Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange TV Control

Dustyrose33

I recently switched programs with Dish TV and something weird is going on with my remote.  It doesn't happen 100% of the time but does 95%.   I switch channels during the day, depending on the time and what shows I want to see.   I've had other remote controls and this has never happened before.

I know what channel the tv is on when I turn it off at night, say 82.   Before I even turn on the tv the next morning I'm thinking I'll turn on the local news channel, which is 12.  Well when I turn on the tv, it's on 12!   Then after the news I turn it off, go do other things for a while.   Then before I turn it back on I'm thinking I'll turn on the game channel, 245, and it's already on 245!

I told my friend about it and she seems to think the remote is computerized and knows what channels I like, but how does it know exactly what channel I'm going to before turning on the tv?

Probably has something to do with the time of day and logs what your habits are.  I never had Dish or other satelite television service.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Probably has something to do with the time of day and logs what your habits are.  I never had Dish or other satelite television service.

Can't say if this is the case or not, however a lot of things seem algorithm based these days.

• Like 2

Could be a ghost that likes the same stuff you like,whoooo :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

Well let me tell a little story.   I live in an apartment where there are elderly people and others not so elderly but have caregivers.  Still others are healthy and fine.  One day two summers ago on a hot day a caregiver for another woman near me helped me in with my groceries and said she used to take care of a woman that had lived in my apartment, and that the woman who was 59 had died of a heart attack.  She didn't say if the woman died in my apartment or in the hospital.

At the end of 0'18 through early 0'19 I had a stay in the hospital and then rehab for physical therapy due to a bad fall.   During that time a friend had to bring me some fresh clothing, and they said while they were in my apartment getting the clothes they could tell they were not alone.  I believed them because I've had a few minor things happen while I've lived here.   If it is that woman's spirit I don't think she wants to hurt me, just let me know she's here.

Something may have happened last night, not sure.  I have a large ceiling fan in my living room, with a chain each for the fan and the light.   At night when I turn the light switch off I like to pull the chain for the fan so it won't come on in the morning when I turn on the light switch.  I thought last night when I switched the light off I pulled the chain for the fan to not come on, but when I switched the light on the fan came on.   Either I forgot to pull the fan switch or something pulled it during the night.

Edited by Dustyrose33

Well it happened again this evening.   The tv had been off a few hours, and was on 245 - the game show channel last.  Then I sat down, had not turned on the tv yet, was just holding the remote when I thought of going to channel 9 for the World News.   So when I turned on the tv, yes, it was on channel 9.   I had not even pushed the 9 to get there.

I'm going to do an experiment tomorrow and after the tv has been off a while think of a station I don't usually go to.  Then turn on the tv, and if it goes to th

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 3

I agree with my friend and think they've got something in that remote that tracks me and is programmed to go to the stations I like.   First time I've ever had a remote like that.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Well it happened again this evening.   The tv had been off a few hours, and was on 245 - the game show channel last.  Then I sat down, had not turned on the tv yet, was just holding the remote when I thought of going to channel 9 for the World News.   So when I turned on the tv, yes, it was on channel 9.   I had not even pushed the 9 to get there.

I'm going to do an experiment tomorrow and after the tv has been off a while think of a station I don't usually go to.  Then turn on the tv, and if it goes to th

That is a good idea.  The experiment might prove that you are more a creature of habit than you think and the television is just following a program based on your habits.

4 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

I agree with my friend and think they've got something in that remote that tracks me and is programmed to go to the stations I like.   First time I've ever had a remote like that.

Could be a friendly ghost helping you.

My lead theory is it is programmed to watch your selection patterns and times. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, diddyman68 said:

After I watch our local news, wrestling comes on and if I go do something and forget to turn it off or change the channel my ghost gets really angry, well one of them does anyway. 

On 7/16/2020 at 10:56 PM, Dustyrose33 said:

I had dish for awhile and I had a similar issue but it was only occasionally and only a few times that I did notice. 

I actually thought someone may have been here watching our t.v. while we were gone but security confirmed no one was here so then i wondered if somehow maybe one of our neighbors remotes interfered with ours.

I know that happens sometimes with garage door openers and also wireless security cameras.

10 hours ago, Jujo-jo said:

I had dish for awhile and I had a similar issue but it was only occasionally and only a few times that I did notice. 

I actually thought someone may have been here watching our t.v. while we were gone but security confirmed no one was here so then i wondered if somehow maybe one of our neighbors remotes interfered with ours.

I know that happens sometimes with garage door openers and also wireless security cameras.

Well the strange thing about it is when I turned the tv off on channel 245, the game channel, then as I pressed the power button to turn it back on with say channel 9 in mind it turned on to channel 9.   It was if it "knew" where I wanted to go.

4 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Well the strange thing about it is when I turned the tv off on channel 245, the game channel, then as I pressed the power button to turn it back on with say channel 9 in mind it turned on to channel 9.   It was if it "knew" where I wanted to go.

Yes that's very strange, hope you keep us posted on this, it's very interesting.

• Thanks 1