Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living megalodon debunked

Carnoferox

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

You smoking the same stuff as the koala? :blink:

Going for the Joe Rogan experience.:lol:

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Resume said:

They could be etheric beings, slipping in and out of this dimension.  Or something like that there.

That's interesting, have you ever tried dimethyltryptamine? 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

That's interesting, have you ever tried dimethyltryptamine? 

Joe-Rogan-Suprised.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

There's also the indirect non-evidence of bite marks...  Whales (and other large marine denizens) have hard lives but they don't lose every battle, and unless the mega manages to kill and completely eat the scarred areas of the victim, they will carry the scars on their bodies.  Scars that are measurable.  Scars that show, to date, nothing bigger than a great white / orca / etc...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 5

Too bad. Mike Tyson was already ready to schedule his next fight, with a megalodon. After a fight with a great white shark.

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, Resume said:

They could be etheric beings, slipping in and out of this dimension.  Or something like that there.

Been watching a bit of Ancient Aliens? I still remember the episode that postulated that that's precisely what the Loch Ness Monster is. An etheric plesiosaur that has gotten unstuck in time. Man.

On another note, hasn't this been fairly well known for a while?

By all accounts Megalodon's primary habitat was fairly shallow ocean. If it was still extant we'd be having frequent sightings of them, not to mention bite-mark evidence of their predation and the like which just isn't there. As cool as it would be to see something like surviving, it just isn't all that plausible.

Giant and colossal squid on the other hand... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Coyote Speaks said:

Been watching a bit of Ancient Aliens? I still remember the episode that postulated that that's precisely what the Loch Ness Monster is. An etheric plesiosaur that has gotten unstuck in time. Man.

See post 6

3 hours ago, Coyote Speaks said:

On another note, hasn't this been fairly well known for a while?

By all accounts Megalodon's primary habitat was fairly shallow ocean. If it was still extant we'd be having frequent sightings of them, not to mention bite-mark evidence of their predation and the like which just isn't there. As cool as it would be to see something like surviving, it just isn't all that plausible.

Giant and colossal squid on the other hand... 

The claims for "recent" teeth and sightings still pop up all the time, and the information debunking them generally isn't well-known. It's gotten worse since the 2014 Discovery Channel mockumentary.

4 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

The claims for "recent" teeth and sightings still pop up all the time, and the information debunking them generally isn't well-known. It's gotten worse since the 2014 Discovery Channel mockumentary.

The mermaid documentary also comes to mind. I haven't seen too many sighting reports, though I have seen very entertaining photoshops - some from here. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Coyote Speaks said:

The mermaid documentary also comes to mind. I haven't seen too many sighting reports, though I have seen very entertaining photoshops - some from here. 

Most of the sightings are old, like the one from 1918, but they keep getting brought up as evidence for survival.

• Like 1

I haven't even read it yet, and I already disagree. How can anyone prove it isn't alive today?

7 minutes ago, Chronus said:

I haven't even read it yet, and I already disagree. How can anyone prove it isn't alive today?

Nobody has to prove it isn't around.

The burden of proof is on the person who claims it is.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Nobody has to prove it isn't around.

The burden of proof is on the person who claims it is.

I just think we shouldn't be so quick to say it is extinct

13 minutes ago, Chronus said:

If you haven't read it then maybe you shouldn't make a judgement? It's pretty easy to prove that megalodon isn't still alive. All of the proposed evidence for its survival, including alleged sightings, can be debunked. Megalodon preferred shallow water and hunted seals and small whales, so we should see it just as often as great whites but we don't.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chronus said:

I just think we shouldn't be so quick to say it is extinct

That's like saying we shouldn't be so quick as to say Tyrannosaurus Rex is extinct. 

Yes, its true I probably shouldn't make assumptions... But scientists think megaladons went extinct 2.6 million years ago, they might've evoled since then, alot possibly.

3 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

That's like saying we shouldn't be so quick as to say Tyrannosaurus Rex is extinct. 

How do you know its dead as well, birds are related to dinosaurs. In fact, they are related to theropods, which is in the sane group a t-rex was in, so either way it means a kind of dinosaur did survive.

6 hours ago, Coyote Speaks said:

Well I never heard of that but that's not the worst theory (well not worst but weird)

6 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Yes, its true I probably shouldn't make assumptions... But scientists think megaladons went extinct 2.6 million years ago, they might've evoled since then, alot possibly.

3.6 million years actually. And no, that is really not enough time to evolve from a shallow water predator into an elusive deep sea form. Even if it did evolve, we still observe large deep sea sharks (like sixgills) pretty regularly so we still should've seen it by now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carnoferox said:

3.6 million years actually. And no, that is really not enough time to evolve from a shallow water predator into an elusive deep sea form. Even if it did evolve, we still observe large deep sea sharks (like sixgills) pretty regularly so we still should've seen it by now.

Should've?

Says who?

The world is filled with mysterious creatures, some we will never see nor know about, I belive the megaladon is just one of them.