Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Patient pictures 'ghost' roaming hospital

53 posts in this topic

Eldorado

"A hospital patient was given the fright of her life after unknowingly snapping a photo of a dark life-like shadow she believes is a ghost.

"The photograph was taken on the fourth floor at Royal Derby Hospital and has now been passed to Burton medium Ian Griffiths, who believes it is the spirit of a man - and one of many spooky apparitions people have seen walking the hospital corridors."

Full story at the Derby Telegraph UK: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/petrified-patient-pictures-ghost-roaming-4313066

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kittens Are Jerks

I've spent a great deal of time volunteering in hospital overnight and have seen more shadowy figures than I can count. Lights are dimmed in late evening and hospitals become eerily quiet as most patients are aleep and medical staff have their chatter on low volume. In spite of the quiet, there's still a fair amount of movement as staff continue to care for patients. The night lighting casts shadows all over the place and I can understand why some might get spooked by them. But they're just that — shadows (or possibly a real person caught in bad lighting). It's unfortunate (but not surprising) that the photo in the article is so blurred, but at first glance it appears like a person holding a clipboard or something. It could even be a piece of equipment and not human at all. Hard to tell with such apoor quality image.

• Like 7

XenoFish

Too blurry to tell what's going on. Kinda looks like someone's consoling another person to me. 

• Like 2

acute

It's obvious to me that hospitals are the best places to see ghosts.

I never understood the cemetery thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

papageorge1
Posted (edited)

My quick appraisal:

I believe hospital are hotspots of paranormal activity. 

This photo is disappointing in level of detail and could be something else.

Other alleged ghostly incidents in the hospital.

Does resemble other shadowy figures I've seen captured

Papameter 2.0 Reading

60% Paranormal   40% Normal

Confidence Level: Low

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

acute
3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Papameter 2.0 Reading

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

acute
4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

60% Paranormal   40% Normal

Confidence Level: Low

Can't you develop an algorithm that factors the Confidence Level into the Papameter Reading?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kittens Are Jerks
19 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

More like a good faked ghost pic. Actually, it's not even that as it's too obvious a fake.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Kittens Are Jerks
10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe hospital are hotspots of paranormal activity. 

They're not. But long exhausting shifts, little sleep, missed meals, high stress levels, and you start seeing all kinds of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

papageorge1
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, acute said:

Can't you develop an algorithm that factors the Confidence Level into the Papameter Reading?

The 'Confidence Factor' is a rating of the quantity of information considered

Edited by papageorge1

acute
2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The 'Confidence Factor' is rating of the quantity of information considered

• Haha 1

acute

(I'm lost for words)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

papageorge1
7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

They're not. 

I believe after decades of interest in the paranormal that hospitals, insane asylums, old prisons, old battlefields and other areas of high human tragedy and drama indeed are often hotspots for paranormal activity. 

Of course if you don't believe in the existence of the paranormal at all there can be no such things as a hotspot.

10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

But long exhausting shifts, little sleep, missed meals, high stress levels, and you start seeing all kinds of things.

Factors to consider too.

• Thanks 1

Kittens Are Jerks
20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe after decades of interest in the paranormal that hospitals, insane asylums, old prisons, old battlefields and other areas of high human tragedy and drama indeed are often hotspots for paranormal activity. 

In the US, home is now the most common place of death. In Canada, more deaths occur in hospital that at home, but not by a large percentage. So then, why are hospitals considered hotspots, and millions of homes not? Indeed, given the billions of deaths over the years, why isn't the entire planet a hotspot?

• Thanks 2

papageorge1
Just now, Kittens Are Jerks said:

In the US, home is now the most common place of death. In Canada, more deaths occur in hospital that at home, but not by a large percentage. So then, why are hospitals considered hotspots, and millions of homes not? Indeed, given the billions of deaths over the years, why isn't the entire planet a hotspot?

Paranormal activity can happen anywhere. Hospitals are one place with an order of magnitude greater concentration of high trauma and deaths.

• Like 1

jethrofloyd

This picture is too blurry .Almost 'Bigfoot blurry' quality. Impossible to tell what's going on.

• Like 2

freetoroam

Why is she using her phone in the hospital? Do they not have those signs telling people not to like most hodpitals do?

What do they mean by unknowingly?

What is scary is there are no staff about and the patients are roaming about taking pictures with their phones.

• Like 3

Stiff
20 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

What is scary is there are no staff about.

This is why...

door+trick.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

freetoroam
45 minutes ago, Stiff said:

This is why...

door+trick.gif

Jeeze, no wonder they run out of bed sheets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

moonman

Blurry crap not even seen at the time the photo was taken. Could be anything, complete garbage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kittens Are Jerks
10 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Why is she using her phone in the hospital? Do they not have those signs telling people not to like most hodpitals do?

Phones are allowed in hospitals (the old cellphones from days gone by were the ones not allowed). What's not allowed, however, is taking photos. Yeah sure you can take photos in a hospital room of a family member, but you cannot take photos of other patients, staff, or common areas, etc. 

10 hours ago, freetoroam said:

What is scary is there are no staff about and the patients are roaming about taking pictures with their phones.

Patients wander about all the time and it's not unusual to see empty corridors (traffic is in and out all the time).

Kittens Are Jerks
16 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Paranormal activity can happen anywhere. Hospitals are one place with an order of magnitude greater concentration of high trauma and deaths.

If paranormal activity can happen anywhere, then it should be happening everywhere as practically the entire planet is a hot spot of trauma and deaths.

• Thanks 1

papageorge1
1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

If paranormal activity can happen anywhere, then it should be happening everywhere as practically the entire planet is a hot spot of trauma and deaths.

Not seeing where we disagree. It does seem to pretty much happen everywhere with some places more concentrated in quantity because of the more dramatic history there. 

Kittens Are Jerks
Just now, papageorge1 said:

Not seeing where we disagree. It does seem to pretty much happen everywhere with some places more concentrated in quantity because of the more dramatic history there. 

We disagree because I don't see it happening everywhere, or anywhere, for that matter.  I don't wish to start a debate, but do think many people have a fear (perhaps also a superstitious one) when it comes to hospitals. Whilst places of pain, suffering and death, hospitals are also places of joy, laughter and life.

I have been volunteering in the hospital where my mom works since I was 15 (almost 10 years now) and not once noticed anything out of the ordinary. Nor have I ever heard any talk of hauntings. But there's a ghost story I've heard of from another hospital here in Toronto that I really like (even though I don't believe it). It has to do with sightings of Sister Vincenza at St. Michael's. She passed away in 1958 and has supposedly appeared in the hospital numerous times since then (faceless, dressed all in white) so that she could place blankets on new mothers.