Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Face Mask Controversy

bee

Just now, and then said:

I attended a gun show last Saturday and we were packed in like sardines and only about 1 in 5 or 6 were wearing masks.  I always wear one in public.

Every little bit helps. A serious respiratory infection is not to be taken lightly. This is a wild virus, not yet domesticated. It's already killed upwards to 135,000 to 140,000 thousand, here in the States alone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The same public rioting and congregating en masse?

what has forcing law abiding people to wear masks in shops got to do with that?.... how typical to punish those who will not give any trouble but be scared of those who will..... (ie BLM protesters and rioters)

don't get me started on THOSE double standards..

26 minutes ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

@bee might appreciate this article. People you see a lot on this forum very clearly demonstrate the characteristics noted. https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/07/14/muzzling-the-public/

Another thing I think it very clearly is a glorious opportunity for pure, guilt-free puritanism. "Thou must not!" written large on everything. 

thanks.... got to go now will look at it later...

41 minutes ago, bee said:

I think the government will regret this authoritarian move.... ie the mandatory aspect + fines....

when It could have been done another way... like an intense appeal to wear a mask in shops if possible because..... etc etc...
and that would have bumped the numbers up... even though the NHS is coping now anyway and the Nightingale Hospitals were never needed / used...

I feel this is a backward step... treating the public like this after all the co operation...

The spread has been slowed down.... that was the aim.....and that aim has been achieved...

27 minutes ago, bee said:

what has forcing law abiding people to wear masks in shops got to do with that?.... how typical to punish those who will not give any trouble but be scared of those who will..... (ie BLM protesters and rioters)

don't get me started on THOSE double standards..

Bee, I've never seen anyone suffering from this particular virus. However, one Christmas here, my sister took my mother shopping during flu season. Over the holiday, she came down with the flu which quickly morphed into consumptive pneumonia. Dad called me into their bedroom the night after Christmas, worried about her. I was shocked to hear her struggling to breath, wheezing and gurgling, her lungs filling with fluid. I asked him what was wrong with him, she needed to go to hospital. He called the ambulance and they took her. He stayed with her until, exhausted, he came home crying while my sister took over. He thought she was dying. I went to visit her the next day and was horrified at her appearance. They had given her a drug to draw the moisture out of her lungs and she was unconscious and grotesquely bloated. It was my turn to go home crying. However, the next afternoon after work I went to see her and marveled at the change. She was no longer bloated ad was conscious and talking. It was a month before she was well enough to go home. Sitting in her chair and reflecting on the experience, she said to me, "I almost died, didn't I?" I told yes, the doctors said we got her to hospital just in time. This is much like the experience of contracting this virus. Don't you think it better to be guilty of an over-abundance of caution, rather than not bothering to be cautious enough?

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bee, you seem to be ridiculously paranoid and deliberately ignoring the obvious benefits. You're the papageorge of politics. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Have not worn a mask yet, and there are no plans yet for Northern Ireland shoppers to wear one.  I can't see the police enforcing the rule here without it turning nasty.  Just a thought, but what if there is another Islamic terrorist attack in England e.g. shopping centre, and police or security at shop doors is beefed up to the point that they see everyone as potential threats, and if some poor guy decides to barge his way into a shop without a mask on and the altercation causes a trigger happy security or nervous policeman to pull out his gun and take matters too far for what is simply a breakdown in communication between a shopper not wearing a mask, or a mask that does not meet government requirements - assuming there are minimum government requirements regarding the size, and thickness of masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think of it as a great chance to be creative. Be bold, be different, and have fun with it.:clap:

coronavirus-since-respiratory-and-surgical-masks-are-sold-out-due-to-panic-may-i-introduce-my-new-creation-menstrual-pad-coronashield.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Given a choice, at least half of ordinary Americans eschew wearing them. They are uncomfortable and symbolize a significant loss of personal freedom and degradation of the quality of life they had hitherto experienced. They symbolized loss of security, no job, no income, no sports, no summer gatherings, no socialization, no church. They symbolize isolation and loneliness, the very antithesis of American life. The people are walking a razor's edge, many already shucking the whole thing and would rather risk dying free than this interminable living in fear. It's irrational, illogical and quintessentially human. Many conservatives are, also, buying into the idea it is all a plot by liberals to influence the election, or, at least, being taken advantage of by them.

See, if masks were about protecting the wearer this would just be natural selection.

Instead I wonder if it could be counted as manslaughter?

2 hours ago, bee said:

... but I feel making it mandatory to wear masks in shops now is a slap in the face and shows no trust in the General Public...

What harm does wearing a mask do?

None.

What benefits does it have?

Potentially savings many lives.

So just stop whining and put on the mask.

It's like teaching all over again...

Actually, no, kids didn't make up fictional reasons why washing their hands is all part of a conspiracy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bee said:

I think the government will regret this authoritarian move.... ie the mandatory aspect + fines....

when It could have been done another way... like an intense appeal to wear a mask in shops if possible because..... etc etc...
and that would have bumped the numbers up... even though the NHS is coping now anyway and the Nightingale Hospitals were never needed / used...

I feel this is a backward step... treating the public like this after all the co operation...

The spread has been slowed down.... that was the aim.....and that aim has been achieved...

And the spread will rise again as lockdown lifts.

IMO this is exactly the time to bring masks in. The main reason they didn't earlier was because they give a false sense of security. 

Instead the public has had 4 months learning to wash hands regularly and thoroughly, keep 2 metres apart and avoid groups. Now as more people begin to go out again, they put masks on but also keep those habits they've learned.

1 hour ago, TigerBright19 said:

Have not worn a mask yet, and there are no plans yet for Northern Ireland shoppers to wear one.  I can't see the police enforcing the rule here without it turning nasty.  Just a thought, but what if there is another Islamic terrorist attack in England e.g. shopping centre, and police or security at shop doors is beefed up to the point that they see everyone as potential threats, and if some poor guy decides to barge his way into a shop without a mask on and the altercation causes a trigger happy security or nervous policeman to pull out his gun and take matters too far 

Unlikely as they don't have guns...

It's just a little bit extra, it's not an inconvenience. No, masks really aren't that effective. But odds are I'll be a carrier as opposed to getting sick, so I still wear one for those around me. 

• Thanks 1

Something's better than nothing.

5 hours ago, bee said:

I understand that there are arguments for and against

What are the arguments against wearing a mask?

I can't be bothered?

They don't really suit me?

I like spreading lethal viruses?

:blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

See, if masks were about protecting the wearer this would just be natural selection.

Instead I wonder if it could be counted as manslaughter?

Be difficult to meet the burden of proof.

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Unlikely as they don't have guns...

They do in NI.  Bound to be some armed security men at British airports.  What if somebody walks in without a mask, or is late for their flight and is in such a hurry that they neglect to put it on and run through the terminal?  What would airport security do if they saw a group of people running with a manic look in their eyes through the terminal and ignoring security?

Code red.  Suspects are running.  Shoot on sight,  Ask questions later.

7 Things That Went Wrong on My School Trip to Europe | Her Campus

22 minutes ago, acute said:

I can't be bothered?

Putin and Trump told them not to.  there are two posters on the site who won't give it up for some strange reason.  they spread propaganda either because they are hired to do it, or they are just not very smart.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, acute said:

I can't be bothered?

MIne make my breathing difficult and uncomfortable.  I still wear them though; the alternative is a fine and I'll be in the minority so I'll just have to lump it and it's all in a good cause anyway.  Soon the non mask wearers will be pointed at and bullied in the streets.  That'll teach them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Soon the non mask wearers will be pointed at and bullied in the streets.  That'll teach them.

Good!  Assemble the angry mobs, that's what I say!  ;)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bee said:

At the moment I feel that this is an unnecessary and draconian move - that will loose the Government Support...

After everything - to bring this in now feels like a backward step to me...  

I understand that there are arguments for and against but I think making it mandatory will not sit well with many of the public...

There are lots of variables to all this.... like how efficient are masks anyway...?..... or are they more symbolic.....?
Does a beard make a mask useless because a virus can easily get in or out...?
Does wearing a mask cause harm in terms of breathing in more carbon dioxide - breathing in less oxygen and normal fresh air...?
Why do some people think they need to wear a mask when they are alone in a car, walking over fields and /or in open spaces...?

etc

Random link for basic information (BBC)

If it doesn't hurt you in any way, and it could help you or someone else, why not just follow the rules?  It seems that you all (in the UK) have been doing that better than most (except maybe the Australians) for a long time. You let the government take your guns, so why now are you complaining about having to wear a face mask for health reasons, not just your health but the health of the community????

8 hours ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

I won't join in the argument about the Masks of Obedience. I've tried pointing out that they, the kind of cheap cloth/paper/whatever they're made of masks you see advertised in the papers, are utterly useless from a scientific point of view because the gaps between the strands are far too big to be of any practical use in blocking viruses, and that consequently their usefulness at protecting you is precisely zero, and their usefulness at blocking viruses emanating from you is so slim as to be barely measurable. People don't want to know these things. I suppose they want to just show that they're thinking of others and all the rest of the nauseatingly twee sanctimoniousness that's been the major consequence among the general public, or at any rate that portion of it that broadcasts loudly on social media, of the Covidemic. Or perhaps it's just that they want a badge to show their loyalty to the State, and what better badge than one that conceals your face, thus demonstrating that you're happy to suppress your individual identity and your ability to express emotions in any other way than by shouting loudly?>

Over here across the pond we are making masks that have pockets for filters.  The problem is getting the filters, but if you are concerned you can buy masks with filters. 

7 hours ago, bee said:

also how are those who are officially exempt going to get on..?

will they have to wear a badge or have a certificate to show..?.... or will they get bad vibes and suspicious looks (or worse) from all those wearing masks ... like people with asthma or some other problem...?

why didn't the Government just trust the public to be doing the right thing (more or less)....

in a way this feels like a betrayal.... after all the cooperation that the public have shown since March 23rd (Lockdown) to turn round and do this at this stage of it all......

It seems they did to begin with and look where it got us, both you all and the U.S.  These rules would not have been made mandatory if people had acted with caution rather than defiance so that the numbers of cases went up instead of down.

@bee  my daughter just sent me a meme, and it is perfect for this thread.

"You know what's really uncomfortable?  A Bra! But we still wear one in public, not for me, but for others."   :lol:  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 6