Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Current rioting

WVK

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I did watch the whole video.  The  sound was hard to hear, but still, promoting freedom is not the same as rioting.  Why did the person making the video not clariofy what caused the police to react the way they did if it was a protest.  I could tell there was no intention in that woman with the baby to be involved in a riot.  Once things went south, which we did not see the beginning of, she was trying to get out of there. 

It's irrelevant why.  What's relevant is this woman endangered a toddler and should have that kid taken away from her.  Who cares about what the conflict is??? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WVK said:

"Portland police declare ‘riot’ again – as city sees 38th straight day of unrest. Rioters burned American flags “while shouting BLM and antifa slogans,” a local journalist says"

Why no mention by CNN, MSNBC, NYT etc?

Police DECLARE RIOTING, maybe they are not allowed the budget for all that fancy gear unless they use it a certain number of times.  What really happened?  Yeah, I can understand the unrest with cops like that.  What was the source of the protest, what was the theme and why did police decide to turn it into a riot?  The wording sounds like it was a choice, not a situation.  There is only one biased side being reported, what is the other side?  Once you get that then step in the middle and you have a better picture of reality.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

I don't know why people are so shocked the unrest has continued. The demands haven't been met, and this has been going on for decades with multiple black deaths doing nothing to get it to change. You think the protestors give a **** if someone paints Black Lives Matter in front of Trump Tower or the Redskins change their names? No, they want police reform and they want it /now/. This has been coming since 2015 and Ferguson, and since nobody did anything about it, well in the grand American tradition that founded this nation, its time to MAKE it happen. The founders didn't politely ask the King to let them be free, they took that **** by force. The labor movement didn't politely ask the tycoons to give them basic rights and safety protections, they formed unions and MADE them. Women didn't get the right to vote by asking, they marched in the streets until an amendent was born.

That's how it works in this country, if you don't listen to the masses when change is demanded, they will make it happen one way or another.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

It's irrelevant why.  What's relevant is this woman endangered a toddler and should have that kid taken away from her.  Who cares about what the conflict is??? 

only if you decide you need to be angry at someone you don't know for something you don't understand.

• Like 2

And for @Desertrat56 I would say the reason why the whitest city in the USA is rioting daily over BLM is because they can.  White Privilege :tsu: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Police DECLARE RIOTING, maybe they are not allowed the budget for all that fancy gear unless they use it a certain number of times.

Those were HLS, not Portland police so their budget is infinite.

Just now, OverSword said:

Because they know the more the rest of the USA see's cities dominated by democrats going insane and tearing themselves apart the worse Biden's chances in November.

BINGO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But you don't know why the mom happened to be in that area when things went south, you can't make up anything about her.  In order to judge you have to know why she was there and why she had her baby with her.  And it would help to know the real reason things escalated.

I watched the video a couple of times and when the mother was asked why she had her baby there, her friend replied that she was exercising her right to peaceful protest. Okay sure, if the protest was indeed peaceful, but given everything that was going on, why would she (1) remain, and (2) let her child walk about for a bit? Protests, even peaceful ones, are unpredictable, and given that the one where she was at had started blowing up, she should have taken her child and bolted.

The headline about rioters using children as human shields, however, is totally sensationalist and untrue.

Edited by Kittens Are Jerks
Minor correction.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The headline about rioters using children as human shields, however, is totally sensationalist and untrue.

Not totally.  She was having her baby walk where the police were firing teargas and rubber bullets.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, and then said:

If the person can be identified, I think custody should be revoked.  THAT behavior is insane.  It's overtly, blatantly endangering an innocent's life.

straight out of PLA texbook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

Not totally.  She was having her baby walk where the police were firing teargas and rubber bullets.

I did not get the impression that she was deliberately using her child as a shield. 

She was just being stupidly irresponsible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, WVK said:

Because they know the more the rest of the USA see's cities dominated by democrats going insane and tearing themselves apart the worse Biden's chances in November.

Right, because fighting against people trying to expand civil rights in this country has always gone swimmingly for those folks in the history books. That's why you've got Barry Goldwater and George Wallace as national heroes, its not like they're shameful remnants of a past we were supposed to of left behind in the 70s...

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I watched the video a couple of times and when the mother was asked why she had her baby there, her friend replied that she was exercising her right to peaceful protest. Okay sure, if the protest was indeed peaceful, but given everything that was going on, why would she (1) remain, and (2) let her child walk about for a bit? Protests, even peaceful ones, are unpredictable, and given that the one where she was at had started blowing up, she should have taken her child and bolted.

I agree that any sane, reasonable person would not have taken a child to a protest in an area that had been having problems like the ones going on, but the headline was incindiary and took focus off the actual happenings as a manipulative tool to cause people to think 1. that the riot was purposeful by the protestors and 2. ignore the excessive violence from the police.

It happens way too often and people like @OverSword & @WVK are old enough to know better, and should learn to recognize when their are being emotionally manipulated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's hilarious many still wait for mainstream media to verify "the news".

These peaceful protesters in Portland, Oregon have been causing destruction every single night for over a month with tens of millions in damage to property.

• Like 2

Just now, acidhead said:

It's hilarious many still wait for mainstream media to verify "the news".

These peaceful protesters in Portland, Oregon have been causing destruction every single night for over a month with tens of millions in damage to property.

Oh please, I'm from Salem and I visited Portland pretty often, you know how many flaming garbage cans and whatnot we have down there by the train station that aren't related to protestors? I didn't even know hobos actually did that with cans until I saw it at the Amtrak station.

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree that any sane, reasonable person would not have taken a child to a protest in an area that had been having problems like the ones going on, but the headline was incindiary and took focus off the actual happenings as a manipulative tool to cause people to think 1. that the riot was purposeful by the protestors and 2. ignore the excessive violence from the police.

It happens way too often and people like @OverSword & @WVK are old enough to know better, and should learn to recognize when their are being emotionally manipulated.

Emotionally manipulated into thinking that woman needs to have CPS called on her?  M'kay. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Autochthon1990 said:

Right, because fighting against people trying to expand civil rights in this country has always gone swimmingly for those folks in the history books. That's why you've got Barry Goldwater and George Wallace as national heroes, its not like they're shameful remnants of a past we were supposed to of left behind in the 70s...

Presentism is a historical term meaning judging past actions by today’s standards, or uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.

https://www.voicesandimages.com/presentism-dont-judge-ancestors-actions-by-todays-standards/#:~:text=Presentism is a historical term,of modern values and concepts.&text=Try not to make excuses for the past.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WVK said:

Presentism is a historical term meaning judging past actions by today’s standards, or uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.

https://www.voicesandimages.com/presentism-dont-judge-ancestors-actions-by-todays-standards/#:~:text=Presentism is a historical term,of modern values and concepts.&text=Try not to make excuses for the past.

"Don't be a **** to people who have more melanin then you do" really should of been a no-brainer, that's true to an extent, but some **** is just so odious that we should of always known better. Its like how lobotomies for epilepsy was an understandable treatment at the time given that we had barely any idea how neurology worked at all back then, but what happened to Rose Kennedy was an atrocity. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, acidhead said:

And Boomers think Millenials don't know how to use tools...

• Haha 3

Just now, acidhead said:

Dude that's how all urban toilets look, I live in a friggin' ski town in Colorado and the Breckenridge public toilet by the book store looks like its ground zero for a sharpie factory blowing up.

• Haha 4

• The topic was locked