Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The end of the road

XenoFish

I knew about my short circuit in my heart since 18. I always tried to learn and do everything I wanted to because I knew it could just stop at any time.

Now I don't even think about it and just want to stay local, play in my garden, make things from wood and hang around the  house. 

I did quit smoking and increased my workout though because I don't want to be decrepit before the ticker finally stops.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

No fears, no regrets.  I've died a couple times already. 

I'll unfold into it with no resistence this next time round.

• Like 7

Guess I'm just really getting started with my life, even though I'm a quarter of the way through it. I don't think about death really. It's just one of those 'any place any time' things that one doesn't really have much control over. So no fear (at least not for myself), no regrets (as I'm happy with what I've accomplished thus far and with the person I am), and no real concern about leaving loose ends as I ensure that my affairs are always kept in good order. The one positive about my death is that it might save the lives of others. I have made it very clear to my family that all usuable organs are to be donated. They can then stuff what's left of me in a cardboard box and have me cremated. 

• Like 7

I have thought about it since my twenty's, although I have not had an illness to deal with. I have come to the conclusion that its a bigger issue for those of us with a more active imagination? 

My plan A has been denial and so far its been working remarkably well. ;)

• Like 5

I feel like everything I'm doing is to leave something behind. For my kids, my wife, possible grandkids one day (maybe). I'm growing detached from worldly things. I don't think I can really explain it. With my health issues I know that one bad day and I could be gone. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 8

Life is to short, I dont have the time to think about such things. I am comfortable in my skin, while we all have regrets that is part of growth. By my beliefs Buddhism teaches that one life just leads into another, this because of the tenants of Karma and reincarnation. So to me death is just another new beginning, like waking up after a good nights sleep. The only thing that is important is how I follow the teachings, which consist of how we learn from our mistakes, which for me are many:yes:, and what we have done to help our fellow man. This philosophy of putting others before you, and helping those who are lost or in need is what will dictate the direction reincarnation will take, I will either move forward toward enlightenment or back and farther away from it. So I have no fear of what comes next, fear would be foolish anyway, because their is nothing any of us can do to change it, so if anything we should embarrass it, like an old friend we have not seen in many years.:yes::)

• Like 6

Yes I have thought about death - do we not all, at one time or another. 

I am not worried about death itself - the process probably more so. I remember asking my father many years ago, if he worried about dying. "No", he said, "I won't know I'm dead, wont know I ever lived, wont suffer, wont worry about anything. On the other hand I do worry about the process of dying". That stuck with somehow.   

Between now and my time, I just want to be able to do the best by my wife and kids grandkids, and my siblings. and More generally 'do onto others as I would have them do onto me'. 

A quiet life in many ways. 

Will I be proud of the person I was? In some ways yes, in some ways no, but in reality what I think is of little consequence - it is for others to determine. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 7

I think about death too much for my own good, it's something I struggle with.

On one hand death makes it so that we should treat our lives preciously and live it fully, but on the other hand death makes it so that nonething is really important in the end. 

• Like 6

Here's another way to look at it, death can also be discovery, this song was written when the lead singers mother died from cancer. After her death he woke up one morning with this tune in head and some words which he used to write this song. This single event launched this band into stardom which they had been seeking for many years. The song is dedicated to his mother, but it is also dedicated to finding yourself and the discoveries we can all make along the way, so maybe death is just the beginning, for me it's just the next step to my next life.

Enjoy

• Like 4

when I was a kid and got busted up mom told me that as long as I didn't get stabbed in the heart or get my head cut off that I would be okay and cookies and ice cream was the cure. I never expected to see 30 and lived a work hard play hard kind of life then I hit 30 then 40 and quit waiting to die and just do what I want to do for projects. I am here now and one day won't no big deal it's been sweet while it lasted.

jmccr8

• Like 5

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I think about death too much for my own good, it's something I struggle with.

On one hand death makes it so that we should treat our lives preciously and live it fully, but on the other hand death makes it so that nonething is really important in the end. 

You make very intelligent and astute observations. You are grappling with the law of diminishing marginal utility, but there is no end why should there be? I know you are mild mannered mr spartan, but I see you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Did you really live life or just live it like the timer doesn't exist.

I guess we all do, at least to a certain extent.  People can't really live fully if they are focused on what comes after.  I lost my cousin on 7/4 and I've been thinking a LOT more about dying since then.  He was 2 months younger than I and it brings the message home more effectively than anything has in a while.  I've not feared death in many years.  I fear the potential pain and disability that could come with a long, drawn out dying process but NOT the transition I believe in.  I take comfort in that and it frees me to try to focus on each day.  Attending funerals of close friends and family members is a reminder of where all our paths will converge one day.

• Like 6

That's why I love my loved ones long and deeply. I don't make decisions or treat people in a manner I'll regret. I consider my thoughts, words and actions carefully and deliberately. That way, even if someone doesn't forgive me, I know I'm good on my end. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 8

Watching three friends lose their parents within the past year and a half has made me think more about death and what I want to be remembered for.   I strive to be kind, compassionate, and considerate to all.   Some days I do well and other days I fail miserably.   I do not want to leave this world with any regrets or harsh feelings toward anyone.   I am an organ donor so I hope to be able to help others upon my passing.   

• Like 6

Just now, tcgram said:

Watching three friends lose their parents within the past year and a half has made me think more about death and what I want to be remembered for.   I strive to be kind, compassionate, and considerate to all.   Some days I do well and other days I fail miserably.   I do not want to leave this world with any regrets or harsh feelings toward anyone.   I am an organ donor so I hope to be able to help others upon my passing.   

I don't want to be remembered. I'm being bugged to write some sort of book on my Quaker Meeting or the local Lenape, but I refuse. I made pre-arrangements and the undertaker was told to give my ashes to the county for potter's field burial. 

• Like 8

If any of you are considering suicide, because it sounds like you are. I would advise you not to, and play chess with us in the tournament instead.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Green Wasp said:

If any of you are considering suicide, because it sounds like you are. I would advise you not to, and play chess with us in the tournament instead.

Not one of those posts indicated anyone was considering suicide.  Why don't you actually be real and post to the topic?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not one of those posts indicated anyone was considering suicide.  Why don't you actually be real and post to the topic?

Well, according to the list of things to look out for it is ... My bad.

Just now, Green Wasp said:

Well, according to the list of things to look out for it is ... My bad.

So you are not going to answer my question.  That is very telling.

16 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I have been musing about my death recently. No not in the way I used to do. But in a more a "don't know the date, but it will happen" kind of way. So I'm wondering if others have deeply thought about their death, when they no longer exist. We're all going to vanish from this life eventually. Will you be proud of the person you were? Will you have any regrets? Did you really live life or just live it like the timer doesn't exist. Have you embraced death as an old friend and started to live your life fully? 

Please do not turn this into a religious thread. 

I think about it quite often. While I hope to live for a good while yet, it doesn't really bother me. If we vanish entirely, that's just what it is and It's out of our hands, So I don't really see any point dwelling on it anymore.
I was the person that I was, I can't regret after I'm gone and I'll live the best I can and help as many people as possible in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I have been musing about my death recently. No not in the way I used to do. But in a more a "don't know the date, but it will happen" kind of way. So I'm wondering if others have deeply thought about their death, when they no longer exist. We're all going to vanish from this life eventually. Will you be proud of the person you were? Will you have any regrets? Did you really live life or just live it like the timer doesn't exist. Have you embraced death as an old friend and started to live your life fully? 

Please do not turn this into a religious thread. 

I am happy with who I am and the things I have done and accomplished. If you believe you just vanish, then it is your life you are contemplating not your death. You have been dead for billions of years already and you will be dead for billions of more. If you cannot experience anything as the universe ends then  effectively the universe ends at your death. 

I can truthfully say, that when my day arrives, I will be able to express out loud “hoka Hay.”

it’s a Native American term meaning “today is a good day to die.” But it carries more meaning than just the words. It means that you have lived your life in a way that any day is a good day to die. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

So you are not going to answer my question.  That is very telling.

I feel like he had good intentions, just came off the wrong way. 

Edited by spartan max2