Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Peter B

Hagia Sophia now a mosque

Peter B

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-11/turkey-president-formally-makes-hagia-sophia-a-mosque/12445516

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has formally reconverted Istanbul's iconic sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a high court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Davros of Skaro

• Thanks 1

Tatetopa

Glad I got to see it when it was still a museum.  There is a 1000+ year old runic inscription carved in a marble stair rail up on the second floor  that seems to read "Halfdan wrote these runes" or "Halfdan was here."  Something to that effect.  Varangian  maybe?

• Like 3

Peter B
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Glad I got to see it when it was still a museum.  There is a 1000+ year old runic inscription carved in a marble stair rail up on the second floor  that seems to read "Halfdan wrote these runes" or "Halfdan was here."  Something to that effect.  Varangian  maybe?

Yes, probably carved by a bored Viking while doing guard duty on the Emperor... (just guessing!).

I would have loved to see the art work. Byzantine mosaics are beautiful enough in photos. Seeing them for real (both religious and secular) would have been spectacular. Let's hope they aren't damaged or destroyed.

• Like 2

and then
1 hour ago, Peter B said:

Let's hope they aren't damaged or destroyed.

It's pretty easy to predict that this is exactly what will happen to any artifacts or artworks that relate to Christianity.  The new Sultan will demand it.  Erdog is a radical Islamic Fundamentalist and before he dies, he will gut Turkey and cause great suffering to its people.

• Like 3

Orphalesion

Well crap...

I'd say Atatrurk is rolling in his grave, but I'm pretty sure since Erdrogan took office his casket has been spinning non-stop.

• Like 4

The Truman show
2 hours ago, and then said:

It's pretty easy to predict that this is exactly what will happen to any artifacts or artworks that relate to Christianity.  The new Sultan will demand it.  Erdog is a radical Islamic Fundamentalist and before he dies, he will gut Turkey and cause great suffering to its people.

...like all dictators when they fall from grace their country falls with them. This will be the fate of Turkey. It will be split along ethnic and religious lines in due time. As for this sacrilege, turning the greatest former cathedral in Christendom to a mosque i blame Trump and the leaders of Europe for not putting this mutt in his place.   

The Truman show
50 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Well crap...

I'd say Atatrurk is rolling in his grave, but I'm pretty sure since Erdrogan took office his casket has been spinning non-stop.

Ataturk engineered the expulsion and genocide of the Christian Turkish community. If he's rolling in his grave Ataturk is doing so with joy. 

ethereal_scout

I'm stuck on this one.

What about sharing the building?

Turkey is supposed to be secular and a mixture of the two therefore it might be in keeping with Turkey to share the building between the two.

third_eye

Calm down... 

The Turkish government has stated that, although Muslim religious services will resume at the site, it will remain open to visitors of all nationalities and faiths—much like the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, which has been an active Catholic church as well as a major tourist attraction and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Erdogan’s spokespeople have also stated that Christian iconography inside the Hagia Sophia will continue to be preserved as it has been since the 1930s.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/the-hagia-sophia-is-becoming-a-mosque-again-what-happens-now/

~

The grand old structure is actually better off with religious site status as things stand as far as things goes with circumstances such as it is in the world today. 

~

• Like 1

OverSword
7 hours ago, third_eye said:

Calm down... 

~

The grand old structure is actually better off with religious site status as things stand as far as things goes with circumstances such as it is in the world today. 

~

It was already a world heritage site.  Couldn't really be better recognized or protected in general than that..  Now during the next crusades they'll probably just turn it back to church.

• Haha 1

Big Jim
8 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

I'm stuck on this one.

What about sharing the building?

Turkey is supposed to be secular and a mixture of the two therefore it might be in keeping with Turkey to share the building between the two.

Muslims won't share it.  They don't like sharing air with infidels.

• Thanks 2

Big Jim
11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

i blame Trump

I've seen a lot of your posts over the past few years.  Let's be honest, you'd blame Trump if it rained on your picnic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hammerclaw

The West didn't help the Byzantines hold back the Turks when they took Constantinople, or help the Greeks hold it after they took it back from the Turks after WWI. It's OK. Spain has many Moorish mosques--some quite magnificent--they converted to churches after the Reconquista.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aztek

it is fine, it was a mosque before, as long as they do not close grand bazar, that place is awesome, at least it was last time i was there

• Like 1

Still Waters

Hagia Sophia: Former Istanbul museum welcomes Muslim worshippers

Crowds gathered in Istanbul as the historic Hagia Sophia site opened for Friday prayers for the first time since Turkish authorities ruled it could be converted into a mosque.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53506445

• Like 1

keithisco

It was originally a Christian Church in 547ad.  Now women will be barred from entering many of the sacred Christian side chapels. What is there to celebrate in this ????