Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump calls for TikTok ban

Eldorado

"The presidential campaign of Donald Trump rolled out Facebook advertisements that call for support in banning video-sharing app TikTok, which has been under scrutiny over security issues.

"Earlier this month, Secretary of State Pompeo said that the government is weighing a ban on Chinese social media apps such as TikTok, over security concerns that have plagued the app. Trump’s campaign is apparently urging its supporters to join the cause.

"The Facebook ads, with images that claim “TikTok is spying on you,” were shared on Twitter by ABC News’ Will Steakin and New York Times’ Taylor Lorenz."

Full monty at Digital Trends: https://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/trump-campaign-facebook-ads-tiktok-ban/

"TikTok's UK headquarters in doubt amid US pressure"

BBC report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53462918

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Just now, Eldorado said:

"The Facebook ads, with images that claim “TikTok is spying on you

Pot-kettle award!!!!! :lol:

• Haha 7

American "puppet"

6 days ago · Trump advisor Navarro accuses TikTok's American CEO of being a 'puppet' for working at the Chinese app

~

A victim of it's own success 

Top 10 Countries with the Largest Number of TikTok Users
  • India – 119.3mn users.
  • USA – 39.6mn users.
  • Turkey – 28.4mn users.
  • Russia – 24.3mn users.
  • Mexico – 19.7mn users.
  • Brazil – 18.4mn users.
  • Pakistan – 11.8mn users.
  • Saudi Arabia – 9.7mn users.
Mar 21, 2020

~

• Haha 3

I have been against Tik Toc from their start.   I remember they used to use underage girls dressed sexy for their marketing campaign.   It's a bummer that they have grown like they have.  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's a bummer that they have grown like they have.  

The core principle of capitalism, "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."   

Corollary, advertise your product with scantily clad booth babes.

For some reasons, girls dressed in sexy outfits sell everything from cars to cooling fans for video cards, to men anyway.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

The core principle of capitalism, "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."   

For some reasons, girls dressed in sexy outfits sell everything from cars to cooling fans for video cards, to men anyway.

The rush of blood to the loins renders us half-witted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have never had Tik Tok and glad because I have heard some horror stories about creepers and stalkers on that application. Not to mention the various YouTube videos I have watched from people's experiences, they were quite disturbing.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, Tatetopa said:

True enough.  Anyone sexualizing children need to be stopped.  ANYONE.  

• Thanks 3

China has a Great Fire Wall banning all media from the rest of the world that it can't censor and control.

Until China gets rid of that propaganda fire wall then we should ban anything that comes form behind the wall.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 3:32 PM, Myles said:

I have been against Tik Toc from their start.   I remember they used to use underage girls dressed sexy for their marketing campaign.   It's a bummer that they have grown like they have.  

Tik Toc also censors content that is contrary to CCP narratives and amplifies with algorithms those that spread CCP propaganda. 

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/25/revealed-how-tiktok-censors-videos-that-do-not-please-beijing?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDYAQE%3D#aoh=15955587147727&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ftechnology%2F2019%2Fsep%2F25%2Frevealed-how-tiktok-censors-videos-that-do-not-please-beijing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So if you think that only the leaders of China, Iran, Syria, and North Korea are banning or planning to ban social media please think again. 
Does the U.S. really fit in that list of countries ? And how about the first Amendment ? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

So if you think that only the leaders of China, Iran, Syria, and North Korea are banning or planning to ban social media please think again. 
Does the U.S. really fit in that list of countries ? And how about the first Amendment ? 

Americans are so worried about spewing their hate, spreading their cults and cuddling their guns they don't even realize they have less property rights than anyone else. :lol:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

The question seems more like, should a foreign power be able to run propaganda in the U.S? As my post above show, since it's a Chinese company the Chinese government censors it to push the CCP narrative on the world.

Would you be okay if it was a Russian app and Putin's government was doing this?

Its Tit for tat. Since China bans all media and social media from the West then the CCP can't be surprised when we ban their propaganda. 

We can't give you a fair market if you don't give the rest of the world a fair market.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Would you be okay if it was a Russian app and Putin's government was doing this?

That's what they have Facebook for. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Piney said:

Americans are so worried about spewing their hate, spreading their cults and cuddling their guns they don't even realize they have less property rights than anyone else. :lol:

Right now it sure seems like that Piney but I am sure not all Americans are like that fortunately :D

• Like 2

Just ban it already, the CCP ain't gonna sell even if it was theirs to sell... or even if Trump can print more dollars to wanna buy

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Right now it sure seems like that Piney but I am sure not all Americans are like that fortunately :D

3%.......

.......... which means their armed revolution against the Democrats will last 12 hours. :tu:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The question seems more like, should a foreign power be able to run propaganda in the U.S? As my post above show, since it's a Chinese company the Chinese government censors it to push the CCP narrative on the world.

Its Tit for tat. Since China bans all media and social media from the West then the CCP can't be surprised when we ban their propaganda. 

We can't give you a fair market if you don't give the rest of the world a fair market.

I can tell you that especially because of this pandemic and boredom I thought let's give this TikTok app a try and by watching all these funny short video's of people acting like comedians and actors, people like you and me, it brought a smile on my face and I started to realize that TikTok is actually pretty funny and entertaining. Have you used it yourself and can you give me an example as in how China uses this App as propaganda ? 

Furthermore, talking about Russia, isn't "FaceApp" Russian owned ? Why not ban them as well ? Ridiculous isn't it ? 

And how about the first amendment ? 

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Just ban it already, the CCP ain't gonna sell even if it was theirs to sell... or even if Trump can print more dollars to wanna buy

~

Ban it then a company in the U.S or the West will just make a copy of it like China did with every app it banned :whistle:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I can tell you that especially because of this pandemic and boredom I thought let's give this TikTok app a try and by watching all these funny short video's of people acting like comedians and actors, people like you and me, it brought a smile on my face and I started to realize that TikTok is actually pretty funny and entertaining. Have you used it yourself and can you give me an example as in how China uses this App as propaganda ? 

Furthermore, talking about Russia, isn't "FaceApp" Russian owned ? Why not ban them as well ? Ridiculous isn't it ? 

And how about the first amendment ? 

No one said Tik Tok wasn't entertaining? Sounds like an unintentional straw man.

As for an example check out my link earlier on the thread. But I think common sense already should tell you that they censor things contrary to CCP narrative. 

China has a "great firewall" that bans all things they can't control for that reason. Twitter, Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc. 

When China bans this things there is silence from you, but if another country does you defend the app?

Hell, during the presidential primaries debate China cut off the live stream when a candidate started talking about the Uighurs lol. I have no idea how would could deny that happens.

I don't see why freedom of speech would apply to a foreign power spreading propaganda. You yourself know and have argued on UM that freedom of speech has limits. 

Edited by spartan max2

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Ban it then a company in the U.S or the West will just make a copy of it like China did with every app it banned :whistle:

Go ahead and "steal" it then if you want ... Make a thief of your country and yourself instead of making more ridiculous unfounded accusations against others when all you bleed is hypocrisy, no sympathy for the devil that is you and yours, you're the reason why America is such a joke besides you dear leader. 

Good boy... 

~

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Go ahead and "steal" it then if you want ... Make a thief of your country and yourself instead of making more ridiculous unfounded accusations against others when all you bleed is hypocrisy, no sympathy for the devil that is you and yours, you're the reason why America is such a joke besides you dear leader. 

Good boy... 

~

So China didn't "steal", make an alternative copy, of all the apps it's banned? Lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_mainland_China#Table_of_high-ranking_websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

No alternative Google, Twitter, Facebook? Not only approved news organizations?

:D 

If China blocks and steals all the other apps then they can't be surprised when people stop wanting to give their apps fair market access.

If UM was more meme literate I would add a suprised Pikeachu face lol.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

No one said Tik Tok wasn't entertaining? Sounds like an unintentional straw man.

As for an example check out my link earlier on the thread. But I think common sense already should tell you that they censor things contrary to CCP narrative. 

China has a "great firewall" that bans all things they can't control for that reason. Twitter, Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc. 

When China bans this things there is silence from you, but if another country does you defend the app?

Hell, during the presidential primaries debate China cut off the live stream when a candidate started talking about the Uighurs lol. I have no idea how would could deny that happens.

I don't see why freedom of speech would apply to a foreign power spreading propaganda. You yourself know and have argued on UM that freedom of speech has limits. 

I think everybody knows by now that China bans a lot of things from their citizens in order for their leaders to maintain their status and power and I strongly condemn that.
I think you misunderstood my post. What I am trying to say is that it is kinda unprecedented for "the land of the free" to ban Apps. What's next ? Banning Apps from Canada if Canada becomes some kind of economical threat ?  Do you know how many Apps are made and based in China ? Why are the others not considered to be banned ? And yes I have argued that he freedom of speech should have limits when it comes down to "hate speech" for example. 

In regards to your example link. Did you also read this in the same article “The old guidelines in question are outdated and no longer in use. Today we take localised approaches, including local moderators, local content and moderation policies, local refinement of global policies, and more".

I guess you have not tried the App to see for yourself what's it all about ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I think everybody knows by now that China bans a lot of things from their citizens in order for their leaders to maintain their status and power and I strongly condemn that.
I think you misunderstood my post. What I am trying to say is that it is kinda unprecedented for "the land of the free" to ban Apps. What's next ? Banning Apps from Canada if Canada becomes some kind of economical threat ?  Do you know how many Apps are made and based in China ? Why are the others not considered to be banned ? And yes I have argued that he freedom of speech should have limits when it comes down to "hate speech" for example. 

In regards to your example link. Did you also read this in the same article “The old guidelines in question are outdated and no longer in use. Today we take localised approaches, including local moderators, local content and moderation policies, local refinement of global policies, and more".

I guess you have not tried the App to see for yourself what's it all about ?

Well is Canada going to become a one party dictatorship with human rights violations and then make a "great firewall" to ban all outside influence from the rest of the world and exert censorship and narrative control on it's apps and news media?

In that case then sure, Canadian apps would be under similar scrunity. 

It's not against freedom of speech to ban China from being able to censor free speech. It's to protect free speech.

Also, no I don't use Tik Tok. Why in the world would I be using an app that I think should be banned? Lol. That would be pretty hypocritical. 

But yes I know what it is about, I'm 26 dude lol. I used Vine, I use most of the other apps and I know of tons of Tik Tok clips from them being shown on other platforms.