the same time, and his face was scarred badly.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Point taken, but do you understand the difference between doing something stupid that kills only you, and doing something stupid that infects other people.

Fall off a cliff while taking the perfect selfie, and you're dead.

Wrap a fast car around a light pole and you're dead along with the other people in the car.

Catch a highly infectious disease and infect the people around you who infect their families who infect their relatives and friends...and before long you're responsible for infecting hundreds of people, maybe thousands. And some of those people will die.

I understand American pride in individualism - sure, you go and do what you want, that's your right - I get it. But COVID-19 is different - your actions have consequences for potentially thousands of other people. And part of the problem is that people are probably spreading the disease without realising they're infectious.

That's why wearing a mask is so important, and why it's good to see President Trump setting the example of wearing a mask. The more people who wear masks, the more slowly the disease will spread.

I understand and you understand and everyone on here seems to understand.  But stupid people don't understand.  It has nothing to do with Trump, stupidity predates him by several millennia.  It's not as if stupid people categorize their actions the way you have.  They don't make a list of things that only affect them and some that affect others.  In fact their actions usually indicate no forethought at all, beyond yelling out "hey y'all, watch this".  Infecting people isn't the only way they affect others.  I'm sure many a building has been burned down or flooded by doing things that most people wouldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

You mean like this?

EcsVEG8WsAANii9.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

You mean like this?

EcsVEG8WsAANii9.jpeg

Yes, and this:

image.png.aa148962cf2cecad61e703617ee16456.png

As I've said elsewhere, he's now been seen in public with a mask on. I'd like to think it will make mask-wearing more acceptable among his supporters (and by anyone who doesn't like Trump and doesn't want to be outdone by him).

I think most people know I'm no fan of Trump, but if the object is to reduce the spread of COVID-19 then it isn't helpful to mock Trump when he does what medical experts have been asking people to do.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter B said:

Yes, and this:

As I've said elsewhere, he's now been seen in public with a mask on. I'd like to think it will make mask-wearing more acceptable among his supporters (and by anyone who doesn't like Trump and doesn't want to be outdone by him).

I think most people know I'm no fan of Trump, but if the object is to reduce the spread of COVID-19 then it isn't helpful to mock Trump when he does what medical experts have been asking people to do.

It's not helpful if he's an example to his followers who are already flaunting his flawed usage of a mask. This is how they will wear it to stick it to the libs. He's still purposely encouraging to rebel.

55 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Dang, I forgot about the german measles. Never got shingles though. Glad you made it relatively unscathed. With some kids, the dead were the lucky ones. I still see older people my age with horrendous scarring on their faces, and probably elsewhere on their bodies. My brothers, and I were the lucky ones, considering six brothers increases the chances of serious problems. 

Isn't Rubella what they now call the german measles? I thought it was. You can get shingles at any time after you've had chicken pox but it's usually not until you're older. There's a vaccine for that too now.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I understand and you understand and everyone on here seems to understand.  But stupid people don't understand.  It has nothing to do with Trump, stupidity predates him by several millennia.  It's not as if stupid people categorize their actions the way you have.  They don't make a list of things that only affect them and some that affect others.  In fact their actions usually indicate no forethought at all, beyond yelling out "hey y'all, watch this".  Infecting people isn't the only way they affect others.  I'm sure many a building has been burned down or flooded by doing things that most people wouldn't.

Okay, point taken again. I've conflated two separate issues.

On the one hand, yes, stupid is stupid, like the people at these COVID parties.

But then there are the people who've consciously chosen to not wear masks (and hassle people who do wear them), which I understand are more likely to be Trump supporters than otherwise. As I said before, I'd like to think that when these non-mask-wearing people see the President wear a mask in public then they'll be more likely to wear a mask themselves. And that can only help slow the spread of the disease.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, susieice said:

but the one for chicken pox wasn't out yet.

I was exposed to chicken pox from my sister's kids.  I was 28 and it was MISERABLE...

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

It's not helpful if he's an example to his followers who are already flaunting his flawed usage of a mask. This is how they will wear it to stick it to the libs. He's still purposely encouraging to rebel.

*shrug*

It's a start.

Maybe next week he'll keep it over his nose, and his followers will do the same.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter B said:

*shrug*

It's a start.

Maybe next week he'll keep it over his nose, and his followers will do the same.

Outrageous flattering might help. I see you point though, and bow to your mature post. 

23 minutes ago, and then said:

I was exposed to chicken pox from my sister's kids.  I was 28 and it was MISERABLE...

Yup, adults had it much worse than the kids did. I really feel what you must have went through. 

Yes, and this:

At the grocery store I saw someone wearing a mask that said Vote for Trump 

Well I'm glad to see Trump wear a mask.  Maybe more will wear one and the US will begin to get covid 19 under control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter B said:

which I understand are more likely to be Trump supporters than otherwise.

I'm curious as to what leads you to that understanding.   I support our President and I wear a mask.  Did so before the governor and a few mayors made it mandatory.  I live in a heavily Trump supporting area, where Trump signs sprout like wildflowers, and everywhere I go most people are wearing masks.  The only exception I've seen is at a flea market where almost no one was wearing them.  So, since the evidence I see daily would never lead me to that conclusion, I'm wondering how you are able to identify non-mask wearers as Trump supporters.  Are there regional differences among us?  Are Ohio Trump supporters fundamentally different than Iowa Trump supporters?  How many do you really see in Canberra?

Funnily enough, the guy who sits nearest me when we're in the office is a big Trump fan, but he's probably the only one in the office.

But my view has been formed by watching news, reading articles, reading what people have said here and on other forums. Certainly on this forum skepticism about the virus in various ways (it's a WHO conspiracy, the numbers are being inflated, the disease isn't dangerous, the vaccine is a money-grab, and so on) have come from Trump supporters.

Not particularly scientific, but this article quotes a survey which appears to back this up: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/507051-gallup-poll-democrats-women-more-likely-to-wear-masks

... mask-wearing remains a political issue, with 94 percent of Democrats stating that they “always” or “very often” wear masks when outside their homes, compared to 46 percent of Republicans who said the same. 

Gallup aren't reliable, self-reporting isn't reliable, can't believe Democrats.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, the guy who sits nearest me when we're in the office is a big Trump fan, but he's probably the only one in the office.

But my view has been formed by watching news, reading articles, reading what people have said here and on other forums. Certainly on this forum skepticism about the virus in various ways (it's a WHO conspiracy, the numbers are being inflated, the disease isn't dangerous, the vaccine is a money-grab, and so on) have come from Trump supporters.

Not particularly scientific, but this article quotes a survey which appears to back this up: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/507051-gallup-poll-democrats-women-more-likely-to-wear-masks

Gallup aren't reliable, self-reporting isn't reliable, can't believe Democrats.

That explains it.

10 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

That explains it.

Any thoughts on the survey?

3 hours ago, Peter B said:

Any thoughts on the survey?

Nah, I don't put much stock in surveys.  If they were good reflections of behavior Hillary would be President.  But I do have some questions about your Trump supporting co-worker.  Is he an idiot?  Drools a lot?  Racist?   White supremacist?   Do you and he get along, maybe have lunch together?  Obviously, I'm assuming the answer is no to the first few questions.  My point is, why not judge Trump supporters by what you know rather than what you hear or read?